Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Nasty Cold! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=55177)

BigFish 02-14-2009 09:50 AM

Nasty Cold!

I have been battling a nasty cold the last few days and it has been getting the best of me...settling in my chest! Anyone else fighting the same thing??? Miserable!:hs:

On a good note...forget what the ground hog said....I get a cold every Fall.....and every Spring when the weather breaks......Spring is coming early as I usually do not get this until late march!:kewl:

HESH2 02-14-2009 10:06 AM

had a 6week cold end of year.wed that 50 degree day went out fishing and felt great.that nite started feeling rotten and got head cold,runny nose whole program.son told me to try alka skeltzer cold tablets.starting to feel somewhat better today.can't wait till spring and better weather.

redneck24 02-14-2009 10:08 AM

im on week #4 it keeps switching from chest to head to throat, no fun i even have an ear infection.

cheferson 02-14-2009 10:52 AM

Just got over it. Had it for 10 days. Roommate and his gf have it now

BigBo 02-14-2009 01:59 PM

Running about six weeks in my household too. Go to the doc and get on some strong anti-biotics. Now!

joe the plumber 02-14-2009 04:11 PM

Bigbo,
Drink some brandy.I know it dosn't cure anything,but so much better than over counter cures.Going on antibiotics spells the end of brandy therapy.
I tried Zicam for the first time this year.I too allways get colds at the time of changing seasons.Maybe its just in my head but I swear the Zicam knocked prevented colds on 2 occasions since the first of the year.

rivsie11 02-14-2009 04:19 PM

Had it for three weeks around Christmas. Nearly passed out from coughing numerous times. Every time I thought I was getting better it came back.

ProfessorM 02-14-2009 04:33 PM

just getting over a cold but not a real bad one. Had a nice stint of puking mixed in too which did set me on my ass for a day or 2 . Got to luv variety. Hope you all feel better soon.

justplugit 02-14-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe the plumber (Post 664455)
Bigbo,

I tried Zicam for the first time this year.Maybe its just in my head but I swear the Zicam knocked prevented colds on 2 occasions since the first of the year.

Joe, it's not in your head, that stuff works like magic. :hihi:
I've used zinc lozenges for years with good success , but they get my stomach, so i switched to Zicam last year.
Trick is to use it as soon as you feel it coming on. Prevents it like you say. :D

Larry, try Mucinex or Mucinex D for your congestion. They are over the counter too.

Raven 02-14-2009 05:37 PM

use Spices

Mentholatum on your chest helps you breath

Spicey food doubles your ability to fight off the cold

EATING bio flavonoids in the white strings in between
sections from oranges helps C work much better.

but Garlic is natures antibiotic

the difference between garlic and doctor prescribed
antibiotics is that garlic doesn't kill off the good bacteria
in your colon like the "cillans" do... they wipe out everything.

joe the plumber 02-14-2009 06:10 PM

Raven
Please tell me more about how you use garlic.Do you take a pill? Or eat it in your food or both?
Do you use it as an antibiotic?I have read and heard alot about the benefits of garlic but never this before.Thanks

BigFish 02-14-2009 06:35 PM

Angie made some homemade chicken soup and we are about to sit down to it! It is a cure all and after I eat it this my nose will run like a faucet!:btu:

Raven 02-14-2009 07:15 PM

Garlic

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe the plumber (Post 664478)
Raven
Please tell me more about how you use garlic.Do you take a pill? Or eat it in your food or both?
Do you use it as an antibiotic?I have read and heard alot about the benefits of garlic but never this before.Thanks

Garlic has the ability to grow without any water...
it has allot of stored energy in that bulb

how you peel garlic is everyone's own way and preference...

some people take an individual clove and moosh it underneath
a flat knife to peel it real fast....and get the paper/peel off...fast
that is the lazy way.... imho

i prefer to twist the clove since as they are kind of like rubber...
one direction and then the other until the paper or peel finally snaps

you can make garlic bread with heated french bread in a toaster oven...after you coarsely chop the garlic and lightly cook it in a frying pan with butter until it just starts to get crispy brown on the edges. you can top that off with cheese and re-melt it in the oven.

the rule is: the finer you chop it the stronger the garlic flavor.

another thing i do, is to add garlic as whole peeled UNCHOPPED cloves to any kind of soup, chili, or stew and they cook soft like a potatoe ... and the flavor is rather mild....(not overpowering)
then, ............from it not being chopped

the deoderized kyorlic garlic pearls can be taken if your not wanting to cook with it...

sometimes i cook it outside on the gas grill just to keep the house
from getting to garlic-ed out...

