Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   TUNA & Big Game (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Pushing, Wakeing tuna (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=72766)

srt44116 08-14-2011 04:15 AM

Pushing, Wakeing tuna

:chased:So i have been out the past couple days and seen hundreds of tuna. We went 0-3 on friday. ( dont wana talk about it, lets just say im 1 less gaff. LOL) There feeding habits have been very diffrent from what i normally see. They have been Pushing or Waking out in schools that are clearly visible from miles away. We took over 100 casts at fish and only came tight a few times. ( i know a few times is alot better than none) My question is what can you do, or have you found works casting to these pushing tuna?

All input is welcome. Were going out again today to try some new stuff to try and get these fish to bite!!!

Mabe its this full moon
:):grins:

thefishingfreak 08-14-2011 10:26 AM

Pulpit and harpoon
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

MakoMike 08-15-2011 09:52 AM

Usually when they are on top pushing water they are on very small baits, like rain bait. try going smaller with your offerings.

Goose 08-15-2011 11:58 AM

Yup, I experienced the same thing this past weekend. They where feeding but not aggressively. tuna where feeding all around clumps of floating weed, where small schools of bait where hangin. Pod's of tuna where football to 48"(guesstamating)

For about an hour I threw all I had at'um. Being that I'm green, Im not sure if its poor presentation or I need to down size. wish i had brought my striper gear.

Any consistency on certain lures when it comes to school BFT?

Sea Dangles 08-15-2011 12:31 PM

RonZ
They catch tuna consistantly.

Goose 08-15-2011 01:35 PM

I threw the the 4X10 silver. I luved the way looked. I'll pick-up the smallers ronz's... 3x61/2, but i've heard the 3X hook won't hold a 100# BFT...what do you think?

Also, you get more for your money when you down size .60 a bait vs $2.50. It doesn't take many dogfish or any other toothy critter to go through'um. BFT on a budget aint EZ

Mr. Sandman 08-15-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 880059)
RonZ
They catch tuna consistantly.

That must be a stellwagon thing because I have ***never*** caught a tuna on a ronz

srt44116 08-15-2011 02:47 PM

So we went out yesterday, WHAT A DAY!!! BUT still no tuna. So we had a large school mabe 1/2 acre wide of small to medium tuna all day under birds. The school never sounded for more than 5-10 min. I dont know what they where on but it must of been small as Krill. The tuna where FULL out Blitizing like a silly bluefish blits for a long time. I had hunderd odf shots right into school. I through the tackel box at them. ( alot of GEAR) not even a bump or a look.
They must be on something REALLLY small. I guy on our boat even through his fly rod at them in the middle of the full out blitz with nothing.

I Am IN awe that we didnt come tight. Last year i had a day like that when they where on bunker and came tight to 14 fish

Yeaderday 0

Sea Dangles 08-17-2011 06:20 AM

4x10 is good, I like the head with a swinging hook. The tattoo sea pup is also a proven winner.The GotStripers bait rigged with only a hook also gets strikes. All relatively inexpensive in the tuna world.
Sandman, I have a friend who just won the 360tuna shootout for the second year in a row. He uses nothing but RonZ even in RI waters. People from down south can't believe tuna hit menhaden up here; regional faire I guess.

keeperreaper 08-17-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goose (Post 880071)
I threw the the 4X10 silver. I luved the way looked. I'll pick-up the smallers ronz's... 3x61/2, but i've heard the 3X hook won't hold a 100# BFT...what do you think?

Also, you get more for your money when you down size .60 a bait vs $2.50. It doesn't take many dogfish or any other toothy critter to go through'um. BFT on a budget aint EZ

4x10 is a legit hook; the other not so much once the fish hit triple digit weights. The GotStriper is a proven winner that swims the nuts and is cheap and durable. Throw sink jig. Repeat if necessary.

JackK 08-17-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dangles (Post 880609)
4x10 is good, I like the head with a swinging hook. The tattoo sea pup is also a proven winner.The GotStripers bait rigged with only a hook also gets strikes. All relatively inexpensive in the tuna world.
Sandman, I have a friend who just won the 360tuna shootout for the second year in a row. He uses nothing but RonZ even in RI waters. People from down south can't believe tuna hit menhaden up here; regional faire I guess.

I had a hookup on waking fish with a herring sea pup on Friday. Few boils on white 12" sluggos as well.

Sea Dangles 08-17-2011 05:15 PM

Nice Kevin.

PRBuzz 08-17-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srt44116 (Post 880089)
So we went out yesterday, WHAT A DAY!!! BUT still no tuna. So we had a large school mabe 1/2 acre wide of small to medium tuna all day under birds. The school never sounded for more than 5-10 min. I dont know what they where on but it must of been small as Krill. The tuna where FULL out Blitizing like a silly bluefish blits for a long time. I had hunderd of shots right into school. I through the tackel box at them. ( alot of GEAR) not even a bump or a look.

Yeaderday 0

We are bringing extra tackle boxes for tomorrow.:) I'd just love to see breaking tuna schools again like you describe even if they don't hook up.:drool: