Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Yellow jackets (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=97527)

bart 07-15-2021 01:19 PM

Yellow jackets

So I stumbled upon a nest while mowing the lawn today. First time in a while, fun experience.

Any tips on getting rid of them? Obviously the nest is under the surface and I’ve marked it….

There seems to be an overwhelmingly abundance of ways to do this. I know about gasoline, but don’t want to blow up the yard (scarred from high school bonfires). But I think gasoline alone would work? Dish soap? Should I just get spray? Anyone have suggestions/insight?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I’ll have my red light on tonight or early am, and I’ll be wearing double layers, which didn’t seem to help today…

Thanks in advance.
Rob

spence 07-15-2021 02:35 PM

Just get spray, hit it at night if you want to be safe. If it's underground you may have to hit it a few times.

The Dad Fisherman 07-15-2021 03:13 PM

Go take care of it after dark, get a can of that foaming hornet spray and just blast into the opening. They can’t get out once you start.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bart 07-15-2021 03:16 PM

Ok great thank you both for the advice. Didn’t know if the spray was sufficient enough. Thanks

spence 07-15-2021 03:39 PM

A few summers ago I had a nest in a wall likely. Probably sucked up 200 of the suckers in the house with a vacuum. Fortunately when away from the nest and alone they aren't very aggressive.

bart 07-15-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 1212259)
A few summers ago I had a nest in a wall likely. Probably sucked up 200 of the suckers in the house with a vacuum. Fortunately when away from the nest and alone they aren't very aggressive.

That would’ve been a no bueno situation here. 2 family members who are allergic.

I’ve never even seen them in this part of the yard before, but there’s a plethora of chipmunks. I wonder if yellow jackets use some of the same holes/tunnels that chipmunks dig?

Last time I stumbled upon a nest was maybe 10 years ago. My neighbor at the time, a super cool professor from Harvard, was drinking a beer on his deck watching me go ballistic. He was laughing his ass off as I fled and left the mower for dead. I felt like a real man that day. Later on, I just filled the hole with dirt and that seemed to remedy the situation.

wdmso 07-15-2021 06:10 PM

I had them in the house made the mistake of spraying the nest then blocking the hole . Bad idea the ones i didn't kill traveled thru my walls and into the house ..had to call an exterminator he used some powder they track in and it kills them all in like a day .. called tempo dust or delta dust cost a lot more than a can of spray . but it works better

bart 07-15-2021 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1212263)
I had them in the house made the mistake of spraying the nest then blocking the hole . Bad idea the ones i didn't kill traveled thru my walls and into the house ..had to call an exterminator he used some powder they track in and it kills them all in like a day .. called tempo dust or delta dust cost a lot more than a can of spray . but it works better

Thanks, Wayne. I hadn’t planned on covering the hole this time, but I did read something similar to what you mentioned. Not sure if it’s the same thing, but most suggest the spray and then immediately following up with a dusting of another chemical. Maybe that’s what you’re referring to (?)

Regardless, thanks for chiming in.

Rockfish9 07-16-2021 09:45 AM

under ground ones are tough to get at, after the "bees" are in the nest at night, use a turkey baster to inject 7 powder down the hole, in the morning, they will come to the surface and look for another way "out" once the encounter it, the powder clings to their bodies and is carried back to the nest killing the larvae and queen.

Got Stripers 07-17-2021 04:30 AM

Had them in one room a few years back couldn’t for the life of me figure out how they were getting in, but luckily they move the nest year to year and next year and since they are gone. Remember as a kid daring our friends to get close and throw a rock at the nest under the big bolder, always a good dare.

The Dad Fisherman 07-17-2021 07:55 AM

When I was two I stuck a stick in a yellow jacket nest and got tore up. Ended up in the hospital. Nasty #^&#^&#^&#^&ers.

bart 07-17-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfish9 (Post 1212279)
under ground ones are tough to get at, after the "bees" are in the nest at night, use a turkey baster to inject 7 powder down the hole, in the morning, they will come to the surface and look for another way "out" once the encounter it, the powder clings to their bodies and is carried back to the nest killing the larvae and queen.

Thanks for the insight. Between sporadic rain and maybe insufficient spray/user error I still can’t get rid of them. I will look for 7 powder. I think one of the main issues is that they have multiple entryways. Pain in the ass ( and my back where they stuck me multiple times…)

bart 07-17-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1212322)
When I was two I stuck a stick in a yellow jacket nest and got tore up. Ended up in the hospital. Nasty #^&#^&#^&#^&ers.

2 years old… that’s must’ve been terrible.

bart 07-17-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1212317)
Had them in one room a few years back couldn’t for the life of me figure out how they were getting in, but luckily they move the nest year to year and next year and since they are gone. Remember as a kid daring our friends to get close and throw a rock at the nest under the big bolder, always a good dare.

Lol

bart 07-26-2021 12:41 PM

The dust did the trick. Thanks for the tips!

piemma 08-06-2021 03:46 PM

One of our dogs has become a magnet for yellow jackets. Poor little bastard has been stung 3 days in a row. I keep finding nests in the ground (flower beds, edge of lawn, etc) and spray but they are prolific this year.

spence 08-06-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1212693)
One of our dogs has become a magnet for yellow jackets. Poor little bastard has been stung 3 days in a row. I keep finding nests in the ground (flower beds, edge of lawn, etc) and spray but they are prolific this year.

When was the last bath? Could have pheromones in the fur.