Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Radioactive Bluefin crosses Ocean (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=77777)

keeperreaper 05-29-2012 09:00 AM

Radioactive Bluefin crosses Ocean

Radioactive Bluefin Tuna Crossed the Pacific to US

jasonsnova 05-29-2012 02:20 PM

great....gonna be like the movie "the hills have eyes"......except in a ocean version lol

Raven 05-29-2012 03:57 PM

it's gonna make them grow as big as a submarine :uhuh:

animal 05-29-2012 04:34 PM

Great. Now in addition to a fishfinder, I need a freakin geiger counter? :fury:

thefishingfreak 05-29-2012 05:52 PM

Hooefully That'll jack up the price of our fish and thus adding to the chaos
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven 05-30-2012 06:10 AM

they already jacked up the safe level of
radioactivity for humans... which is BULL shet

Told the wife - Never buy Tuna again - don't need to eat
fish that can swim here from radioactive Japan :hs: nope
not gonna do it... catch-em yes footballs bettah :uhuh:

taJon 05-30-2012 06:48 AM

I was wondering the same thing Mike...........

iamskippy 05-30-2012 07:07 AM

There are so many things wrong with the article, it states that pacific spawned tuna ( near japan) never leave. We know this not be true as tuna can circumvent the globe

As well they stated that its believed that adult or mature tuna can burn off the radiation rapidly, but the "shocking results" were published on 15# test subjects, a 15# bluefin is hardly a mature fish.

Raven 05-30-2012 08:27 AM

if a TUNA can burn away radiation then why are we not doing that with our radio active waste until it's no longer radio active....instead of storing it in salt mines.:huh: makes no sense to me...

MakoMike 06-01-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamskippy (Post 941498)
There are so many things wrong with the article, it states that pacific spawned tuna ( near japan) never leave. We know this not be true as tuna can circumvent the globe

Not true, the Pacific BFT is a close relative to the Atlantic BFT, but tuna Do Not cross from the Pacific to the Atlantic oceans. The Pacific BFT does not grow nearly as big as the Atlantic BFT.

Piscator 06-01-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 941918)
Not true, the Pacific BFT is a close relative to the Atlantic BFT, but tuna Do Not cross from the Pacific to the Atlantic oceans. The Pacific BFT does not grow nearly as big as the Atlantic BFT.

Is that also true for Yellow Fin? I know the Pacific Yellow Fin seem to be much bigger than their Atlantic brothers.

iamskippy 06-01-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 941918)

Mike you are correct with your correction , i forgot about the southern bluefin which is the one i was thinking of

http://thefishproject.weebly.com/the-bluefins.html

Piscator 06-01-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamskippy (Post 941934)
i am trying to find the research info, that indicates they do globally migrate.

Skippy, Accoring to the Large Pelagics Reaserch Center & Dr. Molly Lutcavage who is a world leader in BFT science there is an Atlantic population and a Pacific population. There may be a one off fish that goes here an there but they mainly stay within there parts of the globe (see link below).

I think Great Whites circumnavigate.........

Large Pelagics Research Center - Improves Management of Large Pelagic Marine Species

MakoMike 06-04-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 941920)
Is that also true for Yellow Fin? I know the Pacific Yellow Fin seem to be much bigger than their Atlantic brothers.

Yes Generally it is also true for yellowfin, though there may be some minor mixing around South Africa where the Indian Ocean meets the atlantic.

Sweetwater 06-05-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamskippy (Post 941498)

As well they stated that its believed that adult or mature tuna can burn off the radiation rapidly, but the "shocking results" were published on 15# test subjects, a 15# bluefin is hardly a mature fish.

Pacific BFT are a distinct species from Atlantic BFT, I don't think they intermingle (and don't spawn together). I don't think radiation is a threat to the Atlantic stock (but I'm no expert). However, if demand drops for Pacific BFT out of fear, it will certainly increase demand for Atlantic BFT.