Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   DIY - Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Azek Deck & Railing Job (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=91562)

Rmarsh 12-06-2016 06:30 AM

Azek Deck & Railing Job

Customer wanted to use black balusters with the grey posts and railings for contrast. Bumped out section is for the gas grill. The decking in the foreground, under the roofed over section, is tongue and groove, to keep it dry below, where there is a slider that exits the walkout basement. Just finishing up this house....kitchen and stairs are done. We have a couple of houses over 5,000 sq. ft. coming up.

Slipknot 12-06-2016 09:40 AM

Nice and clean :btu:

JohnR 12-06-2016 09:42 AM

Yep.

Raven 12-06-2016 05:09 PM

Classy JoB there- Nice Work!

Guppy 12-06-2016 05:12 PM

Rich folk color scheme ,,,, :-)
I like it

Rmarsh 12-08-2016 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1113370)
Rich folk color scheme ,,,, :-)
I like it

Rich folk are out there no doubt, I have no idea where or how they come into so much money. Keeps me employed I suppose.

Color scheme inside is similar grey walls and cabinets, with white counters. Pot filler above the $5,900 Wolf stove had to be lowered, then ceramic tile will be installed between countertops and upper cabinets.

Rmarsh 12-08-2016 06:26 AM

Wolf stove.....pricey but I like it.

Guppy 12-08-2016 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
White tops! Nice for a change.... I wonder how many years before folks start pulling granit out for something new... :huh:

My son and his guys replaced a local church spire yesterday.....
Attachment 63627

Rmarsh 12-08-2016 10:12 AM

Wow.!!...whoever got the job of unhooking that from the crane hook....has some brass balls.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy 12-08-2016 04:52 PM

The whole process was filmed via a drone,,, I'll link it here when it's up.... He said he lost his breath a couple times when the lift swayed....
I get shook up just cleaning the gutters now! LOL. :spin:

BEETLE 12-08-2016 05:16 PM

what is that line between the stove and hood. Looks like an afterthought.. Fire suppression ???

nightfighter 12-08-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEETLE (Post 1113456)
what is that line between the stove and hood. Looks like an afterthought.. Fire suppression ???

That would be the water line for the pot filler..... so they don't have to carry a pot with water from the sink to the stove..... I have done them in five kitchens and only one of those clients can really cook! She is actually pretty well known in culinary circles from what I hear. The rest of them usually just make reservations.....

Rmarsh 12-09-2016 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1113450)
The whole process was filmed via a drone,,, I'll link it here when it's up.... He said he lost his breath a couple times when the lift swayed....
I get shook up just cleaning the gutters now! LOL. :spin:

It's hard to overcome the fear of such heights, it is not irrational, you fall you die, or you are very seriously hurt.

Framing condos on the cape, while i was still in my teens, my redneck boss noticed that I was pretty agile and not too afraid of heights so he assigned me the job of unhooking the roof trusses from the crane hook while perched on the top of the previous truss. Guys started calling me spiderman. :hee:

A few years later I was injured in a staging collapse that fractured my hip and almost got me killed. After I healed I went right back to work doing the same job. No regrets but glad I made the transition over to being a finish carpenter.:cool:

Rmarsh 12-10-2016 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1113457)
That would be the water line for the pot filler..... so they don't have to carry a pot with water from the sink to the stove..... I have done them in five kitchens and only one of those clients can really cook! She is actually pretty well known in culinary circles from what I hear. The rest of them usually just make reservations.....

Pot fillers are getting more popular recently....seems like most plumbers aren't sure of the correct height...we give them specs but they don't read them. "Farmer Sinks" are another thing customers are choosing lately. You can see the pot filler faucet above the cooktop in this picture. They usually have two levers to prevent accidentally getting water on the cooktop.

Ross..I know you are very familiar with these. I quoted your post to answer Beetles question.:wave:

trevier 12-10-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1113510)
Pot fillers are getting more popular recently....seems like most plumbers aren't sure of the correct height...we give them specs but they don't read them. "Farmer Sinks" are another thing customers are choosing lately. You can see the pot filler faucet above the cooktop in this picture. They usually have two levers to prevent accidentally getting water on the cooktop.

Ross..I know you are very familiar with these. I quoted your post to answer Beetles question.:wave:

having all those outlets on the back wall makes me shake my head. I like the clean looks. Should have installed a electrical
strip underneath the cabinets.

Rmarsh 12-11-2016 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevier (Post 1113522)
having all those outlets on the back wall makes me shake my head. I like the clean looks. Should have installed a electrical
strip underneath the cabinets.

I like how you guys notice all the details.
When I started installing the cabinets and saw all the extra outlets I assumed that the customer had asked the electrician to install them.
They didn't!

