Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   The Real Unemployment Rate (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=65977)

Fly Rod 09-06-2010 10:52 AM

The Real Unemployment Rate

The Bureau of Labor Statistics publishes various measures of unemployment. One is called U6 which includes unemployed workers, part time workers who want to work full time, and discouraged workers who gave up looking. This is referred to as the Real Unemployment Rate.
US = 16.8%
MA = 15.3%

Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States

striperman36 09-06-2010 10:59 AM

think its higher, but very true. and it's no going to get better

as salties post shows are division in jobs available and the higher sector jobs at continually eroding as more skilled resources around the world continue to compete for the remaining mobile jobs available

striperman36 09-06-2010 11:06 AM

think its higher, but very true. and it's no going to get better

as salties post shows are division in jobs available and the higher sector jobs at continually eroding as more skilled resources around the world continue to compete for the remaining mobile jobs available

JohnnyD 09-06-2010 11:06 AM

Does it also include the pieces of garbage that choose not to work and just live off the system? If so, that trash is good for at least 4-5% of that number.

striperman36 09-06-2010 11:07 AM

Or under the table employment>

Nebe 09-06-2010 12:24 PM

Wow
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

striperman36 09-06-2010 12:25 PM

btw, the RI Rate is 19.+

Nebe 09-06-2010 12:31 PM

I don't doubt it.

Fly Rod 09-06-2010 12:31 PM

Was watching a program last week and they had an owner of a machine shop stating that he could hire thirty people at entry level pay, eleven bucks and then a dollar pay raise after ninety days.

He stated that his biggest competitor was unemployment.

striperman36 09-06-2010 12:58 PM

Robert Kuttner: Not Just Jobs -- Good Jobs

striperman36 09-06-2010 01:17 PM

Robert Reich: The Real Lesson of Labor Day

1970 top 1 pct of wage earners captured 9 pct of wages today it's 23.5 pct

Raven 09-06-2010 07:28 PM

its a JOKE out there.....why even try....

i collect ........... absolutely Nothing

striperman36 09-06-2010 09:26 PM

I cannot find the source again. I also read that since 2002 on 3 pct of working americans have been able to increase their base wages,

Nebe 09-06-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 792806)
I cannot find the source again. I also read that since 2002 on 3 pct of working americans have been able to increase their base wages,

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer...

Raven 09-07-2010 03:49 AM

even if 100% of the workforce had received base salary increases since 2002
it wouldn't have kept up with inflation anyways .....

products are shrinking beyond recognition with deceptive packaging
better than some magic shows :doh:

RIJIMMY 09-07-2010 08:32 AM

I lost 50% of my team in 2008. Less than a year later, all of them had new jobs, some multiple new jobs. They took the first job offered and then took a better one when it came along. 75% were in RI. Most are making the same or more $. Dont let statistics hold you down.
I guess everyone didnt get the memo the last 20 yrs that more and more people are college educated, more and more global competition, more and more deman for highly skilled workers. The rich arent getting rich - the days of old money are mostly over. The entrepeneurs, the risk takers and the people always looking for something better are getting rich. Times have drastically changed, we need to as well.

fishpoopoo 09-09-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 792888)
Times have drastically changed, we need to as well.

Yes, times have drastically changed.

True, the labor force has gotten a lot more competitive. As a result, folks without college degrees have probably felt it the most.

I think what really has hurt this country is the dwindling number of higher-paying manufacturing jobs, and the proliferation of unskilled "service" jobs.

Don't get me wrong - all work is noble. But folks can make more money making gizmos for export than ringing up the register at the local Mao-Mart.

There are several factors that have led to a decline in the number of manufacturing jobs in this country.

They include

1) aggressive labor unions that have driven labor costs higher and have pushed jobs to overseas markets;

2) onerous federal and state government regulations that did the same;

3) technological advancements that replace manual labor;

4) lower cost of labor in developing markets; and

5) the seeming lack of will amongst Americans to build a better widget that people want to buy.

#1 and #2 have political solutions.

#3 is unavoidable.

#4 can be partially addressed by #1 and #2.

#5 ... ?

Some folks will argue that as an economy moves to more services-based industry, that it is a sign of progress. I think that is total bull$hit. A strong economy is one that has a good chunk of manufactured goods for export.

We're almost the exact opposite. We collectively buy cheap imported rubber dog poo made in China. And the worst part is we do it on our credit cards, with money printed by the federal reserve.

What a racket.

Typhoon 09-09-2010 10:45 AM

Bureau of Lying Statistics

Nine States Did Not File Initial Claims Data Due To Labor Day, Hundreds Of Thousands Of Estimates In Data "Beat" | zero hedge

fishpoopoo 09-09-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoon (Post 793595)
Bureau of Lying Statistics

Never mind the guys at Zero Hedge, check this out as to why you're not too far from the truth regarding the Bureau of Lying Statistics:

Employment and Unemployment

justplugit 09-09-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishpoopoo (Post 793517)

Some folks will argue that as an economy moves to more services-based industry, that it is a sign of progress. I think that is total bull$hit. A strong economy is one that has a good chunk of manufactured goods for export.

Bingo, a service- based economy is doomed to failure. As people lose jobs
and money gets tight, the first thing they cut back on is services.

Might I add in addition to a good manufacturing industry economy, one based on agriculture is just as important.
People need to eat.