Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   I lost mans best friend (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=89120)

Hookedagain 09-07-2015 09:23 PM

I lost mans best friend

After returning from a week in Maine bear hunting I went to pick up my 2 Labs from the Kennel to find out they have Kennel Cough. I don't understand how a kennel that checks a dogs paperwork still gets infected with kennel cough. We called the vet and were told to take them to the E R in Swansea. We were getting ready to leave and my Yellow started acting strange. He walked to the farthest corner of the yard and laid down facing the woods. He wasn't responding to my call so my son went down there with a leash and walked him back to the house. We took the to the E R and he was severely dehydrated, with nausea, and a hard stomach. They admitted him and we went to my sons baseball game. Half way through the game my wife gets a call that he has a tumor the size of a bowling ball on his spline. We went back to see him and he didn't know us and was just laying there. After saying our good byes, my wife and son left me alone with him . Saturday night just before 10:30 we had to put our beloved Yellow Lab Charlie down. Hardest thing was to watch my son deal with losing his best buddy. We're going to miss you old boy!

Sea Dangles 09-07-2015 09:46 PM

Ugh
Sorry for your loss
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven 09-08-2015 02:09 AM

so sorry to hear about charlie
at least he didn't suffer too long
my sincere condolences to you and your family's sudden
loss of a true friend ....

BigFish 09-08-2015 03:58 AM

Thats a tough call to make but he suffers no more. So sorry for your loss. They are members of the family and we morn them when we lose them for sure. No doubt you gave him as much joy and love as he gave you.

Nebe 09-08-2015 07:37 AM

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine loosing a dog due to those circumstances :(

justplugit 09-08-2015 09:07 AM

So sorry to hear. They are members of our family and I've found
one of the hardest things in life is to have to put them down.
He will live in your memory forever.

Jackbass 09-08-2015 09:54 AM

Sorry for your loss

5/0 09-08-2015 10:47 AM

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, it's one thing to feel the void of Charlie's absence but to see the pain of your kids is ten fold..Truly sorry Spud.

JohnR 09-08-2015 11:04 AM

Sorry to hear Bud. Really sorry. I have heard people accurately say that dogs live such short lives so we can enjoy time with more of them.

Don't wait too long before getting another pup, not to replace your loss, but to start a new, different family love.

Slipknot 09-08-2015 11:47 AM

Sorry to hear that Spud :(

PaulS 09-08-2015 12:43 PM

sorry to hear that.

vineyardblues 09-08-2015 04:34 PM

Spud,
So sorry for your loss,suxs big time

nightfighter 09-08-2015 04:41 PM

The suddenness and finality of it is sad and painful. Yet the gift is that it did come on suddenly and you did not have him suffering for weeks or longer. Your son's memories, and yours, will be of a healthy happy dog that was taken too soon. Feeling for you......

ProfessorM 09-08-2015 06:44 PM

Sorry for your loss Spud.

O.D. Mike 09-08-2015 06:56 PM

Sorry for your loss Spud.....

Guppy 09-08-2015 07:02 PM

Tough thing to go through, sorry for your sadness.

Dick Durand 09-08-2015 07:05 PM

Terribly sorry. Never easy losing a pet, especially so suddenly.

Swimmer 09-09-2015 11:30 AM

So sad, get wet eyes everytime I read of this. My sympathies to your family. Finish this and give Bella another hug.

tysdad115 09-09-2015 04:01 PM

I've been there Spud, sorry for your loss.

WESTPORTMAFIA 09-09-2015 05:19 PM

Sorry to hear Spud. That blows

spence 09-09-2015 05:46 PM

Yea that does suck. Our yellow turned 15 in June. Every day I ask her if it's time, she usually just tells me to eff off and help lift her up.

jredfly 09-09-2015 07:00 PM

Sorry for your loss. We lost our 12 year old English Pointer Becky this past winter.

I feel your pain, my entire family took it pretty hard.

I think John gave some good advice but take your time and hang in there.

massbassman 09-09-2015 07:42 PM

Sorry to hear Spud, I cant stand the thoughts of losing our old girl one of these days. Sympathy to you and your family.

Hookedagain 09-10-2015 07:55 PM

Thanks to everyone for posting your condolences, I let Jake read all the responses. He was pleased to see them, and how some people we never met had nice things to say. Thanks again.

chefchris401 09-11-2015 01:36 PM

sorry to hear man, tough loss for you and family.

i cant even imagine, i never had a dog as a kid so never experienced it, but we have 3 dogs now, 11 years old, 9 years old and 2 years old.

it sickens me to even think about when the day comes.

piemma 09-13-2015 08:12 AM

Spud, so sorry to hear the news. We went through the same deal with our Mini Schnauzer this past March. Hardest thing you will ever do,

Our condolences.

Clammer 09-17-2015 07:49 PM

so sorry for your loss/ the pain can,t be put in words .

I lost my two great dogs within a relative short time of the passing of my wife .

I still feel the void by the loss of all three ..............I know I,ll never have a another wife .......But what johnR said is much easier said than done ........... I want one or two , but its been years & I dread the thought of more pain .

I guess its no balls .......but it is what it is >><>

Its not like grandkids .play & spoil them & leave ><><:alien:

bart 09-18-2015 03:07 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's the absolute worst.

I had to put my last golden retriever down and that was terrible. First time I've ever seen my father cry. I took that one really hard, too.

I went out not too, too long after and found a rescue on Petfinder who has been the absolute best dog I could ever ask for. I try not to think about the day that decision might have to be made again...I start to tear up immediately.

Dogs truly are man's best friend. It's tough losing one...

Hookedagain 09-18-2015 04:04 PM

Thanks again guys, it has been tough on my son (and me too) but its getting easier. Its very empty, not seeing him in all the usual spots he laid. I miss the greeting at the door when I get home from work and the constant nudging to be pet. He was a good dog, truly mans best friend!