Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Deepwater jigging w/ wire line question (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=13929)

pogie157 03-30-2004 02:11 PM

Deepwater jigging w/ wire line question

Hi all -

The last couple of years I've been successfully jigging parachutes in deep water (60 feet or more), but my success has come with a price.

To get the jig down that far, I'm using 300 to 350 feet of wire and 4 oz jigs. 300 + feet is a LOT of wire, and gets tough to work with.

My question is this - has anyone experimented with 6 oz jigs? Can I get away with less wire (250 feet? 200 feet?) if I use a heavier jig? Does a heavier jig have less action?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pogie

thefishingfreak 03-31-2004 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i use the 6 oz. jigs as well as the 4 oz.
you might get away with a little less wire but not much.
takes me about 250 feet of 40#wire to hit bottom in 40 feet.
anything over 40 feet i use 6/0's filled w/ 50# wire.sometimes as much as 6-700 feet of wire out.{i call this the back breaker}.
try to reel up 3 alligator blues with over 500 feet of wire out.
i belive when you have that much wire out behind the boat it dosen't matter how heavy the jig is. i'll fish an unbrella rig and a parachute right beside each other and they'll both hit bottom with the same amount of wire out.

the red and white jig is 4 oz.
the yellow one is 6 oz. and almost a foot long,my favorite jig:)

pogie157 03-31-2004 08:47 PM

fishingfreak -

Thanks for the reply. It is as I feared - no shortcuts.

The things I do for fish!

Hooper 04-01-2004 05:07 AM

how 'bout this...

Pogie

Try getting ahold of some 3/8 - 1/2 ounce lead head jighead and picking up some 6' sluggos or fin-s soft plastic jigs. We usually cruise the areas that look promising and have held fish in the past and watch our bottom machine.

When we see some promising marks we'll head uptide and shut the boat off. Then drop those little jigs down and let them do their thing. You should do very well.

I used to use a ton of wire becasue it works very well and produces some great fish. But, in the last few season, I have been doing more verticle jigging with really light weight spinning tackle. Last season we were fishing in the middle of whale pods in 80 feet of water and doing super with this approach.

Just an idea. I found it is much more fun to whack fish this way!

-Hooper :smash:

thefishingfreak 04-01-2004 01:25 PM

if i know the fish are stacked up in one spot, i'll mostly use diamond jigs.
but there's allways the wire rods at the ready, funny i don't see alot of guys wire jigging in boston. and we do it alot, with great success.
some of the knuckleheads will see us nailing fish after fish, so they start jigging there tubes or whatever there trolling and try to immitate us.probably lead or even mono, but they aint getting down no where near where the fish are.
funny cause the'll be following us over the same hole. while we pull fish right from under there boat, sometimes behind there boat, right under there lures.
wire kicks a$$:D second to livley's:D

Hooper 04-01-2004 01:37 PM

freak

no arguement here, wire works!!!!!