Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   NMFS TUNA NEWS (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=76943)

keeperreaper 04-05-2012 05:55 PM

NMFS TUNA NEWS

Atlantic Highly Migratory Species News

The National Marine Fisheries Service is taking two actions regarding
the recreational Atlantic bluefin tuna (BFT) Angling category fishery:

(1) closure of the southern area trophy BFT fishery (73" or greater)
for the remainder of 2012, and

(2) adjustment of the daily retention limit that applies to the HMS
Charter/Headboat category (when fishing recreationally) to: 1 school
BFT (27 to <47”) and 1 large school/small medium BFT (47 to <73”) per
vessel. The recreational daily retention limit that applies to HMS
Angling category vessels remains at the default level of 1 school,
large school, or small medium BFT (27 to <73”) per vessel.

This action will be effective on April 7, 2012.

For more information, please see the attached notice or go to the HMS
Division website at:
Office of Sustainable Fisheries hms/breaking_news.htm

Padawan 04-05-2012 06:15 PM

so if you are fishing recreational you are allowed 2 fish? 1 from 27-47 and the other is 47-73?

PRBuzz 04-05-2012 06:27 PM

Thanks, I'm good with 1 fish >27 - <73" per day!

jasonsnova 04-05-2012 07:12 PM

where does the southern trophy bft area start and end? And why are they going after the rec guys? seems to me there is alot more commercial bft boats than rec ones....???
gotta love that the commercial guys can take the big ones and the rec guys get the little ones, dont they know little fish grow up to be big fish...

Piscator 04-05-2012 07:34 PM

I get what you are saying but it is harder for the gov to track catch if recs dont report the catch. Im a rec guy and still dont know how i feel about it. One thing to consider is, Does a rec guy really need a 600 plus lbs fish? I wouldn't know what to do with all that meat.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

thefishingfreak 04-05-2012 07:55 PM

Rec Is only one fish, from 27-73.
charter headboat can take two fish. One 27-47 & one 47-73

The southern trophy area ends at great egg inlet NJ and they can take it away for everyone come June 1st like last year

Also this year you will be required to place a carcass tag on every dead bluefin in order to report it. No carcass tag-means Its not a legal fish. Most likely you will get 5 tags at any local bait shop and when you report those 5 tags, you will get more.
if this system doesnt work, the next drastic step will require you to bring all dead tuna to a tagging station similar to deer.
All of these fish need to be reported. If you don't report them they just give the quota to somebody else.

Piscator 04-05-2012 08:03 PM

Freak,

How does it work if you are a Comm and Charter Headboat (or can you be both). If you are both, is it dictated by the first fish you keep?

thefishingfreak 04-05-2012 08:05 PM

Yes exactly charter headboat is gen cat & rec cat, depending on the 1st fish killed for that day.

big jay 04-05-2012 08:43 PM

Isn't that tag system just a pilot program that some of the GH boats are participating in?

thefishingfreak 04-05-2012 08:49 PM

I thought it was a done deal coming in june? I'll find out for sure at Tuesday's meeting

Piscator 04-05-2012 09:00 PM

It is a pilot only program this year. Anyone can participate but it is mostly the GH and Scituate guys.

Freak, I'm going Tuesday but will be about an hour late. T-ball coaches meeting will cause my delay.........

buckmanjr 04-05-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonsnova (Post 931623)
where does the southern trophy bft area start and end? And why are they going after the rec guys? seems to me there is alot more commercial bft boats than rec ones....???
gotta love that the commercial guys can take the big ones and the rec guys get the little ones, dont they know little fish grow up to be big fish...

This isnt a case of NMFS "going after" the rec guys. These are actually good for the rec guys, no more slot limit.

Typhoon 04-06-2012 06:08 AM

I'm sure I'll be shot for saying this. I liked the slot limit. I hold a charter permit.

I also heard talk that they could conceivably shut down the rec and charter quota early this year.