BigBo 02-14-2009 07:25 PM

I went the brandy route during round #1 and yes, it helped. Or at least made it more bearable, or I was really drunk at the time..... :cheers2::scream:
I was actually feeling better for a while. It hit my wife worse than me. Then here sister came to stay with us for a week. Well, she had it really bad and didn't say anything until she showed up.
Round #2 has knocked me on my ass. Literally! It's bad stuff.
Sorry Raven, but I'll say that spicey food theory is BS. My wife is from Southeast Asia and everything we eat is spicey. Didn't help us one bit.
The jury is still out on Garlic. She cooks a lot with that as well. I think there are many benefits to garlic. I'm just not sure fighting colds and flu are one of them.

Raven 02-14-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBo (Post 664498)
Sorry Raven, but I'll say that spicey food theory is BS. My wife is from Southeast Asia and everything we eat is spicey. Didn't help us one bit.
The jury is still out on Garlic. She cooks a lot with that as well. I think there are many benefits to garlic. I'm just not sure fighting colds and flu are one of them.

no it is not !!!

Garlic, for example, contains more than 50 antioxidants, more than a dozen immunostimulant phytochemicals and dozens of antiseptic (including antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral) compounds to reduce the likelihood of a germ getting the upper hand.

the government is also quick to say that those who have a depressed immune system are more at risk for these "germs." So why doesn't our pharmacophilic government tell us to boost out immune system, especially with garlic, instead of pushing a silver bullet antibiotic to which resistance may have already developed? The garlic industry doesn't send in many campaign contributions, nor does it support a big lobby. Yet immune-boosting garlic has been shown not only to be antibiotic in itself, but to be synergistic with the many of the more expensive pharmaceutical silver bullet antibiotics.

This makes garlic, in my view, the single most important medicinal spice

I've proved it works personally more times than i can count.

everyone's body chemistry varies however so there's a certain combination that will work for most people that occasionally
doesn't work for some individuals.

BigFish 02-14-2009 08:21 PM

Garlic works Bob! I can smell me getting better in my poopies!:rotflmao:

BigBo 02-14-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 664511)

Wind must be from the east because I can smell you from here. :yak4::hidin::tooth:

BigBo 02-14-2009 10:35 PM

Relax Rav. I meant my jury is still out.
I'm still calling BS on the spicey food theory though. Sorry. :huh:

Backbeach Jake 02-14-2009 11:32 PM

First Jenn, then me. I sure hope it's over soon..

Swimmer 02-15-2009 09:45 AM

Wifey is on week # 4 with her version. Three doctor trips and one ER visit she seems to be shaking it. The cold that is.

Swimmer 02-15-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 664511)

Too much infomation Larry.:bshake:

Raven 02-15-2009 09:52 AM

it's quite unbelievable

but recently some headway was made and
the cure for the common cold
may be on the horizon

Sgt_Nutz 02-15-2009 10:08 AM

Great! Now I have it. day #2. Started with zycam too. I am going to the gym and sitting in the sauna. Maybe I can bake it out! :af:

Slipknot 02-15-2009 10:34 AM

yes, wife gave it to me

Nasty cold

justplugit 02-15-2009 11:58 AM

Rav, you're prolly way too young to remember, but my Mom used to put mustard plaster on our chests to loosen up the congestion. :hihi:

Clammer will remember --
the Humphreys 99 pills and a teaspoon of sugar covered with kerosene for the croop. :shocked:

Raven 02-15-2009 08:20 PM

yes Dave

I am way way way way way way way
to young to remember that :bl:

justplugit 02-15-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 664836)
I am way way way way way way way
to young to remember that :bl:

Ya Rav, i fiigged. :hihi:

The old meds would either cure ya or kill ya. :hihi:

That's why the Doctors Oath includes-"Never do harm to anyone". :D