Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Sports Talk - Title Town (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Cassel traded to Chiefs (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=55555)

fishaholic18 02-28-2009 01:27 PM

Cassel traded to Chiefs

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/28/chie...de-for-cassel/

ProfessorM 02-28-2009 01:29 PM

Man they are going to owe us a lot. I am happy for him I hope he does well, and I hope Tom is as good as he was.

rivsie11 02-28-2009 01:46 PM

Initial reports say all we got is 34 pick this year for Vrabel and Cassel

Bigcat 02-28-2009 02:53 PM

You got to be kidding, looks like the Pats got hosed?
Unless Kraftey is looking to save some bucks? I don't think Patriot Place is doing so well it was like a ghost town last week when I was there?

JohnR 02-28-2009 03:11 PM

1st round pick that doesn't cost much for a needle in a haystack player nobody respected until a few weeks into the system? Probably a round 3 or something too? I don't know about hosed... Wait for all the details I 'spose

striperman36 02-28-2009 04:52 PM

Unreal, what is the secret sauce here?
Brady healthy? His been Gizelle'd no way.
But I'd take it too if I had to, you know for the team and all

afterhours 02-28-2009 05:04 PM

i sure hope that we get more than a high #2 for both of them.....maybe expanding it by shipping a te to kc for tony g?????

fishaholic18 02-28-2009 05:29 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

JohnnyD 02-28-2009 05:37 PM

I'm willing to bet it was a cap issue. That Pats have been known for "losing out on the deal" by trading good (read: expensive) players for what some see as "just a draft pick." However, looking at the Patriots success in drafting quality players and then coaching them into becoming starts, I see this as an even trade.

I agree with the JohnR, Cassel was a relative unknown before this season. Hardly even played his last couple years in college. In my opinion, it would be difficult to demand a lot of value for him.

Cassel has a chit-ton of potential. But just like I say to my employees about potential clients, "potential doesn't pay the bills."

Also, the Pats like to leave cap room for early season acquisitions.

Backbeach Jake 02-28-2009 09:09 PM

I think that in this economy NFL management will take what they can get. Remember that their sheets and forecasts are those of the movers and shakers, they have a feel for what's coming later in the year and they're taking what they can get. Tommy had better be healed.....

BigFish 02-28-2009 10:42 PM

Cassel was a product of the system and with only 1 full year and a great bunch of players......he had a fantastic season for sure....but I see him toiling at best in KC! I wish him well though I do not expect to see a repeat of this past season.

Raven 03-01-2009 08:51 AM

matt Cassel

a moov- ah and a shake-ah ..........~ adios amigo...
:point:party on dude....

fishbones 03-01-2009 10:20 AM

The Pats will be fine. They would rather clear up cap space than have 2 guys making starting QB money. Keep in mind that Brady, Moss, Thomas and Seymour are all making big money against the cap. These moves allow them to go after a defensive back or LB either via free agency or trade on draft day.

Also, Am I the only one who thought Cassell should have been cut after the pre-season he had? When he was playing with scrubs, he stunk. He played very well when he had guys like Faulk, Welker and Moss to throw the ball to. He'll probably be pretty good in KC, but he won't be as good as he was this past year. And if Brady's not healthy to start the year, they can bring in a backup for a couple of games if neccessary. The Pats will be fine.

Sweetwater 03-02-2009 03:05 PM

I waited a while before weighing in on this because I didn't want to knee-jerk react to the deal. Let's put this in perspective. Cassel was basically "found money." A career backup in whom the Patriots had little financial investment initially. Then Brady goes down, Cassel takes the Pats to 11-5 and the ONLY way to get value out of Cassel (a free agent) was to franchise him at $14.7 million for one year and then he's an FA again. So I like the trade, it's 34th overall (can get good value there).

However, even now I think it's too quick to judge. By including Vrabel, the Pats just cleared $17+ million in cap room and they're going to spend it. So if the deal means they resign Wilfork, Seymour, etc. and can grab a significant free agent (Julius Peppers?), Patriots nation will once again be issuing currency with the motto "In Bill We Trust."

JohnnyD 03-02-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweetwater (Post 670083)
I waited a while before weighing in on this because I didn't want to knee-jerk react to the deal. Let's put this in perspective. Cassel was basically "found money." A career backup in whom the Patriots had little financial investment initially. Then Brady goes down, Cassel takes the Pats to 11-5 and the ONLY way to get value out of Cassel (a free agent) was to franchise him at $14.7 million for one year and then he's an FA again. So I like the trade, it's 34th overall (can get good value there).

However, even now I think it's too quick to judge. By including Vrabel, the Pats just cleared $17+ million in cap room and they're going to spend it. So if the deal means they resign Wilfork, Seymour, etc. and can grab a significant free agent (Julius Peppers?), Patriots nation will once again be issuing currency with the motto "In Bill We Trust."

Well said. My roommate and I had a similar discussion earlier that went pretty much exactly like this. While Billy B may have has some in game gaffs, I have agreed with just about every move, trade, acquisition the Pats of made. Head-to-head, I do not think there is another coach in the NFL that can come close to the skills and foresight he has shown when coaching a team. Consistency is key and he has consistently put out an incredible product - just sometimes the guys didn't show up to play.

It is of no surprise that Cassel was a complete unknown before this year and turned out to be a spectacular QB.