Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Trump Attorney General Jeff Sessions under fire over Russia meetings (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=91941)

wdmso 03-02-2017 05:43 AM

Trump Attorney General Jeff Sessions under fire over Russia meetings

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39136118

The US Attorney General lied to congress ???

Well well did he lie or just forget ... if it was a visit in an official capacity why would he just say so ?? 1 step forward 2 steps back

Raider Ronnie 03-02-2017 07:02 AM

You moonbats keep Clinging to that hope they will overturn the election 😜
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Fishpart 03-02-2017 08:26 AM

Previous administration made a secret deal with a state sponsor of terrorism, paid them some millions in small bills, said country subsequently took US sailors hostage and fired on US ships and the media was silent???

Sessions met with the Russians in an official capacity while serving in the Senate

Jim in CT 03-02-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpart (Post 1117942)
Previous administration made a secret deal with a state sponsor of terrorism, paid them some millions in small bills, said country subsequently took US sailors hostage and fired on US ships and the media was silent???

Sessions met with the Russians in an official capacity while serving in the Senate

There's nothing wrong with Jeff Sessions (or Mike Flynn) reaching out to their Russian counterparts to try and get some dialogue going. There is something wrong with lying about it. If it's true, Sessions should have to answer for it.

PaulS 03-02-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1117946)
There's nothing wrong with Jeff Sessions (or Mike Flynn) reaching out to their Russian counterparts to try and get some dialogue going. There is something wrong with lying about it. If it's true, Sessions should have to answer for it.

100% Correct.

Jim in CT 03-02-2017 11:33 AM

Session testified that he had no contact with Russian officials regarding the election.

Sessions did speak to Russian officials, but he is saying those conversations were not related to the election, but were related to his role on the Senate Armed Services Committee (he was a senator at the time).

The mere fact that he spoke to the Russians, does not appear to contradict his testimony. But it would have been nice if he brought it up. Why give the sharks any rope to hang you with?

buckman 03-02-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1117946)

Kinda like Holder did on multiple occasions

Nebe 03-02-2017 02:24 PM

Always say "but they did it too". That always works and solves the problem

Raven 03-02-2017 02:46 PM

he needs to resign PERIOD

Jim in CT 03-02-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 1117960)
he needs to resign PERIOD

If his conversations with the Russians had nothing to do with the election, but had to do with role as a US Senator, then why should he resign?

He testified that he didn't speak to Russians regarding the election. is there any evidence, any whatsoever, that he lied?

buckman 03-02-2017 03:54 PM

There isn't any evidence of Russia's involvement in the election period . We all know the democrats require black and white proof .

wdmso 03-03-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1117952)
Session testified that he had no contact with Russian officials regarding the election.

Sessions did speak to Russian officials, but he is saying those conversations were not related to the election, but were related to his role on the Senate Armed Services Committee (he was a senator at the time).

The mere fact that he spoke to the Russians, does not appear to contradict his testimony. But it would have been nice if he brought it up. Why give the sharks any rope to hang you with?

I feel he willfully left out he meeting with the russians because he understood it would have impacted his chances of being AG he is no dumb person .. once he has the job .. good luck getting rid of me

he willfully answered the question falsely... thats not leading by example .. but thats the trend in this administration Say 1 thing then spend weeks telling everyone what He or She ment to say .. or blame the media or the Dem's over your unforced errors

JohnR 03-03-2017 08:20 AM

He answered lawyerly and stated he did not discuss things with the Russians WRT the election.

Interestingly, he did recuse himself from influence on this particular matter. Gee, wish other AGs were willing to recuse themselves when they got too close to the fire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 1117965)
There isn't any evidence of Russia's involvement in the election period . We all know the democrats require black and white proof .

There is substantial evidence they tried to influence the election, there is no evidence they "hacked" the election.

Jim in CT 03-03-2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdmso (Post 1117983)
I feel he willfully left out he meeting with the russians because he understood it would have impacted his chances of being AG he is no dumb person .. once he has the job .. good luck getting rid of me

he willfully answered the question falsely... thats not leading by example .. but thats the trend in this administration Say 1 thing then spend weeks telling everyone what He or She ment to say .. or blame the media or the Dem's over your unforced errors

"he willfully answered the question falsely"

Here is an honest question...Did Sessions deny meeting with the ambassador, period? Or did he deny meeting with the Russian ambassador, regarding the election? The former would be a lie. The latter would not (as far as can be proven), though a little too lawyerly for my taste.

If you think Sessions should resign over this, but are OK with the fact that Attorney General Eric Holder oversaw the giving weapons to Mexican drug lords which were used to kill people...then you don't care anything about right and wrong, you only care about partisan politics.

Jim in CT 03-03-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1117987)
Interestingly, he did recuse himself from influence on this particular matter. Gee, wish other AGs were willing to recuse themselves when they got too close to the fire.

Bingo. It's a lot more transparency than we saw for the last 8 years. Maybe Sessions and the Russian ambassador were just discussing their grandchildren, like Loretta Lynch and Bill Clinton did.

