Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Striped Bass Fish Cakes (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=81038)

Jersey_Jim 02-07-2013 07:51 PM

Striped Bass Fish Cakes

I had an inspiration to try this and it turned out great. I first cut all the dark meat off the filets and then soaked them in water in a 1 gallon bag for 10 mins and rinsed them again (they were getting a little strong smelling) then I cubed them.
We had cilantro and not parsley so…. Then I added about a cup of sliced carrots and used 2 eggs instead of one because I used more potatoes and more fish (2 big filets) than the recipe called for. We heated up some salsa to serve on top when they were in the plate.
Trust me it was yummy:uhuh:
Cod Fish Cakes Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Jim

Nebe 02-07-2013 08:13 PM

Toby Lapinski has a great fish cake recipe that uses cheese nips of all things. It's my all time favorite striper cake recipe.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigFish 02-07-2013 08:20 PM

My striper cakes are the best I have ever had!!!:uhuh:

Goose 02-07-2013 09:20 PM

My Tog cakes are way betta

Redsoxticket 02-07-2013 09:31 PM

The Portuguese salt cod fish cakes are so effing good.

Nebe 02-07-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsoxticket (Post 983686)
The Portuguese salt cod fish cakes are so effing good.

Ohh. Recipe por favor!!!

spence 02-07-2013 10:24 PM

I just can't get into salt cod.

Redsoxticket 02-07-2013 10:39 PM

Boil potatoes then mash them up like you were making "mashed potatoes"

The cod fish comes salted, soak in cold water and place in the refrigerator for two days while changing the water about 4 times during that period. This will remove most of the salt.

The best ratio of potatoes to cod fish is 50/50 but with the price of cod a 60/40 will do fine.

Boil the cod fish and when done break apart the fish as fine as using a cheese grader

Add the cod fish with the mashed potatoes, add two large eggs, parsley, scallions if desired, mix it up.

Place the mixture into the refrigetator to cool down and firm up the mixture.

Heat up oil like you where making french fries. Scoop up the mixture with a large spoon, shape into a oval, place in oil until golden brown.
Thats it.

InTheHole 02-08-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 983676)
Toby Lapinski has a great fish cake recipe that uses cheese nips of all things. It's my all time favorite striper cake recipe.

I saw that recipe in a post on this site, I have made it numerous times.
Best fish cakes, bar none. People always get a laugh when I tell them 1 of the ingredients is cheese nips.

Nebe 02-08-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsoxticket (Post 983699)
Boil potatoes then mash them up like you were making "mashed potatoes"

The cod fish comes salted, soak in cold water and place in the refrigerator for two days while changing the water about 4 times during that period. This will remove most of the salt.

The best ratio of potatoes to cod fish is 50/50 but with the price of cod a 60/40 will do fine.

Boil the cod fish and when done break apart the fish as fine as using a cheese grader

Add the cod fish with the mashed potatoes, add two large eggs, parsley, scallions if desired, mix it up.

Place the mixture into the refrigetator to cool down and firm up the mixture.

Heat up oil like you where making french fries. Scoop up the mixture with a large spoon, shape into a oval, place in oil until golden brown.
Thats it.

Thanks!!!!

afterhours 02-08-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 983677)
My striper cakes are the best I have ever had!!!:uhuh:

x2.........lets go back in sept and enjoy some :uhuh:

tunaless greg 02-08-2013 10:57 AM

Striper/crab cakes

Give this one a try in about 90 days (hopefully). Take a 30 inch bass, stick a rope thru his mouth, let him come back from the fight(20 min), then bleed him overboard(treat him like a tuna), then into the salt ice mixture. Take home and fillet, cut out any blood meat (you will notice much less). Cube and steam, till it is 80 percent cooked. Go to store, pick up RED STAR CRAB MEAT (not claw meat), yes is is from china, but if you have ever seen the pacific blue crab, they look like our blue claws, except much bigger(if you have the cash, certainly get u.s blueclaws). Take you bass that is now chilled in fridge, drain out any fluid (may have jelled), lightly break up cubes so they are same sized as crab meat and fold in equal amounts crab meat. Let sit in fridge overnight. Take you favorite recipe, and make sure crab meat is 75% of the mass....remember, the true test of a great crab cake is it to not taste like breadcrumbs, and for the crab/fish to hold their shape, not be mashed. done properly, you cant tell the crab from the bass.

tlapinski 02-08-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 983676)

Thanks Eben, here is a link to where I posted it a couple years ago.
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...per-cakes.html

Nebe 02-08-2013 05:59 PM

Thanks to Blackeye, I'm making fresh caught fluke tonight stuffed with stuffing made from Jonah crab legs and ritz crackers. It's still in the oven and it smells #^&#^&#^&#^&ing incredible.

spence 02-08-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 983859)
Thanks to Blackeye, I'm making fresh caught fluke tonight stuffed with stuffing made from Jonah crab legs and ritz crackers. It's still in the oven and it smells #^&#^&#^&#^&ing incredible.

I hope you pulled the meat from the crab legs first.

Nebe 02-08-2013 07:14 PM

Durrrr