Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Beer & Beverage (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Nebe Belgian Tripple Review (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=78352)

spence 07-10-2012 06:20 PM

Nebe Belgian Tripple Review

Nebe wanted a real review of the beer he just gave me so here it goes.

Serving temp 38 dregrees.

Glass: Chimay chalice.

Initial pour shows carbonation true to style. Head dissipates quickly though without much structure and leaves a clean glass.

Color is a straw blonde with a bit of sediment in the bottle.

First nose gives me a little banana and a heavy orange citrus note with an undercurrent I could only describe as baked rye flour.

Flavor is pretty one dimensional. Tastes a lot like the nose suggests with the addition of some kettle hops to round out the finish. It's far less malty that I expected but very well balanced.

A bit warmer now and the nose has lost the citrus and has more of a bandaid character.

Towards the bottom of the glass the kettle hops are showing through and the nose is getting a bit of a toasted character with more bandaid on the finish.

At the end it's getting a grassy note on the nose, very green, and the bandaid has turned more oily.

Final sip in the mouth its pretty mellow and tastes a bit like Shock Top.

Summary: a subtle beer but for a hombrew it had a life cycle like an interesting wine. I'm not sure I'd call this a Belgian triple, it's more of a Belgian Blonde. Good flavor but without the mouthfeel you'd get from the real deal.

Final score: B+

flyvice11787 07-10-2012 07:03 PM

For a first attempt homebrew, that's damn good. 'Specially coming from you, Spence.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe 07-10-2012 08:13 PM

Ahh yer killin me!!
Next up for review will be an imperial IPA. :)

Nebe 07-10-2012 08:16 PM

I think the Tripel needs to condition for a while longer to mature a little. That's my hunch.

spence 07-11-2012 07:07 AM

I'm not sure there's enough going on that time will add. This is a fresh citrusy beer I'd rather enjoy young.

And Vice, I don't think this is his first time. B+ is pretty damn good if you ask me.

What's the alcohol content? I suspect lower than you expected.

-spence

Nebe 07-11-2012 08:31 AM

6.8 abv.

This was my first batch of beer in rhode island with my own equipment. I did some brewing in Colorado with Mrs Nebe, but this was the first batch I did start to end.
I think the IPA will Leave you impressed... Bottling it this afternoon...

RIJIMMY 07-11-2012 02:08 PM

cant believe I didnt receive a bottle

Nebe 07-11-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 948280)
cant believe I didnt receive a bottle

We don't serve texans here buddy. :P

RIJIMMY 07-12-2012 01:35 PM

state-ist

The Dad Fisherman 07-12-2012 02:18 PM

When he brews up a batch of Lone Star you'll be 1st on the list...:hihi:

Have any of the Shiner offerings yet? They aren't bad

RIJIMMY 07-12-2012 04:29 PM

shiner bock is good and they make another decent dark beer, forgot the name, but the real star down here is Ugly Pug. This stuff is amazing

Ugly Pug

RIJIMMY 07-12-2012 04:30 PM

and the best part......they sell it at Target