PaulS 03-03-2017 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=Jim in CT;1117993]"he willfully answered the question falsely"

Here is an honest question...Did Sessions deny meeting with the ambassador, period? Or did he deny meeting with the Russian ambassador, regarding the election? The former would be a lie. The latter would not (as far as can be proven), though a little too lawyerly for my taste.

[/Q

Sessions could have said he didn't meet regarding the election but did see the Amb. 2x - once for xmin. when he stopped by and once for ymin when blah blah blah. Instead by answering the way he did, it is now up for interpretation whether he lied or not.

Don't think it is a reason to quit but a further investigation is warranted.

Jim in CT 03-03-2017 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=PaulS;1117997]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim in CT (Post 1117993)
"he willfully answered the question falsely"

[/Q

Sessions could have said he didn't meet regarding the election but did see the Amb. 2x - once for xmin. when he stopped by and once for ymin when blah blah blah. Instead by answering the way he did, it is now up for interpretation whether he lied or not.

Agreed 100%. Recusal was a wise move, and there should be an investigation.

And someone needs to tell Trump's team, no more mistakes regarding Russia.

detbuch 03-03-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1117997)
Sessions could have said he didn't meet regarding the election but did see the Amb. 2x - once for xmin. when he stopped by and once for ymin when blah blah blah.

He could have said even more than you suggest. He could have pointed out that his position in the Senate required meeting ambassadors from different countries, including Russia, that he may or may not have had even more than the two meetings he cited but couldn't remember, that other Senators had meetings with foreign ambassadors, that in the recent past during the Obama administration other Senators, even including Democrats, had met with a Russian ambassador . . . and on, and on.

A good lawyer will tell his client to answer questions specifically as asked an not to voluntarily provide more information than that which is asked. The intent of an adversarial interrogator, even if asking a seemingly innocuous question, is to evoke something which might be used against you. There was no valid reason to ask Sessions if he had met with any Russian other than if he did so in connection with influencing the election. Sessions answered exactly and specifically that valid question.

Instead by answering the way he did, it is now up for interpretation whether he lied or not.

Why does it require further investigation. The question was asked, and it was answered. If anything is now up for "interpretation" it's what was the actual point of Franken's question. Did he intend to ask if Session had met with "any" Russian for "any" reason? That would be largely inappropriate to ask. Or did he ask if Sessions met with someone in the Russian administration regarding, and influencing, the election. And that is the question Sessions answered.

Other than the intent of Franken's question, what further investigation is warranted?

RIROCKHOUND 03-03-2017 11:08 AM

Given all the optics of the Trump (Manafort, Page etc) and Russia connection, this looks bad, especially given the context of Russia/overall election and Sessions involvement/prominent support of Trump. Agree with JR, there is substantial evidence, but nothing clear that it had a tangible impact.

However, if reports are true, that travel expenses for one of the meetings was paid by the campaign, then this warrants more investigation for sure.

p.s. did anyone see Page's interview last night? What a smug, weaselly little guy he appeared to be....

detbuch 03-03-2017 11:58 AM

Old news that was not much explored by mainstream media, nor the Democrats, back in the day. But was about a real, verified, request by Ted Kennedy for Russian intervention in the 1984 election.

https://www.forbes.com/2009/08/27/te...-robinson.html

If that was OK, then what is the fuss about not yet verified current allegations. Oh, well, things change. The Russians must be a far bigger threat now than they were at the height of the Cold War.

Here is the note to Andropov by Chebrikov who had received the request from Kennedy:

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/k...-offer-to-ussr

buckman 03-03-2017 12:00 PM

Well they say if you repeat the story often enough it becomes believable.

wdmso 03-03-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1117987)
He answered lawyerly and stated he did not discuss things with the Russians WRT the election.

There is substantial evidence they tried to influence the election, there is no evidence they "hacked" the election.

thats a plus

scottw 03-03-2017 02:15 PM

Al Franken is a third rate comedian soooooo...:huh::laugha:

Pelosi, Schumer and friends who lie out of habit on a daily basis for a living calling someone a liar and /or questioning someone's integrity??....this is precious

scottw 03-03-2017 04:36 PM

ooops....liar liar pantsuit on fire http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...meeting-235653

PaulS 03-03-2017 05:40 PM

Trump tweeted that Schumer met with the Russian Ambassador also. Schumer's response was he'll testify under oath what they discussed and asked if Trump and his cabinet would do the same. Somehow I don't think Pres. Trump will take him up on it

scottw 03-03-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1118022)
Trump tweeted that Schumer met with the Russian Ambassador also. Schumer's response was he'll testify under oath what they discussed and asked if Trump and his cabinet would do the same. Somehow I don't think Pres. Trump will take him up on it

better be under oath, sodium pentathol and a lie detector for Schumer...or.....maybe just waterboard him.....

detbuch 03-03-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1118022)

Moving the goalposts again.

PaulS 03-03-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detbuch (Post 1118025)
Moving the goalposts again.

Not sure what you're talking about I know Trump constantly moves the goal posts. Maybe you could clarify?

PaulS 03-03-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 1118024)
better be under oath, sodium pentathol and a lie detector for Schumer...or.....maybe just waterboard him.....

Why do you think you he lies?

JohnR 03-03-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 1118027)
Why do you think you he lies?

Po LI(e is silent) tician