Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   seasickness. what do you do to prevent it? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=13793)

crashfromamesbury 03-24-2004 04:43 PM

seasickness. what do you do to prevent it?

i saw a post somewhere on another board and people were asking for suggestions.. besides the obvious, dramamine ..

what do people do here..? i have only been sick once.. but that was my own fault.. heavy night of partying, followed by a slimy greasy breakfast and then 8ft seas while party boat fishing. you know the result..

:yak4: :yak4: :sick: :yak6: :yak5:

missing link 03-24-2004 04:51 PM

...Yes no nasty food.... Drink gingerale.... and Chew on some ginger root... yes sound weird but it works

My 2cents

TheRattBoy 03-24-2004 07:08 PM

Fish from shore:smash: :smash: , sorry I couldn't resist:D If I'm going out on a boat the main thing I do is watch what I eat, no greasy foods, eat light, drink water...then again I only go on a boat once a season....:) johnny "tRB"

Nebe 03-24-2004 07:22 PM

get smashed the night before so your hangover over powers the sea sickness:D

just joking... ginger and stare at the horizon works for me.... I get seasick real easy. :smash:

Goose 03-24-2004 07:28 PM

Stay away from greasy foods the night before...salad.
Get some sleep.
Take a good dump before you leave the house and at the ramp.
Do not try an chew fresh ginger root sold at super markets...buy the ginger pills.
Stay alert on board and keep your mind at the job at hand, stay involved.
Keep catching you'll forget all about it.;)

beachwalker 03-24-2004 07:34 PM

quit fishing ;)

Scotch Bonnet 03-24-2004 07:40 PM

I don't eat anything the whole time I'm out. Coffee and Diet Coke only. I only get seasick when I can't see land:confused:

striprman 03-24-2004 08:14 PM

Take a dramamine or 2 and chew some gum

I only got seasick 1 time in 12 foot seas, constant pounding,

I never got seasick in "rollers" or swells, just heavy duty
12 foot breakers
the boat was going slam....slam...slam...rising 12 -15 feet between waves.
I caught 2 30 pound cod that day, but spent most of it laying down in the cabin

rexhamer 03-25-2004 09:02 AM

Seriously - take one dramamine the night before you're going out. It needs to get into your system to be effective. You can take another one just before heading out. Do not wait until you are beginning to feel nauseous, it will be too late then.

Don't get hammered the night before (duh). Light breakfast. Ginger ale and diet coke on board, and maybe some crackers.

Enjoy!

Van 03-25-2004 09:46 AM

Puke your guts out before you board for the day.

Seriously a charter guy I know has terrible problem with it.
He has an electronic wrist "thingy" that gives a small pulse. he says he knows if the batteries wear out he will start spewin !
I think it is costly though.
I keep those wrist pressure button things on board, but I've never used them, and neither has anyone on board. So I don't know if they work.

Notaro 03-25-2004 12:24 PM

I never take a dump before going on a boat because I can't relax. Don't eat anything greasy or cheesy and always take a non-drowsy draminea an hour before sailing. Bring some gingerales and some snacks.

jugstah 03-25-2004 12:31 PM

some people smoke 420 to prevent seasickness...

me, i need nothin... i got salt in my blood.. fish in my head... arr there matey, i think i wuz me a pirate in me blood generations back!

Jimbo 03-25-2004 12:35 PM

If you go with a prescription, I've had good luck with Transderm Scop. It's a small patch that goes behind your ear. No drowsiness, thirst, or loss of appetite. In rough seas it could get wet and come off, but you put it on the night before so by then it's in your system. I've heard ginger anything (ginger snaps, ginger ale, etc) are good to have along, too.

chris L 03-25-2004 02:02 PM

ask bassmaster .

Never been myself ( YET ) , seen plenty of others .

Rappin Mikey 03-25-2004 03:35 PM

I got sea legs. Never been sea sick. Same thing with the Rick-man. We were out on the water every weekend until we were in our early teens on our dad's Sea Ray. So, I think you have to do earlier pro-active measures. Start training your inner-ear during the early years.

goosefish 03-25-2004 04:04 PM

I spent many years on draggers, and even with the birds down, the stabilizers set, these boats roll like a doggone barrel. I've seen many a man's bile, too sick to go down below, happier hunkered down by the winch, in the lee of the wind, waiting for yet another haul back. I'd say to these guys that the key in my opinion is to get your sea legs, and the only way to do this is to get sick, that you'll feel better the next trip. And generally they do. Ginger helps, fluids, staring at the horizon, stay away from the galley, get clear of the exhaust fumes, don't hang out in the engine room. Go down into the fish hold where the motion of the boat is the easiest to deal with--below the water line, mid-ships, nice and cold.

Notaro 03-26-2004 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by chris L
ask bassmaster .

Never been myself ( YET ) , seen plenty of others .

Right, you should have seen Davwe on our cod trip...:laughs: :p Sorry, Davey.

crashfromamesbury 03-26-2004 01:03 AM

i knew that was coming.. i did not want to throw bassmaster to the dogs.. i have seen what seasickness can do to even teh most seaworthy of legs..

but Dave what do you suggest???

now that the gauntlet has been thrown..

Notaro 03-26-2004 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by crashfromamesbury
i knew that was coming.. i did not want to throw bassmaster to the dogs..
but Dave what do you suggest???

now that the gauntlet has been thrown..

:hihi: :humpty: :bshake:
:p Damn right. Well, you should ask a better question, ask Dave what could he have done to prevent himself from that very day we went on a cod trip.

Bawana 03-26-2004 02:14 PM

doesnt seem to bother me its worse when I get back after rocking all day and everthing seems to keep moving.Had to hold bucket for the old lady one time for about four hours(hull to falmouth) after nice big cheese burger at dock I had the fried clams and was fine???dont figure

gdurham75 03-26-2004 09:02 PM

yakkin on the high seas

I don't get sea sick,,,I am so fired up about going to go fishing, that i never feel queesy.....but....i would suggest for all of thise who do have the barf prone tummy....just eat nice dry breakfast...and friggin fish man....no time to yakk,,,,just fish!:smash: :smash: :laughs:

fishweewee 03-26-2004 09:27 PM

I find Dramamine knocks me out too much.

This is the best remedy out there...

http://www.transdermscop.com