Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Backyard bird watching (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=46472)

striperman36 01-01-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 736005)
the house sparrow was introduced here in the good ole USA via NYC and central park when 50 pairs were released in the 1800's. I hate them because they take the nesting spots from the native species.

along with robins

Raven 01-01-2010 09:18 PM

dA

ROBINS

EAT all of my worms.... i want to make robin kabobs. :grins:

~
wild bird's unlimited has a pretty good bird magazine in their stores
and the last months issue is there usually free....glossy photos

great place for seed that's better quality than walmart crap...

but agway usually has the best prices....

Chris in Mass 01-02-2010 09:13 AM

Good info guys - Thanks all for the responses. Here is a discussion forum that I signed up for. Looks promising.

BirdForum - The Net's Largest Birding Community, Dedicated To Wild Birds

Looks like the same engine as this site. About 90K members and the categories look well organized. There is even a state by state category.

spence 01-02-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris in Mass (Post 735990)
Are there any equivalent websites like this one for birding that are focused on the Northeast? Anyone subscribe to a good birding magazine?

First thing I'd do is get a copy of a good (i.e. classic) field guide like this one...get a used one, they already have mojo :)

Amazon.com: Peterson Field Guide(R) to Eastern Birds: Fourth Edition (Peterson Field Guides) (9780395266199): Roger Tory Peterson: Books

-spence

PRBuzz 01-02-2010 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 736117)
First thing I'd do is get a copy of a good (i.e. classic) field guide like this one...get a used one, they already have mojo :)

-spence

I have a copy of Peterson Eastern Birds with very little mojo, still looks brand new that I'd be willing to part with. I have several field guides which currently get very little use. I see that Amazon list new @$55. I'll part with mine for $40 (shipped) or $35 picked up/hand transferred.

PRBuzz 01-02-2010 10:19 AM

Does anyone do life lists? When I last updated, I was at about 220 species. Use to watch birds much more when young (HS/college) than now but I do have feeders active and just checked: 8 different species at feeders in preparation for the storm.

Raven 01-02-2010 02:01 PM

use your imagination

you can have all the feeders you want but
you need to do some broadcast seeding also where you can.....

the birds respond to their environment too
so increase their FUN any way possible...

they like "sheltered spots" especially in this snowy weather

that's why i mentioned the Quonset huts made from pine bark.

for example:
just now after going out food shopping we noticed a sign
for FREE Christmas trees ....that did not sell b4 Christmas
and i grabbed two and tossed them into the back of my car

they are now out on the deck in my little Bird play ground
and instantly the birds Love hopping around under them.:buds:

Chris in Mass 01-02-2010 05:11 PM

Funny you say that Raven. Just took my xmas tree down and propped it up in the woods near the feeders. It's like a mini playground before they hit the feeders.

The guide I'm using now is Kaufman's Field Guide to Birds of North America - pretty decent. I'm always looking - I'm a sucker for guide books.

striperman36 01-02-2010 07:28 PM

Audubon Field guides

PRBuzz 01-02-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 736262)
Audubon Field guides

Got the Audubon Birds and Rep/Amphib, too. I think the Peterson is better.

PRBuzz 01-09-2010 10:28 AM

Cold is really bringing the birds to the feeders today. Saw my 1st Red-Bellied WP (female) since putting out the suet about a week ago. Funny name for a bird that has no red at all on the belly! More appropriate would be a Redneck WP?

Bad news: starlings are zeroing in!

justplugit 01-09-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 737720)

Bad news: starlings are zeroing in!

I find they spook pretty easy with a bang on the window
or a little starling/blackbird chase. :D
Man can they eat suet. :(

basswipe 01-10-2010 08:44 AM

Feeder's are already jamming today.

Chris in Mass 01-10-2010 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a log suet feeder for the woodpeckers and added it to the station. Now it is the wait game. Made it like this (Duncraft), but with poplar.

