Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Need help with a bubbling deck (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=82841)

Steve K 07-02-2013 01:04 PM

Need help with a bubbling deck

Hello,

A few years back I sanded and then painted a peeling deck with latex paint. It peeled off after a year. I thought that it was due to having been previously covered with an oil based stain which I found out after painting the deck. Last week I applied Behr stain remover and sanded the deck. I next used a Behr cleaner to neutralize the stain remover. I washed the deck with a brush and let it dry for a day. I applied a solid water based stain. Two days later, it started raining and the stain started to bubble with a brownish liquid coming out. Any ideas what the brown liquid is and what should I have done differently? I need help.

Thanks,
Steve

Jackbass 07-02-2013 01:19 PM

What type of wood?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jackbass 07-02-2013 01:21 PM

The brown liquid could be natural oil could be oil from the original paint/stain. If the decking is something other than PT it could be a number of things. If it is PT it could be a number of things as well.

Guppy 07-02-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve K (Post 1004928)
Hello,
and what should I have done differently? I need help.

Thanks,
Steve

Hired a painter? :devil2:

That's a tough one,,,, without seeing it I'd be incline to think a 3000 PSI power wash and possibly another sanding. If you could get thru the top layer of decking that has been UV ed to death over the years you might have a chance of applying a product that will protect it. Most wood decks require a wash and a coat of UV blocker each year around these parts... or let er go until the fish are gone,,,,

Steve K 07-02-2013 02:59 PM

It is PT. It is small deck and hiring a painter to paint it would have been embarrassing. The deck is on BI and it takes a serious beating from the elements. Thanks for all responses.

Steve

Jackbass 07-02-2013 03:48 PM

That's what I would do Power wash with a stripping head let dry sand and then coat with a good oil based stain/sealer

thefishingfreak 07-02-2013 05:09 PM

It's pt latex won't stick (obviously) pressure wash and oil base primer as suggested.
If its new wood let it season a year in the sun first

nightfighter 07-02-2013 07:21 PM

Steve, look in here;
Stain MSDS | Paint MSDS | MSDS for Paint | Wood Stain Information

I used to use Cabot's Australian Timber oil, but it is not the same since the Feds required the industry to lower VOCs. The Storm Stain was used by a client, and I used it here after seeing his results. They offer it in oil and water so read up. Also, go into a quality paint store. They know stuff. And you just can't get that from HD

Slingah 07-02-2013 08:09 PM

ARBORCOAT Waterborne Stain
I'd try this system. I used it on my deck with new PT that was still wet. Lasted 2 seasons with no peeling. Just recoated this year 1 coat. I did not use the clear coat. 2 coats semi solid 1rst time.

trevier 07-02-2013 08:36 PM

replace it with synthetic decking,

Raven 07-03-2013 06:22 AM

Pt deck boards are pressure injected with the preservative chemicals

so you can "stain it" but not really "seal it"
takes years for it to technically dry.

Steve K 07-08-2013 09:13 AM

Thanks everyone. This will be a fall project.