Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Newbie (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=78754)

FishFighter 08-11-2012 06:26 PM

Hello all!

I just can't continue buying others plugs when I feel with practice and a little help I might be able to begin turning my own. I apologize for repeating any other thread but am brand new to plug building and have a few questions. I really appreciate any help provided as so far I've just been taking others apart and measuring.

- Does everyone still hand turn or use duplicators?

- Any paint/sealer/epoxy recommendations for a beginner?

- Any best practices on turning the wide mouth of a popper?

Anything provided is much appreciated as I am looking forward to landing a cow on my own plug.

Tight Lines!

numbskull 08-12-2012 06:25 AM

Welcome.

Duplicators make things easier, but hand tools can be more fun.

Search the site and you will find reams of information on yoour other questions.

Charleston 08-12-2012 09:15 AM

Where are you located? Do you have any of the wood working machines yet?
One tip; buying plugs is far less expensive than making them.

Striperknight 08-12-2012 08:12 PM

I always say that kits are a great way to start.

ProfessorM 08-14-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Striperknight (Post 953476)
I always say that kits are a great way to start.

this from a guy that has never been to a meat raffle.:chased:

johnny ducketts 08-14-2012 11:10 AM

Welcome to the site,

Kits are great to start out with, and there is a ton of knowledge on this site, that will cut down the learning curve dramatically. As for answers to your questions, the "search" box is your best friend, there is more knowledge contained in these posts, then could ever be assembled in a book.

Look forward to seeing your first plugs!

Striperknight 08-15-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 953723)
this from a guy that has never been to a meat raffle.:chased:

Yes, its true, I avoid meat raffles.:smash::rotf2:

ProfessorM 08-15-2012 05:16 PM

:)

hope you are having a great summer

Striperknight 08-19-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 954083)
:)

hope you are having a great summer

Thanks. Its been busy.

Eric Roach 08-21-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishFighter (Post 953277)
Hello all!

I just can't continue buying others plugs when I feel with practice and a little help I might be able to begin turning my own. I apologize for repeating any other thread but am brand new to plug building and have a few questions. I really appreciate any help provided as so far I've just been taking others apart and measuring.

- Does everyone still hand turn or use duplicators?

- Any paint/sealer/epoxy recommendations for a beginner?

- Any best practices on turning the wide mouth of a popper?

Anything provided is much appreciated as I am looking forward to landing a cow on my own plug.

Tight Lines!

Hello & welcome. Great people here, lots of information.

As mentioned, the Search feature reveals a lot, but feel free to continue to ask questions.

Here's some feedback on your first few questions:
  • I'm primarily a duplicator user, but I enjoy designing patterns on the computer and trying them out as templates, adjusting them to get what I want so I can re-create them again & again. I'm not building any carpenter skills, but I really do enjoy approaching building this way.
  • I didn't do this myself, but I would recommend what was recommneded to me for sealer/paint/epoxy: 60%/40% mixture of sanding sealer/denatured alcohol for a sealer -- dries very fast and allows you to test your new creations without extensive wait times for sealer drying. For paint, I recommend Rust-Oleum rattle cans, you can get some nice, basic, fish-catching color patterns for your stuff without jumping into airbrush expenses. For epoxy topcoat, I'd recommend Envirotex -- available at craft stores and produces a solid finish to help protect your stuff.
  • For popper mouths I use a Kutzall sphere spun in the drill press -- works good for me, I hjust take my time.
Welcome again and good luck getting started.