Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Wicked Tuna (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=80623)

MakoMike 05-18-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishonnelsons (Post 999265)
Ralph from the Odysea came into the tackle shop a few weeks ago and dropped off a bunch of brochures for his Charter business. (I wasn't here, my nephew was at the shop). He asked if he could leave them here for people who come in looking for charters.

Now, we do charters, over 150 of them last year, and granted 95% of them bass/blues, but we do tuna charters as well. He's got a "Wicked Tuna" trip for $1800, then a full-day for $1500, half day stripers/blues etc for $800 and a two hour sunset cruise for $300.

My feel is Ralph should do what he can to ride this wave, and maybe his tuna trips are big time and really don't compete with me, but the half day and sunset thing are a direct competition.

Our compromise will be we'll hold the brochures behind the counter, if people bring up the show, and seem wanting to drop those dollars, we'll hook them up with Ralph. If they want bass and blues and maybe some "smaller" tuna, they are ours!!

You're a lot more generous than I would be! :)

fishonnelsons 05-18-2013 02:12 PM

As I get older I am trying to make up for "some" of my past, and I am finding it just a whole lot easier to take the high road at times.

big jay 05-18-2013 05:16 PM

Over 150 last year....

That's legit, and about 125 more than most every one of the ridiculous "pro-staff wannabe rock stars" trolling around the Internet trying to be famous.

Chuck that crap in the trash - you're a good dude with nothing to make up for.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jim in CT 05-19-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishonnelsons (Post 999288)
As I get older I am trying to make up for "some" of my past, and I am finding it just a whole lot easier to take the high road at times.

Is that Rich? Rich, I did a charter with you on Fathers Day last year with my 6 year old, Jason. You got his picture in the local paper, and helped him land a 25-pounder. Jason talks about that trip several times a week, We are trying to plan a trip up that way in the fall, hopefully you do fall charters too. You also hooked us up with a lobsterman friend, who took us all out to watch him check his pots, all 3 of my kids loved that one.

Jim in CT 05-19-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishonnelsons (Post 999265)
Ralph from the Odysea came into the tackle shop a few weeks ago...He's got a "Wicked Tuna" trip for $1800

And what do I get for plunking down $1800 for a 'Wicked Tuna' charter? The pleasure of watching him get skunked yet again, followed by a fistfight back at the dock?

I'll pass...

Fly Rod 05-19-2013 09:41 AM

These guys R in their glory and making it while they can....some sports R willing to pay more....prior to being on the show they would get 1200 for a day of cod fishing....It is no different going to florida and paying 1200 to go yellowtail snapper fishing....when ya can pay 45 bucks for the same thing.

Congrats jim on your son enjoying himself and remembering the good time that he had fishing and being with UUUUU...:)....when chartering I always made sure the kids had a great time and always mentioned to the parent or guardian to let the kid handle the first fish.

Jim in CT 05-19-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fly Rod (Post 999411)
These guys R in their glory and making it while they can....some sports R willing to pay more....prior to being on the show they would get 1200 for a day of cod fishing....It is no different going to florida and paying 1200 to go yellowtail snapper fishing....when ya can pay 45 bucks for the same thing.

Congrats jim on your son enjoying himself and remembering the good time that he had fishing and being with UUUUU...:)....when chartering I always made sure the kids had a great time and always mentioned to the parent or guardian to let the kid handle the first fish.

What I don't get is, how was the Odysea portrayed on that show, in a way that would inspire anyone to fish with him at all,let alone pay more than the going rate? He cought nothing, his only memorable moment was the fight.

Fair winds,

Jim

fishonnelsons 05-20-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big jay (Post 999315)
Over 150 last year....

That's legit, and about 125 more than most every one of the ridiculous "pro-staff wannabe rock stars" trolling around the Internet trying to be famous.

Thanks Jay, I am trying to be a good boy!!! By the by, Bill from Land and Sea came by yesterday and put a transducer on the boat so I can splash this week, new sounder and radar, let your Dad know please, he gave me some advice on this one.

fishonnelsons 05-20-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 999397)
Is that Rich? Rich, I did a charter with you on Fathers Day last year with my 6 year old, Jason. You got his picture in the local paper, and helped him land a 25-pounder. Jason talks about that trip several times a week, We are trying to plan a trip up that way in the fall, hopefully you do fall charters too. You also hooked us up with a lobsterman friend, who took us all out to watch him check his pots, all 3 of my kids loved that one.

Hi Jim, yes it is me, I remember that trip well - we got the fish in tight, over on the bay side, pretty close to my slip. Chris (the lobsterman) has moved on, sold his boat and moved south to FLA., I think he's working on a rich guys boat, nice gig. See you in the Fall!

Typhoon 05-20-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big jay (Post 999315)
Over 150 last year....

Extra strength tylenol and duct tape pro-staff right here.

big jay 05-20-2013 10:04 AM

Andrew - if you've got the pro-staff order form for duct tape, can you grab me a few rolls on the next order?

Rich - glad to hear land and sea came through for you. I'm sure we'll be in your neighborhood in a few weeks.