Raider Ronnie 04-06-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 931633)
Yes exactly charter headboat is gen cat & rec cat, depending on the 1st fish killed for that day.

Not many charter boats have a solas raft for 8 people let alone 8 survival suits as would be required if you have a 6 person 2 crew charter and get a fish to sell.
Don't know if it would ever be policed but your supposed to make the decision prior and have have all the required safety gear or every passenger when commercial, so technically saying depending on 1st fish killed is not correct.

thefishingfreak 04-06-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 931671)
Not many charter boats have a solas raft for 8 people let alone 8 survival suits as would be required if you have a 6 person 2 crew charter and get a fish to sell.
Don't know if it would ever be policed but your supposed to make the decision prior and have have all the required safety gear or every passenger when commercial, so technically saying depending on 1st fish killed is not correct.

you only need a solas raft if your documented, and more than 50 miles from the coast, state registered boats never need a Solas raft.
Also you also do not need survival suits in july, aug, or sept.

http://www.uscg.mil/d1/prevention/Co...gest-20081.pdf

Piscator 04-06-2012 07:54 AM

I think they should make these rules a little more complicated

Raider Ronnie 04-06-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 931678)
you only need a solas raft if your documented, and more than 50 miles from the coast, state registered boats never need a Solas raft.

Vessels 5 net ton displacement + supposed to be documented according to cg.

Slick Moedee 04-06-2012 08:08 AM

Be careful

what you ask for...

The only reason they would close early is if we hit a lot of those larger rec fish 65 -72" as they can chew-up the rec quota quickly. Re: number of comm vs. rec permits, rec dwarfs the comm (~23k to ~4k).

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/Saf...HAPTER%208.pdf

Typhoon 04-06-2012 08:49 AM

Make the comm regs cut and dry and easily found.

Make it easy to read.

One boarding officers interpretation of the rules are different than the next boarding officers interpretation

I'm hearing that all vessels current involved in commercial sale will need to take a mandatory class now.

niko 04-06-2012 10:25 AM

Who is the speaker Tuesday?

Mr. Sandman 04-06-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 931626)
I get what you are saying but it is harder for the gov to track catch if recs dont report the catch. Im a rec guy and still dont know how i feel about it. One thing to consider is, Does a rec guy really need a 600 plus lbs fish? I wouldn't know what to do with all that meat.

You want to know what really happens when "recs" (guys without a capt's lic, appropriate equipment and permits) go fishing for and bring home a 600# fish...

They loin it out and sell it to restaurants who only want a loin or a portion of a loin. Few places even want an entire fish like that as they can't use it all fast enough.
Does this fisherman report anything? ... You have to be kidding. Nothing gets reported from the buyer or seller.

I am telling you the entire fishery from Feds down to the local government needs to be completely gutted and re-thought from the top down.

I try very hard to follow all the rules, but it makes me sick when many "professionals" just circumvent the system for their own convenience. Granted many of the rules suck and they don't make much common sense but I would like to see rules that provide the incentive for the angler (rec or comm) to do the right thing.

thefishingfreak 04-06-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko (Post 931721)
Who is the speaker Tuesday?

MEETING NOTICE
Tuesday April 10, 2012 @ 7:00 p.m.
Stellwagen Bank Charter Boat Association. Charter boats of Stellwagen and the western Gulf of Maine.
Meeting Location
Marshfield Tavern
1 Proprietor’s Drive
Marshfield , MA
(Located behind Roche Brothers Super Market)
This location is 4/10th of a mile east of the Ming Dynasty and
on the opposite side of Rt. 139
#^&
Guest Speaker:
Greg Skomal, PhD of Mass DMF will provide an overview of the voluntary Bluefin Tuna Carcass Tagging Pilot Program and then an over of some of his scientific research endeavors.
#^&
Captains, Mates and interested Fishermen should attend.
#^&
As a member of SBCBA you are also eligible for discounts from Sea Tow, West Marine/Port Supply, Westerbeke Fishing Gear Company, Inc., RNR Marine and Life Raft Survival Equipment, Inc details are attached. Take advantage of these discounts now for those companies that support the SBCBA.
#^&

thefishingfreak 04-06-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie (Post 931689)
Vessels 5 net ton displacement + supposed to be documented according to cg.

