Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Heavy snow again (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=89973)

ecduzitgood 02-07-2016 08:47 PM

Heavy snow again

2 died in the last storm so keep in mind trees and branches can kill. Also think about what won't keep in the fridge if we lose power and cook it if it can't be frozen....snow starts at 4am....stay safe everyone.

piemma 02-08-2016 08:23 AM

If you have lived in New England in the winter for any length of time and don't own a generator, you're not paying attention.

nightfighter 02-08-2016 08:38 AM

That is a wide brush you paint with, Paul....

ecduzitgood 02-08-2016 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemma (Post 1092834)
If you have lived in New England in the winter for any length of time and don't own a generator, you're not paying attention.

I really haven't had to use the generator that often but was more concerned about the people here since they can't be replaced.
Not much for snow here less than an inch so far.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven 02-08-2016 11:59 AM

mine is still in the box brand new-lol

i always paint with a wide brush.... just in case i'm right

5/0 02-08-2016 05:24 PM

I got the heads up last night from the boss that we have the day off due too the in coming storm,I got a call at 0455hrs. For an emergency not heat call for a high rise in downtown. ..so much for a day off,Btw this on call chit is for the birds.

The roads were great heading in but coming home at 1030hrs it wasn't bad at all,slow but steady.

I want to become a meteorologist 6 figures nice suits and wrong 40-60% of the time and still have a job.
If I had those stats I wouldn't have a job doing what I do.

Mike P 02-09-2016 01:45 PM

That wet heavy stuff turned into about 8" (all told including the inch that fell after I finished shoveling) of light, fluffy powder. At least in my driveway, that is.

Swimmer 02-09-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5/0 (Post 1092860)
I got the heads up last night from the boss that we have the day off due too the in coming storm,I got a call at 0455hrs. For an emergency not heat call for a high rise in downtown. ..so much for a day off,Btw this on call chit is for the birds.

The roads were great heading in but coming home at 1030hrs it wasn't bad at all,slow but steady.

I want to become a meteorologist 6 figures nice suits and wrong 40-60% of the time and still have a job.
If I had those stats I wouldn't have a job doing what I do.

Not as long as you get paid a few bucks an hour for being on-call.

piemma 02-10-2016 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1092835)
That is a wide brush you paint with, Paul....

May be Ross but I am tired of neighbors, who have lived on my street as long as I have, coming over and complaining because they lost power "but saw your lights on". No wood stove, no generator, I'm sorry you should be living in a major metropolitan area, not in the middle of the forest.
BTW, we don't have city water or sewers so, when the power goes out, these folks have no water or heat. A 3500KW generator will run your furnace, well pump and fridge. Not a huge expense.

Rockport24 02-10-2016 10:10 AM

I was thinking of a generator and you guys gave me the good advice to go speak to my neighbors (which isn't easy since I barely ever see them), but finally had a conversation with the guy next door and he said he can't recall ever having an issue in 25 years, even in last winter's storms.

Then in the wind/rain storm a couple of weeks ago we lost power for like 10 seconds... I still feel like its a good thing to have though in the worst case. I have a wood burning fireplace which would keep the family warm, but it won't stop the pipes from freezing in the rest of the house I guess.