Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Sports Talk - Title Town (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Curt Schilling and Cooperstown (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=50048)

EarnedStripes44 06-24-2008 08:47 AM

Curt Schilling and Cooperstown

One of the best post season pitchers, I think we can agree on that. But is he Hall of Fame worthy? Just curious what some of you think, the topic has been buzzing on sportscenter.

Slipknot 06-24-2008 08:57 AM

He's got one thing going for him, championship rings with different teams.

Not sure if he'll get in because he wasn't the dominate pitcher of his era but he certainly had an impact with the Sox, he should be in the Red Sox hall of fame for his guts and determination.

Pedro should get in, on another note

fishbones 06-24-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 599980)
He's got one thing going for him, championship rings with different teams.

Not sure if he'll get in because he wasn't the dominate pitcher of his era but he certainly had an impact with the Sox, he should be in the Red Sox hall of fame for his guts and determination.

Pedro should get in, on another note

I agree 100%. If Schilling had put forth the effort early in his career that he did in the later stages, he would be HOF for sure. When he came up as a youngster, he was stubborn and didn't listen to anyone. That reflected on his performance and his stats. If you compare him to the other "great" pitchers of his era, he falls a little short of HOF qualifications. You have to compare him to guys like Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, R. Johnson, and Pedro. He falls short when compared to them. He compares more to a guy like Mussina, who was consistently very good, but not great for an extended period. Just my 2 cents.

EarnedStripes44 06-24-2008 11:50 AM

very true..he blossomed after 30. His 3,000 strike outs will help his chances. But there are many other pitchers of the last 20 years who are in line before Big Schill. He will be on the ballot for several years, if he gets in.

Definitely a tough call.

Mike P 06-24-2008 03:34 PM

216 career wins, 3.46 career ERA, most of his career in the NL where ERAs tend to run lower due to no DH. Named to 6 AS games, only played in 3. 3000 strikeouts and some good post season numbers aside, those aren't HOF numbers. And no Cy Youngs.

What also hurts is that on his better teams, he was the #2 starter behind Johnson in Arizona, and Pedro/Beckett in Boston.

Uphill fight and I don't know what kind of support he'll get from voters outside of New England and Phoenix. I could be wrong, but I don't think they think very highly of him in Philly :confused:

Raider Ronnie 06-24-2008 04:14 PM

NO !

Saltheart 06-24-2008 11:50 PM

The stats and his career may be borderline HOF but The World Series Bloody Sock gets him in.

Mike P 06-25-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltheart (Post 600191)
The stats and his career may be borderline HOF but The World Series Bloody Sock gets him in.

The only guy I know of who made it in off one single WS event was Bill Mazerowski--and it took the Veterans' Committee to enshrine him. He was a good glove shortstop with a weak bat, along the lines of Mark Belanger, but he won Game 7 of the 1960 WS for the Pirates with a walk-off home run.

Dan Larsen's perfect game in the WS didn't get him in.

Raider Ronnie 06-25-2008 06:37 PM

The guy who sold Curt his house in Medfield Ma. has about the same chance of getting into the NFL hall of fame !
:jester:

Saltheart 06-25-2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 600284)
The only guy I know of who made it in off one single WS event was Bill Mazerowski--and it took the Veterans' Committee to enshrine him. He was a good glove shortstop with a weak bat, along the lines of Mark Belanger, but he won Game 7 of the 1960 WS for the Pirates with a walk-off home run.

Dan Larsen's perfect game in the WS didn't get him in.

I think if all he ever did was the bloody sock routine , it might not do it but that on top of a HOF borderline carreer performance puts him over the top. I also think with so many players of that age group being tainted by the steroid scandle , it ups his chances some.

ThomCat 06-26-2008 09:47 AM

Hell of a pitcher, a big game pitcher, but I don't see it. Not that it would make a difference but he talks too much. :btu: :cheers2: