Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New Guy Questions..... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=80755)

N.ShoreFisher 01-14-2013 05:43 PM

New Guy Questions.....

Ok, so I've been reading every thread and every post trying to see exactly what is involved with building my own plugs, which I really want to try. So, I think I've decided that one of those premade kits, like Salty Buggers is kind of the way to go. But my question is this; as far as finishing the look, what are the steps exactly? Is it sand, seal, paint, epoxy? Or are there various steps in between those? And is it possible to even get a good looking plug without the initial investment in all the airbrushing equipment? Kind of lost here. Any info would be great, and remember that I'm beyond new at this, so acronyms and plug builder lingo and equipment tend to get lost on me. Thanks again, you guys are always great with the help!!

Hookedagain 01-14-2013 06:02 PM

Sand, Seal, Prime, Paint, Epoxy, all with ample drying time for each. As far as paint goes.....almost all of us started with rattle cans. Some never switch to an airbrush, and their plugs are fantastic. Go to plugfest in March and you will be blown away. Bring your camera and take a lot of pics and ask a lot of questions.

Hookedagain 01-14-2013 06:04 PM

Oh I almost forgot.... after sanding add weight,fill holes, sand again and then seal.

nightfighter 01-14-2013 06:19 PM

Kits are a great starting point. After setting weights, if any, in with a wood filler, seal the plug. You could brush or dip in a spar varnish. Your choice if you want to cut it 50/50 with mineral spirits. (not necessary IMO for doing your first kit plug) Hang to dry a couple days. Spray or dip in a primer. Hang to a day or more. Break out the rattle cans and experiment with colors, overlays, etc. Let dry. I like to rig and put in eyes at this point. Then it is fun with two part epoxy time.... Acid brush, gloves, heat, and a way to hold the plug and flip it every ten minutes over the next hour anyway. Devcon 30 minute epoxy is good enough and economical for this.

If you like the whole process, start breaking out your wallet. I am a carpenter with plenty of woodworking tools, and I still ended up spending a grand adding to my plug making tools. Lathe and duplicator bought used and on the cheap. And the drills. And the weights, wire, swivels, duplicator, carbide cutters, lathe tools, epoxy, brushes, rattle cans, primer, spar varnish, mineral spirits, split rings, hooks. Numerous hours hunting down parts to build spinners, etc. And it is totally enjoyable! Start slow and see if it is for you, and your budget. Took me four years to finish something I could build start to finish in the same season. And six years before I would show any of my plugs or be willing to trade them....

You have my invite in the PM I sent last week, so set up a time and come over to see what I have set up. It aint perfect, nor mass production, but it is a great winter hobby for me.

N.ShoreFisher 01-14-2013 06:19 PM

thanks hooked.....umm, what's a rattle can?

nightfighter 01-14-2013 06:24 PM

spray paint

N.ShoreFisher 01-14-2013 06:38 PM

ahhh.....now I feel stupid

stripermaineiac 01-14-2013 07:27 PM

Don't. We all go through it every time we hear a new idea. Type in your topic an hit search. Some of the info these guys have posted is best read a couple times.There are some really talented guys on here that will help you get started.

GattaFish 01-14-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N.ShoreFisher (Post 979765)
ahhh.....now I feel stupid

Sorry.... That spots already taken,,,, How about just having fun,,,,

Also ,,,,, never look at a plug that doesnt come out very good as a failure,,, look at the mistakes and learn from them,,,,

N.ShoreFisher 01-14-2013 08:44 PM

will do!

GooGoo Man 01-14-2013 09:15 PM

I offered to give him lessons in plugbuilding, I hope he knows what he is in for!

stripermaineiac 01-14-2013 09:23 PM

I've caught loads of fish on my goof ups. It's worse than bein addicted to snack cakes in some ways LOL

GattaFish 01-14-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GooGoo Man (Post 979801)
I offered to give him lessons in plugbuilding, I hope he knows what he is in for!

I will be up for that. Lol. I promise to hang a monster on one of your plugs this year.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

johnny ducketts 01-14-2013 10:39 PM

Caught my pb on a plug I made myself. One of the best feelings, have fun and can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hookset 01-15-2013 07:03 AM

All I can say is you came to the right place to learn. What I have learned from these guys over the past 3 years is amazing and I could write a book (but I won't!) good luck and I will look forward to seeing your 1st creation. By the way, start setting aside $ now, this hobby is totally addicting!

GooGoo Man 01-16-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GattaFish (Post 979815)
I will be up for that. Lol. I promise to hang a monster on one of your plugs this year.

Tom,

you are always welcome ! :uhuh:

Jimbo 01-16-2013 12:16 PM

If you go to Salty's site , he has links to the steps you can follow in finishing a plug.

WoodyCT 01-16-2013 07:10 PM

Salty kits are a great way to get started.

Great plugs that catch fish.

Once you get the hang of all the finishing steps you can look into getting a lathe and doing the whole kit and caboodle yourself.

Rockfish9 01-18-2013 09:25 AM

you dont live far from me.. your welcome to spend some time in my shop with me...I think I can help you with a thing or two....

nightfighter 01-18-2013 02:16 PM

Dan came over last night for the nickel tour. I was able to show him all the steps, tools, materials and was hopefully able to explain it well enough to him. Had him take a turn on the Vega as well. He seemed to be soaking it all in and I sent him off with a Saltys kit to get him going. Told him that Plugfest was a must do event. He had already asked for that day off from work!

Hookset 01-18-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 980544)
Dan came over last night for the nickel tour. I was able to show him all the steps, tools, materials and was hopefully able to explain it well enough to him. Had him take a turn on the Vega as well. He seemed to be soaking it all in and I sent him off with a Saltys kit to get him going. Told him that Plugfest was a must do event. He had already asked for that day off from work!

that is like going to a crack dealer for a little sample.... get the wallet out

N.ShoreFisher 01-18-2013 05:53 PM

haha, yeah, it was great! I already got the plug primed, and put the base coat of black today. Gonna try the old mesh bag trick for the scales. I figure if you learn from your mistakes, I might as well be over ambitious and really learn alot! lol. Thanks again for the tour Ross, I'm probably gonna be over in the next few days or so to do the epoxy setup on the turner you have if you don't mind. And goo goo, I haven't forgot about your invite, I think maybe next thurs night will be good. I will let you know for sure tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help guys.