Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Generators (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=89505)

Rockport24 11-13-2015 11:25 AM

Generators

Thinking about getting a gas powered generator for the winter in case we lose power. Would want to hook it up to my panel so that I could run the fridge and boiler/heating system.
Who has done this? what kind of cost am I looking at? (I would need to pay someone to wire it, unless its really easy) is it all worth it?

I don't know how prone my area is to outages in storms, but I'm in in the woods so all it takes is one tree to go down..

nightfighter 11-13-2015 06:09 PM

Couple comments;

Not cheap if you don't have a need for it. $2000 for new generator. Maybe 500 for electrical if your box is somewhat clean. These are the low end of the scale.

NEVER operate the generator inside basement or attached garage.

Why don't you do some research on how frequently your general area or town has had extended power losses within the past three years. Take note of the power lines and the proximity to trees as you drive in and out of your property. Pay special attention to this on your own property.

tysdad115 11-13-2015 09:22 PM

I have a generator , big enough to power heat ,refrigerator, hot water, kitchen, and a few lights. Gen was 1k , transfer switch was 200? , my friend (licensed electrician) wired it free. I got it a few years ago after being without power for 9 days during the winter. Never again. It can be a pain to keep gas in it but I didn't have 8 grand to get a natural gas system. For peace of mind it was well worth it. Of course we haven't lost power at all since I bought it dammit..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

buckman 11-14-2015 07:45 AM

I used to run a cord with a male end and plug it in to a garage outlet and back feed the whole house . You have to remove the main breaker or you will back feed the street ( and possible electrocute a line worker ) . A little red neck but it works .

Raven 11-14-2015 09:07 AM

8500 watts was recommended in my neck of the woods

spence 11-14-2015 10:54 AM

I've considered a natural gas power system. Pricey but I can get a great discount through work. We just don't lose power enough to justify, but when it's out for a day that would be so nice...

Guppy 11-14-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 1086345)
I used to run a cord with a male end and plug it in to a garage outlet and back feed the whole house . You have to remove the main breaker or you will back feed the street ( and possible electrocute a line worker ) . A little red neck but it works .

Pretty much my setup,,, have a sub panel in garage for essentials, heat & cold beer, cord from shed with male end, shut off main breaker...

Raven 11-15-2015 08:03 AM

best brand or best motor

honda?

any info would be helpful

according to my electrician

where i am....it's a Must - have

i already have all the electrical panels
set up for it -just no generator "yet"

Rockport24 11-16-2015 11:45 AM

thanks for the advice gents
my power is underground from the street, but the power lines are all right up against trees up and down the street. I'll talk to my neighbors to get a feel for it.
Reason I am so worried is that I spend last winter across the street from the ocean in Rockport and lost power for 24 hours in the first big blizzard we had. Luckily we knew we could head across the street to my neighbor who has a propane generator, saved our asses big time with two small kids.