Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Grinch... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=80174)

BMEUPSCOTTY 11-27-2012 08:27 PM

The Grinch...

... is on tonight, and I'll be the first to admit that I still enjoy the Christmas specials from my youth. (namely The Grinch, Merry Christmas Charlie Brown, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, the original Frosty, and Rudolph). Who here (over the age of 40) will admit the same? I don't get the same feeling at all from anything made after that era, which could be a generational thing. (I could have missed a classic or two from my list, and I will admit that I might give the new Spongebob special a try if it's on again.)

I still enjoy Christmas, and agree that it is MOSTLY for the kids, but I try VERY hard to not let the hustle and bustle turn ME into a Grinch. You will never catch me saying that I hate Christmas... It's not Christmas' fault that some retailers (as well as the types that don't want Christmas trees in public places, etc.) take away from the Christmas spirit that I enjoyed as a kid. I was lucky to have been adopted by a terrific family that, to this day, enjoys Christmas as much as the people in, say, an Old Navy commercial. Lots of people (understandably) prefer Thanksgiving to Christmas these days, with the focus on spending time with family and friends. Christmas for me was like Thanksgiving with presents, and I try to keep that spirit alive. I believe it's OK to let Christmas bring out the kid in all of us! :uhuh:

Mike P 11-27-2012 09:10 PM

My all time favorite Christmas special is Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. Thankfully, it's preserved on You Tube.

The Dad Fisherman 11-28-2012 06:07 AM

Grinch has always been my favorite....

Jimbo 11-28-2012 10:35 AM

This is interesting because I watched The Grinch with my 17 year old daughter last night and commented that I thought the 30 minute animated version was 10 times better than the movie. Surprisingly, she didn't argue.

The Dad Fisherman 11-28-2012 10:50 AM

The Abomination by Jim Carey does not count.....

BMEUPSCOTTY 11-28-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 971695)
My all time favorite Christmas special is Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. Thankfully, it's preserved on You Tube.

Forgot about that one... How long has it been since it's been on TV? You would think with all the channels today and all the crappy specials that it would still be shown somewhere...��
Just read it is the 50th anniversary of that one, and that it was the first animated Christmas special. To celebrate, DreamWorks is releasing it on blue ray...Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Mike P 11-28-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMEUPSCOTTY (Post 971857)
Forgot about that one... How long has it been since it's been on TV? You would think with all the channels today and all the crappy specials that it would still be shown somewhere...��
Just read it is the 50th anniversary of that one, and that it was the first animated Christmas special. To celebrate, DreamWorks is releasing it on blue ray...Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Used to be shown on the Cartoon Network, when my kids were small.

"Oh, Magoo, you've done it again. You've brought down the house."

JohnR 11-28-2012 07:19 PM

Bumbles Bounce!

Slipknot 11-28-2012 08:21 PM

The Grinch is a classic
I saw it last night, just can't pass by it and not watch
I love that cartoon

Charlie Browns Christmas is on now

HighTide 11-29-2012 04:06 PM

I still run out of the room when the Bumble shows up.

bloocrab 11-29-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMEUPSCOTTY (Post 971689)
... is on tonight, and I'll be the first to admit that I still enjoy the Christmas specials from my youth. (namely The Grinch, Merry Christmas Charlie Brown, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, the original Frosty, and Rudolph). Who here (over the age of 40) will admit the same? I don't get the same feeling at all from anything made after that era, which could be a generational thing. (I could have missed a classic or two from my list, and I will admit that I might give the new Spongebob special a try if it's on again.)

I still enjoy Christmas, and agree that it is MOSTLY for the kids, but I try VERY hard to not let the hustle and bustle turn ME into a Grinch. You will never catch me saying that I hate Christmas... It's not Christmas' fault that some retailers (as well as the types that don't want Christmas trees in public places, etc.) take away from the Christmas spirit that I enjoyed as a kid. I was lucky to have been adopted by a terrific family that, to this day, enjoys Christmas as much as the people in, say, an Old Navy commercial. Lots of people (understandably) prefer Thanksgiving to Christmas these days, with the focus on spending time with family and friends. Christmas for me was like Thanksgiving with presents, and I try to keep that spirit alive. I believe it's OK to let Christmas bring out the kid in all of us! :uhuh:

:claps::claps::claps: Totally agree...I Love Christmas too...I even have that Christmas music station programmed on the radio this time of year. Have the Grinch DVR'd and watched it quite a few times already (4yr old in my house). Old school stuff totally dominates, give me Tom&Jerry any day!!!

MarshCappa 12-07-2012 05:52 PM

Took my son to the musical Grinch at the Wang Theater last Sun afternoon and we both were mesmerized! Love this time of year because I have a 7 year old and it brings out so many great memories.