ProfessorM 01-10-2010 03:11 PM

saw a bunch of bluebirds this morning around the boxes again. i have heard they will bundle together in boxes in the winter cold nites. That may have been the case. They should be south as I would if I had wings

Raven 01-10-2010 05:28 PM

Bluejays =Wolf Pack

if we buy a roasted chicken somewhere like say Bj's for five bucks

the black plastic tray goes out there with the left overs

and they devour it like Piranha :uhuh:

likwid 01-10-2010 07:04 PM

My parents have a small army of woodpeckers coming to their suet feeder. Dog keeps the squirrels away. :hihi:

We just got a birdfeeder down here where I am now (Southampton LI) about 2 weeks ago and the birds have found it.
Had a Cardinal pair out there yesterday and the usual hundred thousand chikadees that have found it.

ProfessorM 01-10-2010 07:23 PM

tufted titmouse is my most abundant, and a lot of cardinals too. Really missing the few Carolina Wrens we usually always have but have been absent this year, although they were around a lot this summer as they woke me up often. Squirrels have been scarce the last few years must be the coyotes.

PRBuzz 01-10-2010 07:34 PM

Got the wrens over here! Titties = chicks but all outnumbered by common house sparrows. Got 3 regular Cardinals, boy are they territorial.

Chris in Mass 01-10-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 738118)
...Squirrels have been scarce the last few years must be the coyotes.

I think you got a point there. Squirrels have been scarce my way too. Coyotes were so close last night they woke us up. We typically hear them when we are up, but they never have woken us up -Freaky

likwid 01-10-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris in Mass (Post 738149)
I think you got a point there. Squirrels have been scarce my way too. Coyotes were so close last night they woke us up. We typically hear them when we are up, but they never have woken us up -Freaky

The real wackos are hunting them for food now? :rotf2:

PRBuzz 01-10-2010 08:59 PM

Did anyone watch the Nature special on hummingbirds? Just finished on WGBH2, should show again. Great footage and several new learnings.

basswipe 01-11-2010 06:29 PM

We've had lots of Wrens and Titmice here.The Downies have been absent around the suet feeders.

Haven't seen my Sharpie(hawk) yet this year.

The stupid Blue Heron is STILL hanging around!

Raven 01-11-2010 09:24 PM

suet

maybe the presentation isnt right..........
for the smaller downies as i have both kinds
the bigger Harries cuz they have a brownish tuft of hair
between the beak and their head
it acts as a shock absorber when they rat ta tat tat
on a tree drilling it for bugs

i find they want a long profile to land ,survey, and approach
as they are very cautious with much bobbing and weaving to
make sure nothing has changed since their last visit.

the wife's been buying suet at Job lot about 7 cakes per week
so that their is several options available.
they seem to have a pretty good selection there
and the Nutties (i callem) nuthatches
and the smaller downies like the peanut suet...

nuthatches are quite fond of the smaller spanish peanuts
and like Cardinals favor safflower seed which looks
like a hulled sunflower seed except they are white.

PRBuzz 01-13-2010 04:53 PM

Today the birds were (almost) the food: visit by a sharp-shined hawk!

Right now at dusk about 20 mourning doves doing their best at cleaning up the ground.

PRBuzz 01-17-2010 11:27 AM

Playing with my VadoHD camera spying on the birds. First attempt nice shot of some mourning doves. Weird, the birds seem to know they are being filmed!

Doves.flv video by PRBuzz - Photobucket

Chris in Mass 01-17-2010 07:55 PM

Cool Cam. Shame you couldn't get some cards in the shot. I'd tak a Junco. Friggin Doves - Always in the way :D

PRBuzz 01-17-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris in Mass (Post 739946)
Cool Cam. Shame you couldn't get some cards in the shot. I'd tak a Junco. Friggin Doves - Always in the way :D

Doves were first. Got Cards, Junkos, and at end of day a Song Sparrow. Here's the song sparrow.

http://s772.photobucket.com/albums/y...gSparrow-1.flv

Chris in Mass 01-17-2010 09:20 PM

Nice. You mostly ground feeding?

PRBuzz 01-17-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris in Mass (Post 739970)
Nice. You mostly ground feeding?

I've got feeders but also spread mucho seed (premium mix: mullet, sunflower, and safflower plus thistle) on the ground.