Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Home Depot Cashier Error (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93087)

Rmarsh 12-08-2017 07:02 AM

Home Depot Cashier Error

Went in to pick up some 3/4" poplar plywood...took all they had on the rack...17 sheets... which was too much to load on those dollies so got an employee to forklift them outside to the truck. Went to pay and told the cashier seventeen sheets. She said she needed the skew # and then rang it up. Got my receipt and left...driving back to the shop I decided to look at the total...thats when I realized that I was only charged for one sheet....a mistake of over $500
Turned around right away and headed back to the store.
Cashier sees me in line with the slip and asked if something was wrong. I explain the situation...shes shocked but very grateful.
Says she would have been fired. Doing the right thing always feels better than getting away with something.

Sea Dangles 12-08-2017 07:16 AM

Kudos
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockfish9 12-08-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1133111)
Went in to pick up some 3/4" poplar plywood...took all they had on the rack...17 sheets... which was too much to load on those dollies so got an employee to forklift them outside to the truck. Went to pay and told the cashier seventeen sheets. She said she needed the skew # and then rang it up. Got my receipt and left...driving back to the shop I decided to look at the total...thats when I realized that I was only charged for one sheet....a mistake of over $500
Turned around right away and headed back to the store.
Cashier sees me in line with the slip and asked if something was wrong. I explain the situation...shes shocked but very grateful.
Says she would have been fired. Doing the right thing always feels better than getting away with something.

you are a vanishing breed... a lot of people would have kept going and then bragged about their "score" on social media...kudos to you for doing the right thing... I wonder how it would have turned out if the mistake had been the other way around...how much of aggravation would it have been to get your other 16 sheets..

afterhours 12-08-2017 08:23 AM

Doing the right thing when you're the only one who knows...way to go!

PaulS 12-08-2017 08:31 AM

You will be returned the good deed.

BigBo 12-08-2017 08:51 AM

Similar situation yesterday. Go to the bank to cash a check and deposit a portion in my account. New teller gives me back what was supposed to be $300 in cash after deposit. I get out to my truck, look in the envelope and he had given me $800 (Amount of my deposit). Went right back in and corrected the overage. Kid was sweating bullets hoping he wasn't going to be fired.

Rockfish9 12-08-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBo (Post 1133124)
Similar situation yesterday. Go to the bank to cash a check and deposit a portion in my account. New teller gives me back what was supposed to be $300 in cash after deposit. I get out to my truck, look in the envelope and he had given me $800 (Amount of my deposit). Went right back in and corrected the overage. Kid was sweating bullets hoping he wasn't going to be fired.

many years ago I had the same thing happen.. when I went back and told the teller she had made a mistake she replied "we don't make mistakes"... I asked to speak to a supervisor.. and was once again told "we don't make mistakes"... the next morning when I got a call from the bank saying they believe they made I mistake .. I told them that it was not possible because twice the day before I was told by them that they don't make mistakes...latter that day after a sit down with the branch manager I told him what happened and them promptly removed my accounts from that bank.

Rmarsh 12-08-2017 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1133119)

All I want for Christmas is for my dog to get better....more likely I will have to make a tough decision soon.

FishermanTim 12-08-2017 10:56 AM

Years ago I braved the masses on black Friday to get a few things I wanted/needed.
One in particular was a McCullough (?) chainsaw.

Went to where they were stacked, picked up a package, paid and went home. I found out that they were not really prepared for black Friday because the person that stocked the shelves forgot to unwrap the TWO chainsaws that were packaged in a "69" configuration, so it looked like one rectangular box.
The cashier rang up one item.

I get home and realize what they had done (or better yet FAILED to do) and had my brother return it to the store (as I had to work).

They gave him a cash refund for the returned chainsaw!!!

Sometimes doing the right thing can benefit you in more ways than you think!

paradoxjim 12-08-2017 04:58 PM

Rmarsh - sorry to hear about your tough decision; it isn't easy.
On the bright side, think how much better that cashiers Christmas will be because she still has a job!

Kudos for doing the right thing.

Swimmer 12-08-2017 06:12 PM

Hyears ago I was buying five gallons of custom paint color paint from a store in Brockton. Young lady inly charged me for four one gallon containers, not five. I mentioned that to her she was undercharging me. She looks at me spewing venom and says, what do I look like a dumbass, I kniw how to count. Oh, ok, I guess you are riggt. Paud, and left with my five gallons of paint. Paid for four.

Guppy 12-08-2017 09:33 PM

Doesn't surprise me one bit

FishermanTim 12-11-2017 12:04 PM

If you do the right thing and the person won't acknowledge an error or fix it (for their own best interest) then take it and run.

You did right, they did wrong, and you win in the end!

Rmarsh 12-16-2017 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1133119)

My dog has made a remarkable recovery...for now.
I'm a skeptic....and don't really believe in "Karma"..... though I wish things did work that way.
Also my 98 year old MIL lives with us and she has been praying for him everyday, maybe she has some influence... ;)

PaulS 12-16-2017 08:31 AM

Great news, glad to hear that