Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   graspable secondary rail options? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=76197)

RIJIMMY 02-23-2012 03:03 PM

graspable secondary rail options?

Had a home inspection and our deck stairs needs a "graspable" handrail. Its only 4 steps and current railing is 40" or so long. I've been to Home Depot and checked online and cant find any easy options. I am looking for something I can bolt on to the existing railing or end beams.
for something that is supposedly "code" it seems no one really offers an easy solution. I found secondary railings online, pvc/aluminum, but they're white and only in 8' sections. I would think this is an easy thing but I am coming up empty?
Any thought?

nightfighter 02-23-2012 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this to satisfy the inspector or are you selling?

Simple way is buy a piece of round handrail about five feet. It will have a flat section on the bottom. Check your layout and cut to length Prime and paint. Get two railing wall brackets and fasten onto posts. Only thing with attaching to posts is you will not be able to make a return with a 45 degree miter, as it will carry beyond the posts. Position 32-34" up from front of stair treads.

basswipe 02-24-2012 07:01 AM

If you're not in any major hurry I go back to work this coming Wed.We have all kinds of left over stock in our warehouse.I'll check to see if there's any railing stock(maybe even some brackets),if there's any I'll let you know and if you happen to be in the Newport area its yours.

Raven 02-24-2012 07:07 AM

i have seen many a deck railing made with a 2x4 on edge
that was bumped out so you could still grasp it
with oak (or other hard wood) spacer blocks....

i just thought this was an alternative cheaper way to go

RIJIMMY 02-27-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 922808)
Is this to satisfy the inspector or are you selling?

Simple way is buy a piece of round handrail about five feet. It will have a flat section on the bottom. Check your layout and cut to length Prime and paint. Get two railing wall brackets and fasten onto posts. Only thing with attaching to posts is you will not be able to make a return with a 45 degree miter, as it will carry beyond the posts. Position 32-34" up from front of stair treads.

Thanks, thats what I did, works fine. I didnt do a return, just a straight rail. Length was a little shorter than 3 feet to allow the deck gate to close.
We are selling and had a pre-inspection.

BW - thanks for the offer! I am all set now.

fishbones 02-27-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 923549)
Thanks, thats what I did, works fine. I didnt do a return, just a straight rail. Length was a little shorter than 3 feet to allow the deck gate to close.
We are selling and had a pre-inspection.

BW - thanks for the offer! I am all set now.

Good luck selling in Mansfield. I heard they don't even let kids eat cupcakes in that town.

RIJIMMY 02-27-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 923555)
Good luck selling in Mansfield. I heard they don't even let kids eat cupcakes in that town.

sad but true