Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Neighbors cats hide under my bird feeder (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=82938)

ThrowingTimber 07-12-2013 10:24 AM

Neighbors cats hide under my bird feeder

And destroy birds that drop seeds and try and pick them up.

I know it's just cats... Doing what cats do... However "she who must be obeyed" got to see nature in action while having her morning coffee...

The feeder is squirrel proof in that it has a bar on it for smaller birds to land on. If they're over a certain weight, it closes off the food supply. Works great on larger birds doves etc. the feeder is on a 4 foot pt post. And is secured to the top of t firmly. Squirrels are not an issue since they can't get in. The issue is that the birds who can access the food drop some seeds as they feed.

Beneath the feeder are some larger hasta, that the cat hides under sitting motionless. As the seeds from the feeder drop.. The cats grin begins to grow... The birds go to pick up the seed from around the hasta's and BOOM *feathers* everywhere..

Suggestions on how to keep the cats off the property entirely are welcome. I'm out numbered 3 to 1 and the solution I offered was immediately shot down :(

My suggestion was s.s.s (shoot, shovel, shut up)

ThrowingTimber 07-12-2013 10:29 AM

I had an .11 cent solution. And they want a $70.00 motion detection Sprinkler :(
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockfish9 07-12-2013 11:34 AM

a can of chicken of the sea and a live trap.... when you catch the little beast.. take it to her/his owner and tell her you thought a skunk or racoon was killing the birds.. you never dreamed it was her/his cat and give it back to them... if it continues.. see how well the cat can swim....

tysdad115 07-12-2013 11:46 AM

Would you like to borrow a couple of rottweilers Vic? Ill drop them off for the weekend..no more cats.

RIJIMMY 07-12-2013 12:01 PM

three words - B B Gun

seriously though, they sell these motion sensing cans that spray something, maybe jsut air that scares and keeps cats away from furniture. I bet it would work on a feeder

Redsoxticket 07-12-2013 12:05 PM

How to keep off the property entirely?
Remove the feeder.
Get a dog.
Kill the cat.

Nebe 07-12-2013 12:06 PM

1 pump. Maybe two pumps. Don't hurt them, just let them know more will follow if they come back.

Slipknot 07-12-2013 12:29 PM

Coyote piss maybe?

RIJIMMY 07-12-2013 12:43 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-StayAw.../dp/B000DZFFN4

Saltheart 07-12-2013 12:47 PM

Birds eat seeds , cats eat birds. Just tell the boss its not a bird feeder....its a cat feeder! Maybe she'll look at the situation differently if you explain it to her in those terms. :)

WESTPORTMAFIA 07-12-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1006011)
1 pump. Maybe two pumps. Don't hurt them, just let them know more will follow if they come back.

Yup 1 pump will do. When I was younger I gave a cat 3 pumps from a good 50-75 yards and it came off the ground about 8 feet all fours. I wasn't trying to hurt or kill the cat just wanted to shoot it in the azz. 1 pump won't hurt it and it will be pretty fun

Redsoxticket 07-12-2013 12:54 PM

My form of entertainment was to lasso birds and ocassionly a cat. Fresh water spinning rod setup with a about a one foot diameter loop on the end laying on the grass. Bait the interior of the loop in this case, cat food, and when the cat enters, set the loop around the leg.

Raven 07-12-2013 01:29 PM

easy

set up a leaner....

it's a metal trash can or some five gallon buckets

tilted towards their hiding spot but at the precise angle
that when filled with water it's balanced with a propped up
stick ....tie this stick off to some line...

give them a good soaking using this quick splash
and they'll NEVER come back

i had one here doing just that... but it was a feral cat
legally i could have shot it...
but let the dingo tree it and i gave it a good long soaking
with the garden hose.... and never saw it again :uhuh:

ThrowingTimber 07-12-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysdad115 (Post 1006006)
Would you like to borrow a couple of rottweilers Vic? Ill drop them off for the weekend..no more cats.

She wants some sort of rat terrier Andy a mf'in rat terrier :( I say if you have to bend over to pet it... It isn't a dog. I may need to get a large dog quickly before I end up with a mf'in rat terrier!!

Raven 07-12-2013 03:22 PM

snap fingers ->dog does

1 Attachment(s)
on my third

they'll be a 4 ,5,6,7,

if i live that long

tysdad115 07-12-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber (Post 1006029)
She wants some sort of rat terrier Andy a mf'in rat terrier :( I say if you have to bend over to pet it... It isn't a dog. I may need to get a large dog quickly before I end up with a mf'in rat terrier!!

You could carry your little dog around in a plug bag..that would be cute.:rotf2:

Fly Rod 07-12-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsoxticket (Post 1006010)
How to keep off the property entirely?
Remove the feeder.
Get a dog.
Kill the cat.

Right ON!....:)

nightfighter 07-12-2013 07:47 PM

Could also try some of those sticky traps made for mice and rats.... Stick them under the hostas. Might have a few birds as collateral damage before you get a cat to get his paws stuck in one

WESTPORTMAFIA 07-13-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysdad115 (Post 1006040)
You could carry your little dog around in a plug bag..that would be cute.:rotf2:

Lmfao

justplugit 07-13-2013 11:30 AM

Like Rav said with the water. A 5 gallon bucket of water dropped out
the window on top of him will do the trick.:hihi:

ThrowingTimber 07-13-2013 11:52 AM

If I'm dropping anything out of a window... It's going to be 22 and subsonic ;) followed by a string of firecrackers :)

justplugit 07-16-2013 09:49 AM

That will work too, Vic. :hihi:

The Dad Fisherman 07-16-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 1006034)
on my third

they'll be a 4 ,5,6,7,

if i live that long

I love that breed Raven....If I get a dog that will be it.

The Dad Fisherman 07-16-2013 10:24 AM

You could try and move the birdfeeder away from the Hostas.

FishermanTim 07-16-2013 11:44 AM

Mothballs will keep most animals away as they don't like the smell.
Cayenne pepper will drive them crazy (between sneezing fits) as well.
Canine urine might work, and it might succeed in drawing coyotes to your area.