Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   advice on kayak (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=31966)

Slingah 06-03-2006 11:14 AM

advice on kayak

hello fellow anglers
I am throwing around the idea of buying a yak...I know nothing...
I am probally looking for used depending on new cost..
looking for any advice
thanks in advance

hulkyj61 06-03-2006 12:31 PM

A few boats you may want to look at are:
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Anglers Edition
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler
Liquidlogic Mantaray 12 or 14

Now you can save some money by buying the striped version ( non anglers) of these kayaks and putting on only the stuff you want, or you can buy the anglers package which usually comes with a couple of flush mounts, a scotty or two, and a few other little things. Buying one used is not a bad idea. If you can find one that is already tricked out for a good price you are all set. Watch the classifieds on this site, yaks pop up every once in a while.

One more piece of advice, try the kayak before you buy it. If you are buying it used off a private seller ask if you can take it for a test drive. Many retailers have demo days too so you can try out the kayak you are looking for.

I hope this was helpful, if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

nightfighter 06-03-2006 12:38 PM

I did my internet search all off season and decided on a Sit on top or SOT vs a sit in or SIK. Decided on the Tarpon 140 by Wilderness Systems. Then picked up a used Heritage Fisherman 14 from a member here that was already rigged with a FF/GPS unit! I will be glad to give you more feedback when I have more time on the water.

Check out sponsor KingCove, NewEnglandKayakFishing.com, Kayak Fishing Stuff, and Ultimate Kayak Fishing for more info, reviews of yaks and equipment, not to mention their classifieds.

reelecstasy 06-05-2006 07:25 AM

Slingah,
You can take mine out anytime for spin, just lemme know and I can meet ya.
Tarpon 140...
~Chris

BigFish 06-05-2006 09:17 AM

Funny...I mentioned yaks to Slingah about 2 weeks ago and he said nah!:confused:

reelecstasy 06-05-2006 11:42 AM

come to the dark side

Slingah 06-05-2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reelecstasy
Slingah,
You can take mine out anytime for spin, just lemme know and I can meet ya.
Tarpon 140...
~Chris

thanks chris

Slingah 06-05-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish
Funny...I mentioned yaks to Slingah about 2 weeks ago and he said nah!:confused:

I was trying to throw you off:hihi: :fishslap:

toddonbi 06-06-2006 09:33 AM

Height, weight, and inseam used as a starting point would be an important way to narrow down the list of Yaks. Check out the NEKF or KFS websites to gather information. If it's made someone on those sites will own one.
Try out a bunch and take notice of initial and secondary "balance" to see how comfortable you are. I have a prowler 15 angler, at 6' 180lbs. it is more than stable enough for me and the leg room ispretty good.

Slingah 06-06-2006 08:02 PM

thanks for all the info guys

Wee Hooker 06-12-2006 11:31 AM

Best advice that I've had and given is to try before you buy!

In fact, it's best to paddle several and then buy! What looks good in an add or for someone else amy not work at all for you.

NilsC 06-14-2006 10:14 PM

Slingah,

are you doing the 4 leg at King Cove? if you do and come early you can take out a kayak.

That goes for anyone fishing the 4 leg tournament - come early and try a fishing kayak. We have them rigged to go :D