Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Rig a Dead Pogy for Trolling ? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=5902)

Jersey_Jim 02-02-2003 09:58 PM

Rig a Dead Pogy for Trolling ?

Hi All, What's the best way to rig a dead pogey or herring for trolling ?
TX

:D

JohnR 02-03-2003 10:51 PM

Depends - Trebble or live bait hook thru the snout and on herring and macs - you can also go thru the dorsal...

I'd add more but I'd get likely shot by a couple people :D

Clammer 02-03-2003 11:12 PM

TROLLING DEAD%%%%%%%%%%%

bloocrab 02-04-2003 07:08 AM

I don't think the "traditional" way is Legal, so I won't post it. . . . but I think your better off drifting - than trolling them. Unless you can get their bellies REAL heavy, to keep them right side up...:eek: ....sssshhhhhhhh. OK! OK!!...

...Troll the Tube & worm.

.....Chunk the Pogy

Mr. Kav 02-10-2003 09:10 AM

i am not quite sure what is happening in this thread. do you guys know of some "secret" way or something to rig baits that some people don't want out? i have been trolling all different types of dead bait fish for years. not nessecerely pogies for stripers. I am curious of the "secret" though.

Team Rock On 02-10-2003 09:28 AM

I think they are talking about a method invented by Sir Duncan many years ago!!

Mr. Kav 02-10-2003 10:45 AM

i guess i will have to wait for the movie to come out to learn of the secret pogie trolling rig. i found a big egg weight and a needle and thread does wonders for some types of bait fish and keeps them right side up and running true. Another trick i have learned with ballyhoo is if you split the bill of one and run the wire leader through the split it will run straighter. That is a nice trick for wahoo fishing. i am sure everyone has their little secret tricks of the trade. i think just like anything if you do it enough times you can learn your own tricks.

Canalratt1 02-10-2003 01:44 PM

Your close but only the "Yo-Yo's" fish this way

NEXT2NUN 02-10-2003 09:27 PM

Grind the pogies for chum, and troll a tube and worm, or tube and squid tail

Goose 02-10-2003 11:33 PM

here's my .02

No secret that trollin live pogies, herrin, scup is deadly. I've caught nice fish with dead fresh bait the same way. Take your pog's and cut some slices into them. The slices are horizontal and at a 45 degree towards the head. Do this on both sides of the bait, this will give your bait that extra life like appearence and releases scent. Hook'em through the nose and twitch your bait once you get it down. I know alot of guys don't like using wire(I'm not crazy bout it) but wire is what you want when your trollin whole bait in deeper water.

Mr. Kav 02-12-2003 08:03 AM

goose, i think i might try that and run it from a down rigger this year just to see what happens.

RI Popper 02-15-2003 03:47 PM

I have taken whole small snapper blues and small herring and put them on a tube jig and had great success. The only thing is take a small piece of wire and wire the mouth shut. and put a trailer hook on the tube jig and put it through the bait just below the dorsal fin. and the top hook through the top of the nose.

Striper SniperX 02-16-2003 02:18 AM

Hey RI popper, welcome to S-B!!

I bought one of your plugs at the RISAA tackle show, can't wait to fish it!

-------------
sorry for the OFF-TOPIC :D

MoroneSaxatilis 10-07-2005 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canalratt1
Your close but only the "Yo-Yo's" fish this way

<PERK> Did someone say Yo-Yo's?