Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   PLUG DRYER FINITO (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=80277)

Swimmer 12-05-2012 10:21 PM

PLUG DRYER FINITO

3 Attachment(s)
Here it is hanging on the wall, waiting for the first batch. Thanks to Rockfish's and the Professors suggestion I went to Lowe's and found a wide variety of square steel and aluminum. I bought some 5/16's round aluminum stock and squared it up on four sides so it fit the rotisserie motor just fine. Thanks for everyones suggestions and tips.

Peace and merry christmas

chefchris401 12-05-2012 11:07 PM

How are you going to attach the plugs to the spinner?

I see the hooks on the spinner.

Are you going to wire the plug first and use the thru wire?

Or some sort of screw eyes in the plug?

Interested in knowing how you guys rig the plug on the spinner
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockfish9 12-06-2012 07:20 AM

Looks great...time to get some product into that puppy!

Swimmer 12-06-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchris401 (Post 972910)
How are you going to attach the plugs to the spinner?

I see the hooks on the spinner.

Are you going to wire the plug first and use the thru wire?

Or some sort of screw eyes in the plug?

Interested in knowing how you guys rig the plug on the spinner
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Chris I have a couple of ideas. I would like to figure something that I would be able to use on every plug. I am going to look for a decent spring that I may use on both ends. We both know that 1/8 rod doesn't extend all the way through some plugs, like swimmers, whose suspension inside the dryer will be more difficult. Canal pencils, or needles should be easy, or rather easier. As you suggested screws on some plugs may be just the ticket to get the job done, as long as the screws eyes thread doesn't damage the entry hole it is screwed into.

Rockfish9 12-06-2012 11:12 AM

I've tried a dozen if I've tried one methed of hooking plugs to a spinner...and settled on pre rigging and having adjustable hooks and swivels on the far end.. I can put the exact tension I need and have 2" of adjustment.. each wheel holds 6( 8") plugs ( 2 per length,) 3 wheels...I've tried springs and hate them.. I use sections of jack chain varying from a single link to as many as i need to get the job done.. for darters or fresh water( small) plugs, I use a small length of rigging wire ( cutoffs from my tail wraps) and make elongated "s" shapes, pinching them tight around the eye... I epoxy while the plug is spinning ( rotissary style).. I find this much eaiser than putting playing cards in lip slots,fighting to get screw eyes out that are epoxied in etc... when I still have to rig the plug so doing it ahead is a no brainer for me... any epoxy that dribbles on the lip is eaisily cleaned off with a razor knife.. it saves alot of time and makes spinning alot eaiser... there are pictures here of my spinner(s) with plugs on them somewhere..

Muskyslayer96 12-06-2012 08:48 PM

Looks great...post some action shots of it loaded :-)
MS

benjiwhite 12-10-2012 05:23 PM

another plug spinner

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my plug spinner I just built. Got lots of good ideas from everyone here! Thanks

ProfessorM 12-10-2012 06:03 PM

Hey Mike O' hope all is well with you and your family. Just wanted to say I luv that big musky in that picture.:uhuh: Always think that when you post. That's it :). Happy holidays. Paul

Muskyslayer96 12-10-2012 08:48 PM

Thanks Paul....all is well here and with the family.

Oh, what a fish she was...caught on the last cast of the night after a long day of fishing.....and on a custom bucktail :)
Was released without harm to be another future fisherman's great memory :jump1:

Happy Holidays

MS

gone fishin 12-12-2012 12:13 AM

I use the following in the order listed. Right end - To hook in wood to a small hook to a swivel to a spring and to another hook. Install Plug or Plugs (I wire all plugs before epoxying) - to a piece of rigging wire with hooks on both ends to the left side. Sounds complicated but it allows me to swing the plugs away from the rotissory for epoxying and keep tension on them when they are spinning.

The spring and swivel is used as a complete section and I have enough so that I do not have to make them over and over. I have a bunch of different size hooks for completing the setup. I can coat and get spinning 24 plugs at a crack with this setup.

Hookset 12-12-2012 06:29 AM

That spinner looks great. I am still spinning by hand, manually turning over. It is a 2 beer job. A friend gave me a motor a year ago, that may be one of my next projects, looking at this thread gets me fired up.

ProfessorM 12-12-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gone fishin (Post 974238)
I use the following in the order listed. Right end - To hook in wood to a small hook to a swivel to a spring and to another hook. Install Plug or Plugs (I wire all plugs before epoxying) - to a piece of rigging wire with hooks on both ends to the left side. Sounds complicated but it allows me to swing the plugs away from the rotissory for epoxying and keep tension on them when they are spinning.

The spring and swivel is used as a complete section and I have enough so that I do not have to make them over and over. I have a bunch of different size hooks for completing the setup. I can coat and get spinning 24 plugs at a crack with this setup.

Hey Mr. Shaw good to see you in the forum. How have you been? Happy Holidays Don.

gone fishin 12-12-2012 10:57 PM

Hi Prof.. thanks for the hello. I had a real lousey time for a couple of years and am the best lurker in the forum. Getting around a bit better now. Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you and all !

ProfessorM 12-13-2012 10:15 AM

good to hear Don. I will look for you at the spring time MBBA Scusset get together. You are kind of a celebrity being that you have lowest member number. Kind of means your a little bit old:)

sorry for the hijack guys