I have nicknames for all the subcontractors....I call the electricians the "Keystone Cops"

Guppy 12-12-2016 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A pic from the drone
Attachment 63638

JohnR 12-13-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1113429)
White tops! Nice for a change.... I wonder how many years before folks start pulling granit out for something new... :huh:

My son and his guys replaced a local church spire yesterday.....
Attachment 63627

Levitating at 90 degrees - talent!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1113578)
A pic from the drone
Attachment 63638

Ohh - better.

trevier 12-13-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1113544)
I like how you guys notice all the details.
When I started installing the cabinets and saw all the extra outlets I assumed that the customer had asked the electrician to install them.
They didn't!

I have nicknames for all the subcontractors....I call the electricians the "Keystone Cops"

having done custom homes for years with my dad you learn a thing or two along the way. Swap out the single gang outlet and put in 2 dbl gang outlets.

Rmarsh 12-14-2016 06:50 AM

We are building a house on the Westport River.
In my wildest dreams, I would own the place and keep my boat right at the dock. The owner told me the floating dock was put in ten years ago. Five minutes to the mouth of the river.
It will be his summer home. Three car garage, five bathrooms..........
Right now we are doing the flat rubber roof under a second floor deck.
This job is moving at a very slow pace...might be here doing the finish in the spring. In which case I might be taking my boat to work:tooth:

Rmarsh 12-14-2016 06:53 AM

More pics.... the second floor deck above the dining alcove.

Guppy 12-14-2016 06:59 AM

No gutters....

trevier 12-14-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1113624)
No gutters....

can't do gutters when crown molding is applied.

Rmarsh 12-14-2016 12:04 PM

Right..no gutters...so no gutters to clean. Overhang is 24" to the drip edge...to keep water away from siding. Gutters collect a lot of leaves then water backs up and causes too many problems. Less maintenance this way
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rmarsh 12-17-2016 07:20 AM

It was pretty cold the last couple of days but we got the rubber roofing done. We used tapered roof insulation to pitch the water towards the deck openings and away from the walls. It comes in 4x4 sheets....some sheets taper from 3" to 2" others 2" to 1" and then 1" to 1/2". The half walls are going to get lowered and then a short railing system on top to code height with full height railings at the openings. We will be trying a, new to us, deck system on top of the rubber roof.
Last picture is the front elevation of this "summer home"... the room over the garage is "Huuge"

trevier 12-17-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1113749)
It was pretty cold the last couple of days but we got the rubber roofing done. We used tapered roof insulation to pitch the water towards the deck openings and away from the walls. It comes in 4x4 sheets....some sheets taper from 3" to 2" others 2" to 1" and then 1" to 1/2". The half walls are going to get lowered and then a short railing system on top to code height with full height railings at the openings. We will be trying a, new to us, deck system on top of the rubber roof.
Last picture is the front elevation of this "summer home"... the room over the garage is "Huuge"

surprised to tyvek on those walls. Ever since the zip wall system came out that's all I use.

Guppy 12-17-2016 04:51 PM

That tapered stuff is the balls,,, nice job,,, I luv rubber :-)

Rmarsh 12-18-2016 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1113785)
That tapered stuff is the balls,,, nice job,,, I luv rubber :-)

Thanks ...It is a good product...the sheets can be stacked and arranged in a way to get optimal drainage. The job we did required pitching in two directions towards the deck openings and away from the half walls.
Cant really tell from the pictures but there are subtle "valleys" where the different pitches meet to direct the water out. We sub these jobs out usually but we decided we could control the quality better by doing it ourselves.

Rmarsh 01-14-2017 06:56 AM

We have a couple of large houses underway...along with half a dozen smaller houses. This one will have five full bathrooms, three fireplaces, three car garage, five bedrooms, custom stairway and balcony, Kitchen cabinets are being custom built......$$$$$

The jobsite was a sea of mud this week after the snow melt and rain.
We go in after the framers are done to "fine tune" (fix) things.

Picture from the second floor balcony over looking the great room.

This will be my fourteenth year working for this company.....I have worked with the same three good guys, carpenters, the whole time.
No new hires since I started, which is unusual in construction.....most other places, workers come and go, like through a revolving door.

trevier 01-15-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmarsh (Post 1115210)
We have a couple of large houses underway...along with half a dozen smaller houses. This one will have five full bathrooms, three fireplaces, three car garage, five bedrooms, custom stairway and balcony, Kitchen cabinets are being custom built......$$$$$

The jobsite was a sea of mud this week after the snow melt and rain.
We go in after the framers are done to "fine tune" (fix) things.

Picture from the second floor balcony over looking the great room.

This will be my fourteenth year working for this company.....I have worked with the same three good guys, carpenters, the whole time.
No new hires since I started, which is unusual in construction.....most other places, workers come and go, like through a revolving door.

sounds like a good company to work for, especially having all that work.