Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Low rpm’s (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=93826)

Guppy 06-15-2018 06:13 PM

Low rpm’s

Headed back in today and couldn’t get above 4K rpm...
Here we go again!

Starting with fuel filters this weekend then ordering VST, gaskets, msc., and May send the injectors out locally...

No long trips in my future for a while... grrrrrrr

piemma 06-17-2018 05:50 AM

Ray, same symptoms I had last year. Among other things it was the high pressure fuel pump. Sorry. $400+

nightfighter 06-17-2018 08:50 AM

This is why I hire out all my outboard work.... Season is too short. I am sure I could save a few bucks winterizing and commissioning engine, but he knows and can recognize stuff that I would be guessing at.

Guppy 06-17-2018 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Up and running!
Changed out bulb, micron filter, plugs and OEM filter..
Emptied out most of the fuel out of the 10 micron mini filter, shook it, dumped into glass , got this...
Attachment 65338
Not sure what that orange stuff is, feels a little gritty

The black stuff is definitely rubber IMO

Got her up to 5K RPM good enough for now...
Ordering VST filter to change when I have time..

BOATS

piemma 06-18-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1144726)
This is why I hire out all my outboard work.... Season is too short. I am sure I could save a few bucks winterizing and commissioning engine, but he knows and can recognize stuff that I would be guessing at.

Ross, totally agree. That's what I did before I sold the boat.

Pete F. 06-18-2018 03:26 PM

Is the orange stuff varnish?
I know my brother ended up replacing his tank and all the lines to end his fuel problem.

Guppy 06-18-2018 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 1144812)
Is the orange stuff varnish?
I know my brother ended up replacing his tank and all the lines to end his fuel problem.

Hmmmm, I dun know but the aluminum tank is 14 yrs old, I worked on it last winter because it had come loose. I knew I should have replaced it then but .... :smash:

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1144803)
Ross, totally agree. That's what I did before I sold the boat.

A real Italian doesn’t pay to have something done he can do himself
(Especially when he can’t afford it) ;-) :wave:

Higgie 06-18-2018 07:56 PM

It’s the rubbish in fuel these days it turns to a jelly. As a full time mechanic it’s only getting worse. This year I’ve had more problems with equipment that sits over the winter then I have in the past 8 years. I replaced all the fuel lines in my boat last year and for the short change it cost prob do it again. The lines will degrade and break down push particles through everything. Makes me appreciate the short line I have from my little 6 gal tank
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma 06-19-2018 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1144821)
Hmmmm, I dun know but the aluminum tank is 14 yrs old, I worked on it last winter because it had come loose. I knew I should have replaced it then but .... :smash:

A real Italian doesn’t pay to have something done he can do himself
(Especially when he can’t afford it) ;-) :wave:

That's true Ray but I am not a good mechanic.

Guppy 06-21-2018 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out the VST
8 or 900 hrs, new vs old
Attachment 65366

piemma 06-22-2018 08:39 AM

I thought you put a new VST filter in last year?

Guppy 06-22-2018 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1145124)
I thought you put a new VST filter in last year?

LOL
couldn’t remember, was it last year? Or year before!
Pretty sure I got a bad fill up of chit gas and it went right through the engine, had the injectors cleaned also and now back up to over 5K rpm....
Now I’m down to a fuel line leak that dumb arz me didn’t catch before putting it all back together...:smash:
Attachment 65370

wdmso 06-23-2018 05:40 PM

Glad your making progress .. any way to filter more fuel before it gets to the vst filter?.. not sure it will help

Ian 06-24-2018 06:35 AM

Nice to see progress towards actually fixing a motor problem, I never got past the gremlin I was chasing in mine last summer :)

Unrelated to your RPMs, does that steering knob squeak like the #^&#^&#^&#^&ens for you? I think I’ve got the same one and have been trying to think of the right lubricant to get the damn thing to shut up!

SolOmoN 06-24-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 1145260)
Nice to see progress towards actually fixing a motor problem, I never got past the gremlin I was chasing in mine last summer :)

Unrelated to your RPMs, does that steering knob squeak like the #^&#^&#^&#^&ens for you? I think I’ve got the same one and have been trying to think of the right lubricant to get the damn thing to shut up!

spend 10k on stuff you don't need and the wife will drown out the loudest noise you can think of.... just a thought.
sol...

Guppy 06-24-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 1145260)

Nope, no squeaks

Sol, you sound like a man of experience.... :-)

Ian 06-24-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolOmoN (Post 1145285)
spend 10k on stuff you don't need and the wife will drown out the loudest noise you can think of.... just a thought.
sol...

I don’t have the balls