Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   CAr navigation systems (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=45162)

teezer 11-25-2007 09:46 AM

CAr navigation systems

What do you know about car nav systems? Which are the best? What functions are the must have? I have been looking at the Garmin Nuvi. Anyone have one?
Thanks for your help

HESH2 11-25-2007 10:11 AM

garmin 330.price not bad and works great.just got to uderstand how it works,would plug in fishing site and it would get me there,pretty cool item to have.

gone fishin 11-25-2007 11:19 AM

I have a Magellan Maestro 3100, It is not the most expensive but it gets me there. The more you pay the more features to figure out.
It is also the most stolen item on the road today. Many broken windows because it was not removed from view. Even the mount will draw a breakin. My glass company loves them.:bl:

Slipknot 11-25-2007 12:26 PM

just got a TomTom for my wife as a gift, it has the feature that says the name of the street coming up, important feature. My wife has no sense of direction so it should come in handy. It was 399. I hope she doesn't leave it out in the open.

fishaholic18 11-25-2007 05:25 PM

I got the GARMIN StreetPilot c340 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858108238
and love it. I use it all the time. Just make sure you get one that has text-to-speech feature. What I like about it is that it is totally portable, car to car in a snap/

justplugit 11-25-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gone fishin (Post 542489)
The more you pay the more features to figure out.

LOL Don, so true, i'm still tryin to figga out how to tape a movie on my VCR. :hihi:

Have to get together with Clammah. :)

FishermanTim 11-26-2007 11:18 AM

Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but what about being able to read a map?
What will happen if the battery gives out while you're driving somewhere? Do you stop and call for help, or do you pull out your trusty road map and figure it out for yourself?
My general approach to these devices is that if you need this much help to "navigate" maybe you shouldn't be driving.
This is based of the fact that the "best" models give you vocal "turn by turn" directions.
I'm sorry, but if you're that lazy that you need that much help driving, you'd be better off staying at home.

Sorry for the rant, but it seems we're just getting too lazy for our own good.
For the record, I've used map books to find many , if not all, of my freshwater fishing spots. (Some are guarded secrets)

fishbones 11-26-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishermanTim (Post 542865)
Not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but what about being able to read a map?
What will happen if the battery gives out while you're driving somewhere? Do you stop and call for help, or do you pull out your trusty road map and figure it out for yourself?
My general approach to these devices is that if you need this much help to "navigate" maybe you shouldn't be driving.
This is based of the fact that the "best" models give you vocal "turn by turn" directions.
I'm sorry, but if you're that lazy that you need that much help driving, you'd be better off staying at home.

For the record, I've used map books to find many , if not all, of my freshwater fishing spots. (Some are guarded secrets)

I bought a nice GPS for my wife because she travels with my son in the car with her and I want them to be safe. I feel better about her punching in an address and listening to the turn by turn directions, than calling me on the phone and trying to tell me where she is in relation to stores or salons I've never heard of. Also, I'm not too crazy about her trying to look at directions printed out on the computer while she's driving, and she wouldn't be very good at reading a map. I have GPS in my car and never use it. I also have atlases in the trunk, but being a man, I never need help with directions.:hee:

fishaholic18 11-26-2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishermanTim (Post 542865)

Get up with the times, the days of opening the 100 fold map and laying it on the steering wheel while doing 65mph are over.. There are safer methods now. A good old map is a great back-up though. BTW, if your battery dies...you ain't going no where even with a map. Plus, my car nav. will run for hours on it's own back-up battery ..:hs:

HESH2 11-27-2007 09:08 AM

fishaholic18 hits it rt on the head.no need to say any thing more.