Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   T & W rod? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=31216)

reelecstasy 05-03-2006 08:01 AM

T & W rod?

I am getting ready to wrap up a few new rods. 2 specifically for my yak for tube and worming.
Not sure if many people are familiar with them but I am 90% sure I am going to go with a Seeker blank (secret).. It is a fast blank 7' but it has some serious backbone to it. I like the soft tip for the sensitivity, but it also has enough umph to it to cross some eyes.
Obviously 7' would be my minimum for a length because you need to be able to swing it over the bow should the fish decide to go that way...
Can anyone else recommend a rod they have found works well for trolling?
I will not be using lead core. With the speed of a yak and a little egg lead there isn't a need for the lead core.

Don M 05-03-2006 03:16 PM

Best blanks/rods for T&W from the kayak should be Eglass or a composit mix of glass and graphite, something with moderate action. Straight graphite is a bit too stiff for the yak.

NilsC 05-03-2006 10:10 PM

My T&W rig is a Tica Boat rod and ABU 7000 pro rocket and 65lb power pro. Sounds like overkill but I like to be able to pull them out of the rocks at night. I have no rodholder up front only electronics, 2 Ram Tubes behind me one on each side. RAM tubes is used for trolling and can be setup as outriggers if you are sight fishing standing up in the kayak. I have 1 RAM ball in front of me that I use when it's a lot of eel grass in the water (Used it once last year)

Nils

swanny 05-10-2006 07:01 PM

reel - I use a 7' st. croix premier heavy spinning or an extra heavy casting. fairly short money, nce short handle and plenty of back bone.

falkners 05-15-2006 11:45 AM

I use Ugly Sticks. They are supple and nearly indestructible. You don't really need to "cross their eyes"/set the hook with the T&W the fish do that all by themselves. You don't want anything too stiff you will just break it. I like the soft tip on the Ugly sticks because you can see by just looking at the tip if you have picked up any weed. Anything too stiff and you won't be able to tell whats going on at the end of your tube. You can see the little "throb" at the tip telling you that everything is working the way it is supposed to.

trigga 05-19-2006 01:58 PM

put a shimano tekota on an ugly stick a year ago, works money.. the tekota got awesome gear ratio and smooth drag... got a 7' ugly stick for short cash, works like a charm... cant go wrong t&w'ing... esp on the yak.

nightfighter 07-12-2006 06:20 PM

So what did you wrap??? I'm getting one soon from DonM.
Yup, this is all adding up quite quickly, but soon it will only be laying out dough for seaworms and eels, I hope. Can't imagine my cost per trip to date........

reelecstasy 07-13-2006 07:15 AM

Seeker (secret) :humpty: Sensitive tip, you can tell if all is well below the surface, if you pick up any weeds ya know it. It has a great backbone, enough to lift any fish. It is about 3/4" at the foregrip, I highly recommend it:kewl:

westhavendave 07-13-2006 04:48 PM

I have a 14' scupper pro and have found that an Okuma solaris 8' surf rod is perfect for my needs. Its stiff enough to troll but with enough play to know if any weed is on the tube. It is also a very versatile surf rod, and I use it alot that way when beached. I keep two on my boat one between my legs in the scotty for the tube trolling and one in my seat rod holder with a plug for topwater. Both a paired with Penn 4400ss reels with 30# Fireline. These rods can be found for about $60,which wont hurt the wallet so much if you lose the gear.The only drawback to some is that they are two piece.