Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Sports Talk - Title Town (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Schilling Sox' New Closer (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=24590)

Bill L 07-06-2005 07:34 PM

Schilling Sox' New Closer

Looks like Schilling is going to step into the closer role, with his ankle and rehab I think it may not be a bad idea --- come in and smoke a few batters and not have to worry about the long run

afterhours 07-06-2005 07:38 PM

hope he can throw 3 or 4 times a week without any ill effects.

Squid kids Dad 07-06-2005 08:59 PM

AH ..Thats the problem...We shall see....I think its a ploy for trade bait,,See we dont really need a closer... :gf:

Bigcat 07-06-2005 09:15 PM

I think it is a good move,it don't mess up the rotation :btu:

Squid kids Dad 07-06-2005 10:15 PM

It should be interesting to see how it works out

afterhours 07-07-2005 06:36 AM

wonder if this is how the eck made the transition?

Bill L 07-07-2005 06:57 AM

Heck, if we can just get all the starters to go 8-2/3 innings we wont need no stinking closer (well at least one batter anyways!)

afterhours 07-07-2005 07:41 AM

:jump: :hihi:

rwilhelm 07-07-2005 10:09 AM

I don't understand this move at all. Schilling is your best starter, he is obviously not ready to pitch yet so let him be the closer? I say let him make a couple more starts in Pawtucet and see how he does. In the meantime let Timlin be the closer until they figure out what they are going to do.

Homerun04 07-07-2005 10:12 AM

I think they are a little concerned that Schilling did not bounce back as quickly as they had hoped, and when he did come back he got hit pretty hard at AAA.

Not sure whatthe answer is, but I think this move kind of opens up the door of speculation as to their worries about his abilities right now. I think he;ll be fine, but the bullpen thing allows them to see his progress first hand every day, so in that regards it is a good move for them.

spence 07-07-2005 10:24 AM

Who else can come in an throw 95 with reckless abandon?

-spence

Cod Hunter 07-07-2005 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence
Who else can come in an throw 95 with reckless abandon?

-spence

Not Schilling...that's for sure. He avarages high 80's in his 2 PawSox starts touching the low 90-'s a few times. He'll have a hard time getting loose quickly enough I think. He throws 60 or so getting ready for a start. He'll need to cut that # WAYYYYYYY back to be effective out of the pen.

Homerun04 07-07-2005 10:42 AM

Velocity is important to some degree, but at this level if his splitter isn't dropping - or moving any - he will get hammered. Of course, take away a few extra MPH on a non-moving splitter and it is even that much easier to hit.

The Dad Fisherman 07-07-2005 10:54 AM

Where are you guys getting closer :huh: ??? He's going to the bullpen. He could be be a setup guy, he could be middle relief....he could even be the Garbage time guy to start with. They just want to get him a few innings at the major league level to see how he's progressing. Then if his velocity comes back and his stamina improves he'll be in the starting rotation.

But as always there is the possibility I could be wrong.. :uhoh:

Homerun04 07-07-2005 11:21 AM

Francona opened up the "closer" talk yesterday on WEEI when he announced Schilling was going to the bullpen, and said, "Foulke, Timlin, Schilling - good luck" (referring to other teams having to face these three guys). It was interesting the order he put these guys in -- some people took it to mean the order in which they will be used during a game.

It also happens to coincide with Foulke going on the 15-day DL due to his ineptitude.

Backbeach Jake 07-07-2005 04:32 PM

Schill dug pretty deep last season , I think maybe too deep for a man his age. He'll always be in my Hall of Fame. Healing these kind of injuries isn't easy, and a couple of years just makes it tougher. These athletes at this level work on a razor's edge.

ThrowingTimber 07-07-2005 06:38 PM

Kid that closed last night for the pawsox was hitting 97 - 98 mph consistently. Kids gonna wreck shop in the bigs if they call him, he had a bit of trouble controling the inside pitches though, and smoked one of the ottawa players dead in the melon...