Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Movies, Classics to Less than Normal (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Scott Pilgrim vs The World (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=68016)

RIJIMMY 12-17-2010 10:37 AM

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

loved this flick, not for everyone. Sort of a comic book/video game/goofy non-violent tarantino flick.

fishbones 12-17-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 819216)
loved this flick, not for everyone. Sort of a comic book/video game/goofy non-violent tarantino flick.

That's pretty descriptive, but I can't tell if it's something I'd like. What movies would you compare it to, like "if you like ___________ , you'll like this flick".

Reason I'm asking is that I have it on reserve at the library.

RIJIMMY 12-17-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 819219)
That's pretty descriptive, but I can't tell if it's something I'd like. What movies would you compare it to, like "if you like ___________ , you'll like this flick".

Reason I'm asking is that I have it on reserve at the library.

good question, but I cant answer. Remember the first time you saw Pulp Fiction? It was like "wow, never saw anything like that before".
This is similar, I never saw a movie like this before. Its not violent or gory at all. Its kind of a 20 yr old gamer geek flick and very creative. Being over 40, I still enjoyed it. Some parts where pretty funny. Give it a shot. Hell, its from the library so its not like you're paying for it :rotf2:

fishbones 12-17-2010 12:15 PM

Good point about it not costing me anything. Looks like it's Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs again tonight. Maybe after the kid's in bed, I'll watch Super Troopers again. I caught part of it on HBO a couple of weeks ago and it made me remember how funny it was.

RIJIMMY 12-17-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 819236)
Good point about it not costing me anything. Looks like it's Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs again tonight. Maybe after the kid's in bed, I'll watch Super Troopers again. I caught part of it on HBO a couple of weeks ago and it made me remember how funny it was.

come on, there are some good NEW kid flicks out there

- Cats vsDogs Revenge of Kitty Galore - havent seen it yet, but came in from Netflix
- Sorcerers Apprentice - new Disney flick with Nicholas Cage, my kids dug it and I was remotely entertained
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians - we all liked it, might be a tiny bit scary if your kid gets freaked by creatures

And lets not forget all the great Holiday Favorites!
Frosty
Rudolph
Year without a Santa Claus
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
The Santa Clause

Look Ebenezer, Spend the $4 bucks and rent a new DVD tonight and give you and your kid a treat! :devil2:

RIJIMMY 12-17-2010 12:31 PM

Dispicable me is out now too.
And how can I forget "Elf" with Will Ferrell - the kids and I laugh out butts off everytime we watch that

fishbones 12-17-2010 12:38 PM

$4 bucks! That's an outrage. Money does't grow on trees at my house. I'm not some rich guy with a Van Staal who can just have movies sent to him on a whim. My son can get a $1 rental at the redbox or he can watch my old VHS tapes. I think he likes the Meatball movie because it has a spaceship in it. He likes the Peanuts Christmas special and he watched Phineas and Pherbs Christmas show last week and wants to watch it again. I can't get him into some of the real classic holiday specials, I think because of the weird animation. He also only will watch cartoon movies except for Raiders of the Lost Ark and all the Star Wars films.

The Dad Fisherman 12-17-2010 01:43 PM

Despicable me wasn't bad..I went with my daughter and we both enjoyed it....no Toy Story or Incredibles but funny none the less.

If you want a funny under the radar movie for kids pick up Baby's day out....I laughed my ass off during the whole zoo scene/Park Scene....3 stooges mentality...but I have that mentality :hee:

fishbones 12-17-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 819240)
Dispicable me is out now too.
And how can I forget "Elf" with Will Ferrell - the kids and I laugh out butts off everytime we watch that

He definitely wants to see Dispicable Me. I'll keep an eye out for that. I forgot about Elf. Maybe I can get him into that. The wife and I both like it, too.

RIJIMMY 12-17-2010 04:22 PM

Elfs a new Christmas classic for us. we watch it about 4 times a season.

The Dad Fisherman 12-17-2010 05:32 PM

"Does Santa Know you left the North Pole" :rotflmao:

BigFish 12-17-2010 05:45 PM

I think I might watch Avatar before this one???:jump1:

The Dad Fisherman 12-17-2010 08:36 PM

Larry....you've never seen Elf? That is a great flick.

4 food groups...Candy, Candy Canes, Candy Corn, and Syrup

fishbones 01-24-2011 11:25 PM

Finally watched Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World tonight. Got it from the library over a week ago and just got around to watching it. Instead of free, it's costing me $3 in overdue fines. Good flick, though. Just like RIJIMMY desribed it. Different than pretty much anything else, but very entertaining.

RIJIMMY 01-25-2011 09:42 AM

and the chick with the pink hair was hot?

fishbones 01-25-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 830765)
and the chick with the pink hair was hot?

Definitely. I've always had a thing for the chicks who color their hair to piss off their parents. I also thought Knives was hot, but I guess she was a little young for an old guy like me.

RIJIMMY 01-25-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 830779)
Definitely. I've always had a thing for the chicks who color their hair to piss off their parents. I also thought Knives was hot, but I guess she was a little young for an old guy like me.

I've never been attracted to Asian women.

fishbones 01-25-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 830787)
I've never been attracted to Asian women.

So, you're saying you like Asian men? I'm telling your wife.

RIJIMMY 01-25-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 830798)
So, you're saying you like Asian men? I'm telling your wife.

I guess thats why I've been asking her to cut her hair short....:love: