Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Ice Fishing (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   ice auger tunning?? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=79779)

yj1990 10-30-2012 02:27 PM

ice auger tunning??

I live up in haverhill, my dad has a jiffy auger and it runs like #^&#^&#^&#^&. looked on line they say everything from carb adjustment to rejetting any on help me with finding some one to fix it ect thanks. and if you want to recomend some one is great, just want to you know im comming to borrow yours when they #^&#^&#^&#^& it up lol need reliable help thanks.

The Dad Fisherman 10-30-2012 02:51 PM

Did flush out the old Gas and change the plug? Good place to start?

Talk to the guy at River Street Bait and Tackle in Haverhill....he may be able to point you in the right direction for service. He's a Big Ice Fishing B&T in the area

yj1990 10-30-2012 02:59 PM

yeah i down there all the time, try to buy local but its a small shop and this is a on going pain in the ass. will run it by him thanks

Rockfish9 10-31-2012 08:37 AM

what you do/ can do depends on the engine ( not the brand) ... the 2 hp models have no adjustments and parts must be replaced... a good carb rebuild usualy repairs all woes.. the 3 HP models are adjustable, but most likely it needs an overhaul.. in the future run stabilzer in your fuel all season.. it keep carbs clean and keeps small quantities of fuel from degrading...

run fresh REGULAR fuel... not premium.. here is the reason... premium fuel, is made for high compression engines, it ignites at a higher temperture... not what you want in your Ice auger...when I mix my fuel, i use Startron as an additive... it contains cleaners,water dispersants and stabilizers to combat todays Ethonol fuels.. i also use a High grade synthetic 2 cycle oil and mix it at their specifications...in my case I use Amsoil mixed 2 100:1.. this oil is MADE to run at that ratio... always use the mix ratio recomended by the oil manufacturer...

WESTPORTMAFIA 11-01-2012 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=The Dad Fisherman;966599]Did flush out the old Gas and change the plug? Good place to start?

We all know that there should NEVER be any OLD gas left unless treated and stored. That's his problem 100%. Ethonol! Gunked out carb issue. Not a biggie.

WESTPORTMAFIA 11-01-2012 09:11 PM

90% of the time you wont need a full clean, or rebuild. Just get it started with some carb cleaner and starter fluid and run it for 15 minutes (usually spits the tiny junk out). After that treat the BRAND NEW gas and run it every once in a while.

Rockfish9 11-02-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 966995)
90% of the time you wont need a full clean, or rebuild. Just get it started with some carb cleaner and starter fluid and run it for 15 minutes (usually spits the tiny junk out). After that treat the BRAND NEW gas and run it every once in a while.

NEVER run starter fluid in a 2 stroke motor... the reason... there is no lubrication in ether...ether( starting fluid) burns uncontroled and bearings take a beating because the fuel charge is stored in the crank case... if the engine does not blow imediatly.. you are taking serious hours off of your rig...
repair kits are available at most service centers .. I order mine on line from parts tree.com...do it right.. clean the carb... mix with clean fuel and all will be fine.