Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Gliders (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=91676)

Swimmer 01-05-2017 09:09 AM

Gliders

Any info on these increasingly popular lures?

Linesider82 01-05-2017 12:40 PM

Hi Frank, please make some and send to me, that count? :)

Do you have a specific question as to glide baits? I bet Muskyslayer has some input if he's still around.

I've been following this guy (Solarbaits on youtube) for a while now, he does mostly mold based baits. Hand carved from wood, then molded for hard or soft pours. I'd have to search his videos, there are some he has posted in regards to weight placement if used. I believe he did some in only wood, but I could be mistaken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qezi5k5sQE

As far as what I have used and is in my bag nearly every outing are the Loki Sea Sliders. The CT surfcasters has our surf show coming up and I'm interested in seeing Fatty Lures which are to my knowledge all glide baits, I may pick one up to see how it swims.

numbskull 01-05-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swimmer (Post 1114769)
Any info on these increasingly popular lures?

I fooled with them a little.
Almost any hydrodynamic body shape can be built into a glider.
The crucial step is weighting. They need to sink slowly and level. The level part is very important.
Where you weight them supposedly determines their action.
I can't remember, unfortunately, but there was an excellent article on Tackle Underground some years back about this. I think if the weight is concentrated in the middle they tend to veer wildly and if the weight is distributed to both ends they tend to veer more subtly (but it might be the opposite).

Swimmer 01-05-2017 07:30 PM

Thank you gentlemen

Swimmer 01-05-2017 07:32 PM

Plug

Thank you gentlemen

JLH 01-06-2017 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I build a few very basic ones last winter and was surprised by how easy it was to get them to glide. I cut a piece of maple into a basic fish shape and then played around with the weighting to get it to sink level. I ended up with two weights ahead of the belly hook and two behind. It swims it a pretty tight gliding pattern and fished really well in current. I fished it with just a belly hook which added a little more glide. When I tested it with a tail hook it reduced the gliding action quite a bit. The one that swam best was the one where I just rounded over the edges on a router. On a few I tried to shape around the nose and the tail and those didn’t swim consistently, probably because my shaping wasn’t completely symmetrical.

pbadad 01-06-2017 07:05 PM

J that's nice. You have a router table to spin those blanks around the bit?

JLH 01-06-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1114872)
J that's nice. You have a router table to spin those blanks around the bit?

Yeah the router table worked very well for rounding the edges. I want to make up some templates for it to do the final shaping after doing the rough cuts on the bandsaw.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

pbadad 01-07-2017 07:54 AM

Maybe we should collaborate and work on a program to cut them out on the cnc. After the cutting out, just rounding the edges and sanding would necessary. This another project which has been in my head.

chefchris401 01-07-2017 09:07 AM

There's a local guy I went to high school with from Bristol RI and that's all he makes.

He's been making them for the last 6-8 years and just started selling em last season.

I finally got one this past late fall, think 1st of November

It's the first plug in a long time I tossed out and was visibly impressed right away, even said some express words out loud.

His are maple and cast like a tail weighted needle and need no feedback from the user, very impressive action

247/fatty lures has been making his for the last 4-5 seasons, I had some wood protos that weren't painted with lots of load poured in em. Again super impressive

It's this past seasons "new thing"

Just like 2017 will be the year of the bigger sp minnow

Loki still makes some of the best ones around
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device