Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Vintage Lures (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Reverse Atoms (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=33610)

Backbeach Jake 08-07-2006 06:36 PM

Reverse Atoms

How or were they weighted?

capesams 08-07-2006 06:43 PM

only the A 40 plastic poppers had lead.

nothing in the reverse till they drilled holes in the stern to let the water in for alittle more distance.

Flaptail 08-08-2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capesams

nothing in the reverse till they drilled holes in the stern to let the water in for alittle more distance.

And we can all thank Arnold Laine for that suggestion.

OLD GOAT 01-03-2007 02:23 PM

my reverse atom ...in the fallbecause of storms i would add #6shotgun shot in the holes and then drip in candellwaxto hold it.man o man would they cast against the wind

piemma 02-21-2007 08:28 AM

I JUST found one in my basement with the holes drilled in it. I think it was my fathers so that would put it late 60's, early 70's

Raven 02-21-2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capesams (Post 404221)

was that just for distance CAPE SAMS ?

i thought perhaps it was to get them to suspend...
and there was a hole plug... (wishful thinking :uhuh: )

i want some plugs that will suspend. neutral bouyancy

capesams 02-21-2007 12:23 PM

story goes, there was a huge school of large just out of reach on the backside sand,,,no one could reach them with the ammo they had...then A.L got a idea of loading up a reverse to reach the school...drilled 2 holes in the back and let the plug fill with water...they got their extra distance they needed....guy's were rewiring their swimmers turning them into reverses..after that Bob.p started making them that way.

Rockfish9 02-21-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capesams (Post 465953)
story goes, there was a huge school of large just out of reach on the backside sand,,,no one could reach them with the ammo they had...then A.L got a idea of loading up a reverse to reach the school...drilled 2 holes in the back and let the plug fill with water...they got their extra distance they needed....guy's were rewiring their swimmers turning them into reverses..after that Bob.p started making them that way.

That's the same story I've heard and read.....

LeCounts1099 02-21-2007 12:52 PM

I like the BBs & sealed method... as I figure the extra noise/ rattle will help call in Bass in the rough/ turbulent water conditions that I'd be throwing the Reverse into most times anyway... (not to mention you can make them heavier than with just the amount of water in the chamber on the cast will)... Of course the heavier the weight, the more effort to work the plug-- but they'll work even heavy if fished right! I also like to use a single rear large Siwash with a longish squid- skirt dressing it! :think: I like pink or yellow skirts on the Amber Reverse...

I try to carry three differently- weighted (including unweighted) Reverses in my vehicle plug- crate anytime I'm on on- Cape, or wherever squid are running... Thanks for your legacy, Mr. Laine!

Skitterpop 02-22-2007 06:27 PM

:ss: :chased: :grins: :walk: :( :bgi: :whackin: :wall:

my grandson`s post....carry on