I called on that. They said its not enforced and if you were to hire a professional surveyor to specifically calculate net tonnage most boats would be way under. His example was a recent 47 footer with an 18 foot beam came in at 2 tons. So by simple calculations (LxBxD-:-100)x67=gross tonnage, will be way over 5 on most boats. and net is Gross x.80 or 80% of gross. So the coast guard "says" most vessels over 25' will be 5tons but in reality not so much.

How do you think they get away with commercially fishing Canadian boats? Canadian boats can't be documented

MikeD 04-06-2012 11:17 AM

So a rec guy can keep one fish with in the 27"-73" range. Is this a bigger range than last season? For some reason I feel like we were releasing fish that were over 59.5" last year.

big jay 04-06-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 931642)
I thought it was a done deal coming in june? I'll find out for sure at Tuesday's meeting

Let me know, I can't go Tuesday. I stopped paying attention mid-way through the Q/A session after Mollys talk at the last one.

I would have given anything for a mute button on a couple of those guys...

jasonsnova 04-06-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 931678)

so if thats the case how come 99% of guys that are rec dont get commercial permits instead of rec ones and just fish tuna july-august? Most the tuna i see are july on in the area i fish. From what i could tell the biggest thing holding back most from going from rec to commercial was the survial suits and rafts......am i missing something? Is there more reqiured?

thefishingfreak 04-06-2012 12:03 PM

Because comm is giants only, No school fish.
Charter headboat you need a captains license.

Also I didn't say you don't need a raft, it's just a certain class of raft

Typhoon 04-06-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman (Post 931723)
You want to know what really happens when "recs" (guys without a capt's lic, appropriate equipment and permits) go fishing for and bring home a 600# fish...

They loin it out and sell it to restaurants who only want a loin or a portion of a loin. Few places even want an entire fish like that as they can't use it all fast enough.
Does this fisherman report anything? ... You have to be kidding. Nothing gets reported from the buyer or seller.

I am telling you the entire fishery from Feds down to the local government needs to be completely gutted and re-thought from the top down.

I try very hard to follow all the rules, but it makes me sick when many "professionals" just circumvent the system for their own convenience. Granted many of the rules suck and they don't make much common sense but I would like to see rules that provide the incentive for the angler (rec or comm) to do the right thing.

They made an example of a guy locally. It was not pretty. He lost his license to fish permanently and took his boat.

Commercial guys had enough of him selling to restaurants.

buckmanjr 04-06-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonsnova (Post 931747)
so if thats the case how come 99% of guys that are rec dont get commercial permits instead of rec ones and just fish tuna july-august? Most the tuna i see are july on in the area i fish. From what i could tell the biggest thing holding back most from going from rec to commercial was the survial suits and rafts......am i missing something? Is there more reqiured?

Because a rec wants to keep a 27-72'' fish and eat it, if they got a general cat permit, they can only kill 73''+ fish and sell them.

Piscator 05-14-2012 10:12 AM

NMFS Tuna Update

Atlantic Highly Migratory Species News
The National Marine Fisheries Service is adjusting the General category Atlantic bluefin tuna daily retention limit to three large medium or giant (73 inches or greater curved fork length) bluefin tuna effective June 1-August 31, 2012. This limit applies to vessels permitted in the Atlantic tunas General category, and to vessels permitted in the HMS Charter/Headboat category while fishing commercially.

NMFS will continue to monitor the fishery closely through dealer reports. Depending on fishing effort and catch rates, NMFS may determine that additional retention limit adjustments are necessary to ensure available quota is not exceeded or to enhance scientific data collection from, and fishing opportunities in, all geographic areas.