Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Good day on the bait (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=95069)

Guppy 05-01-2019 05:03 PM

Good day on the bait

2 Attachment(s)
Bring on the bottom fish...
Attachment 66189
Attachment 66190

Cool Beans 05-01-2019 06:47 PM

Awesome!!! I am heading out hopefully tomorrow night and Friday night, and maybe Saturday. Water temps are perfect and tides are good.

Do you squid during the day? If so that is a HUGE catch!

I have never had much luck during the day, but on a good night A 5 gallon bucket full like that is a pretty damn good night.

Rockfish9 05-02-2019 08:16 AM

Nice...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy 05-02-2019 06:26 PM

Beans,,, alone, all morning
It went dead under my boat and the guys next to me were tonging them,,, so I went home PISSED,,, LOL

Cool Beans 05-03-2019 06:53 AM

My new pedestal seats arrived yesterday, so instead of taking the boat out last night, I replaced the 2 seats up front, and to clear the back deck for running my lobster pots, I removed the bench seat. Now I have plenty of room to stack 5 or 6 pots and still have room to move around between them.

I plan to go out tonight for squid. I am setting up a GoPro on a stick that I will mount aft about 2 feet underwater and hope to get some neat video.

Cool Beans 05-03-2019 08:41 PM

Rained out tonight..... hoping tomorrow night it good enough...

SolOmoN 05-07-2019 08:53 PM

Squid question, are they structure seeking like other species? The reason I ask is there is a thread on tht that talks about Falmouth and the fleet being 4mi or so from the entrance. I can find with a pretty good guess where that might be and it's a pretty good piece of structure. My idea is to start in similar waters, structure with adjacent depth and go from there. I also understand the water temp has to be right and current moving. Thanks for your input
sol...

Guppy 05-08-2019 06:01 AM

Last couple years the fleet just outside structure year before that 20’ nondescript...

I’d say slack tide doesn’t help I noticed...

Anchor up, I noticed they come in waves...

Don’t anchor up next to the Asian guys, you’ll go nuts... 😜🤪

Wayne is down that way today,,, Good luck

SolOmoN 05-08-2019 07:24 AM

Thanks for the reply I was using that particular scenario and was going to try and apply it to Brenton Reef and areas in Narr bay...
Thanks so much
sol...

Guppy 05-08-2019 04:15 PM

I think the way it works is, the water warms up, squid lay their eggs, move inside, then the scup eat all their eggs... and the scup are here says Wayne

wdmso 05-10-2019 11:55 AM

seems the guys throwing a bank sinker with a smaller squid jig 18 20 inch above the sinker seems to be dialed in took me around an hour to get a rig they liked

once that happened like ray said they came in waves 2 or 3 then nothing was like that whole day to windy to drift some were huge 18 inches

one bunch of boats were on squid the other scup they were not mixed

not worth the trip unless you live nearby (for gas in truck and boat ) i could have bought 2x the amount oF squid) still a good day on the water

Jim in CT 05-10-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1167085)
seems the guys throwing a bank sinker with a smaller squid jig 18 20 inch above the sinker seems to be dialed in took me around an hour to get a rig they liked

once that happened like ray said they came in waves 2 or 3 then nothing was like that whole day to windy to drift some were huge 18 inches

not worth the trip unless you live nearby (for gas in truck and boat ) i could have bought 2x the amount oF squid) still a good day on the water

Your boat get all ink-y? Is that easy to clean?

Nebe 05-10-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1167085)

That’s part of the secret. The second part is using 6 pound test fluorocarbon to your jigs. Squid have amazing eyesight.

wdmso 05-10-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1167097)
Your boat get all ink-y? Is that easy to clean?

It's easy to clean if you rinse it right away but some of the bigger squid can shoot ink amazingly far .

If you don't watch out you'll be wearing it

wdmso 05-10-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1167098)
That’s part of the secret. The second part is using 6 pound test fluorocarbon to your jigs. Squid have amazing eyesight.

Never thought of going that lite

I'll keep that in mind

Clammer 05-10-2019 07:05 PM

why go thru all the b/S when ya can buy it fresh off the boat for cheap money :spin:

I ,ve keep meeting more & more guys that don.t even bring squid with them any more .

I would guess it would be better if you were after s SCUP .

BUt a few years ago [before] the price blew to hell ……………………………… Dennis & I had 3 totes & some fluke/ Fishing Quahaugs that we dug about 300 ft from where we fished >I guess if I did it now for kicks ,it would be a F FGHJ"KJHG waste with the small sea bass & sea robins ………….

Cool Beans 05-12-2019 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went out Saturday, seemed like a perfect night, but only thing around was tons of bait fish, but saw or caught no squid.

I didn't stay out late (probably left right before the squid arrived) but did get some cool pics and underwater video (posted to youtube).

Underwater Video #1

Underwater Video #2