Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Asymmetrical Epoxy Eyes (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=65490)

Eric Roach 08-09-2010 11:14 AM

Asymmetrical Epoxy Eyes

1 Attachment(s)
I love these eyes.

M&D's carries them. I've been looking for some that have the oval pupil, a silver or gold ring bordering the pupil, but a clear background for custom painting (or blend in). I can't seem to find a retailer who has these.

There is a company in Thailand that will make these to order in reasonably small lots (meaning, 1,000). I'd hate to go that route unless they are willing to mix sizes...If not, I'd be trading them for quite a while.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find clear-backed eyes such as these?

Thanks.

derf 08-09-2010 02:46 PM

this place has a lot of 'different' eyes ...
might have what you are looking for ..
Bog Baits - Home of the Bog Frogs - Tie One On & Hang On! (Powered by CubeCart)

also some builders were scraping the coloring off the back of the eyes they had then painted them .
you could also check out eyes for decoy /bird carving / taxidermy ..

saltydog 08-09-2010 03:02 PM

Ive got the NEW STYLE, NOT the (oval pupil) have never see the OVAL w/ new gold or silver, check w/ SCOTT BEARS DEN, flytying supplys-- EYES, he has 800 no. on his site. Ibelieve only the NEW ones ae like that:confused: could be wrong.:smash:
I have 100pk like that my SON is using them on FLYS (not the oval puple ) the new style. if you need a few P.M. Im shore he wont use them all.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN

Eric Roach 08-09-2010 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 786917)
...This place has a lot of 'different' eyes...might have what you are looking for...Also some builders were scraping the coloring off the back of the eyes they had then painted them...You could also check out eyes for decoy /bird carving / taxidermy ...

Thanks, Derf.

I did stumble across Bog Baits in my search. I found a few with the silver/gold ring bordering the pupil (attached as a pic). They have some other cool color combos' too.

I tried scraping/peeling off the silver foil tape on the back of the ones I ordered from M&D's. It peeled away with some effort, but it also removed the pupil. I tried soaking a few in an adhesive remover, thinking I might be able to slide the foil away, but that didn't work.

I'll check out taxidermy eyes -- I didn't think of that.

Eric Roach 08-09-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltydog (Post 786922)
Ive got the NEW STYLE, NOT the (oval pupil) have never see the OVAL w/ new gold or silver, check w/ SCOTT BEARS DEN, flytying supplys-- EYES, he has 800 no. on his site. Ibelieve only the NEW ones ae like that:confused: could be wrong.:smash:
I have 100pk like that my SON is using them on FLYS (not the oval puple ) the new style. if you need a few P.M. Im shore he wont use them all.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN

I just looked at Bear's Den -- he has a nice selection. I think I'm good for now, but I appreciate the offer.

Eric Roach 08-09-2010 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like these eyes, too -- found them on E-Bay. It's hard to tell what the background is, but they really look interesting. I think I'm going to give these a shot.

If I can't find any clear-backed asymmetrical epoxy eyes, I think I'm going to get some made. I'd really like to custom paint some of these.

ThrowingTimber 08-19-2010 08:45 AM

duel brand "live eyes"
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven 08-19-2010 08:59 AM

those "are" cool