Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   2018 Tuna talk (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93842)

Goose 08-13-2018 10:17 PM

:nopics:

bassballer 08-15-2018 06:58 PM

Whats the deal with the inshore bite? This time last year we catching SBFT trolling beer cans at the dump. Reports seem dead. Anyone getting out there?

Sea Dangles 08-15-2018 10:00 PM

I have many trips with poor results
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

MikeD 08-16-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassballer (Post 1148911)
Whats the deal with the inshore bite? This time last year we catching SBFT trolling beer cans at the dump. Reports seem dead. Anyone getting out there?

My uncle hits that general area a lot and says the SBFT bite this year is absolutely dead. He's been avoiding the skunk by bringing a flat of butter fish all chunked up and tossing handfuls at high flyers to get the mahi fired up. Having fun with small ones on light tackle. He did get a really nice white marlin last week on a daisy chain style lure with a splasher bird in front and a skirted ballyhoo as the stinger. That was the first fish the made the 50W sing this year though. I guess its a good year if you like to tangle with the giants. The local guys I follow on social media seem to have a lot of trucks waiting at the dock, hoisting fish off the deck.

I'm headed out tomorrow to the popular spot to see if I cant get a bonito. Any tips? not looking for spots, just tactics.

MikeD 08-22-2018 01:49 PM

Sorry I killed the tuna thread. I guess I need to throw in an Elizabeth Warren comment to move the needle around here these days.

Sea Dangles 08-22-2018 02:35 PM

It is more a case of the lack of thunnus that is causing the crickets Mike. Bones/albies are the same tactics: light leader of 12-15# floro and a small epoxy or metal lure of 1/2-1 oz. they are addictive

bassballer 09-04-2018 03:50 PM

anyone?

niko 09-06-2018 02:59 PM

theres fish around. guys are just being quiet about it. the giant fishermen are getting some rec fish in the mix. i'm gonna start going after them soon. ive been out east sharking a few times and haven't seen anything tunaish yet though

nightfighter 09-06-2018 08:09 PM

Sure are fish around. Local guy has gone large each of the past four days. Heard that 37 of 50 odd boats there hooked up.....

bassballer 09-10-2018 09:14 AM

yeah seems the hot bite missed the dump to coxes and are on the banks. Doesn't set up well for me. Time to start Hoeing.

nightfighter 09-10-2018 11:53 AM

Jeffries....

Rockfish9 09-10-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1150691)
Jeffries....

inside over the mud as well...

RIROCKHOUND 09-10-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassballer (Post 1150676)
yeah seems the hot bite missed the dump to coxes and are on the banks. Doesn't set up well for me. Time to start Hoeing.

That was brief and a bit exaggerated when it went by I am hearing.
There seems to be nothing going on south of NE, including the edge... Maybe they hung in NY/NJ for too long and scampered by.

Watch, this will be a year they blow through the blackfish grounds in November while we are all anchored up watching....

Guppy 09-17-2018 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Long ride looking yesterday, got to through a plug at two too late to the party blow ups, no luv... ended up in the p soup and boogied...

Beautiful day and spent some time hanging with a school of dolphins...

Spot burn
Attachment 65570

Moses 09-19-2018 03:42 PM

62" Tuna - SEC

3 Attachment(s)
Sun 9/16
Went to the general area I was targeting - SEC south in the 3-5 mile range offshore. Had sporadic tuna busting since sunrise along the 5-5.5 mile range. Couple miles south of Golf Ball decided to turnaround & work the 250-325' depth which was 3-5 miles offshore. Happy to share my son (with a little help from his Uncle & Dad) landed his first tuna.

We decided to drift a while and about 10 mins later a school of decent sized tuna started busting bait 50+ yds away but heading in our direction. We patiently waited and my son placed a great cast and was instantly tight. Fish was a mean bastard and we fought on spinning gear for ~1.5 hrs before we safely gaffed it.

Guppy - looks like we were in same general area, what type of boat were you on?

Guppy 09-19-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 1151468)
Sun 9/16
Went to the general area I was targeting - SEC south in the 3-5 mile range offshore. Had sporadic tuna busting since sunrise along the 5-5.5 mile range. Couple miles south of Golf Ball decided to turnaround & work the 250-325' depth which was 3-5 miles offshore. Happy to share my son (with a little help from his Uncle & Dad) landed his first tuna.

We decided to drift a while and about 10 mins later a school of decent sized tuna started busting bait 50+ yds away but heading in our direction. We patiently waited and my son placed a great cast and was instantly tight. Fish was a mean bastard and we fought on spinning gear for ~1.5 hrs before we safely gaffed it.

I seen a black hull, looked like tight, didn’t want to get too close,,,
Congrats...

20’ CC no leaning post... old guy at the wheel... LOL

Perfect day it was... GAIL FORCE on 68 and sometimes 10

Poncho 09-19-2018 08:36 PM

Good job man congrats making memories. I will be down there next weekend

wdmso 09-21-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 1151468)
Sun 9/16

thats a great catch,,, How do you keep your Seahunt so clean .. mine hasnt looked like that since day 1 lol

Guppy 09-21-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1151631)
thats a great catch,,, How do you keep your Seahunt so clean .. mine hasnt looked like that since day 1 lol

He cleans it

Moses 09-27-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1151631)

There's a general boat/hull cleaning page (Willie Hoven - seems to specialize in cleaning SH boats down south) on FB that has provided excellent insight. I even wet sanded my boat prior to season to remove many years of scratches in my navy blue hull.

wdmso 09-28-2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 1152098)
There's a general boat/hull cleaning page (Willie Hoven - seems to specialize in cleaning SH boats down south) on FB that has provided excellent insight. I even wet sanded my boat prior to season to remove many years of scratches in my navy blue hull.

Thanks i need to sand mine as well your dark hull must be hard . i will check it out