Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Vintage Lures (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   How to bid on epay ... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=36128)

Tagger 11-19-2006 07:44 AM

How to bid on epay ...

Everyone complains about how much plugs are going for ,but I see guys going at it (bidding) with days left .
1 . Item shows the number of bids ,, high number of bids on an item always attract everyones attention .
2. bidding wars days before an item ends is nuts. Never mind days, hours, how about bidding with minutes left so it can't get too mental.
If your going to be out of town, you have to put an early bid in .. but thats not whats happening for the most part its back and forth.
3. No cry babies in plug collecting . I know it hurts loosing .. lost plenty.. But thats water under the bridge. what urks you .. I miss anything . Please leave magna strike out of this .. thanks

Pete F. 11-19-2006 12:20 PM

I have had my best luck and a lower price than the max I would pay by sniping.
Just decide how much it is worth to you and snipe it. You get a last minute bid and don't drive yourself nuts watching it go up.
But the best deals are always the ones that are listed badly...

capesams 11-19-2006 12:30 PM

sniping...shouldn't be allowed..

Tagger 11-19-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capesams (Post 434774)

Get real .. Its the way to go ... Once in a while you get lucky but most the time collectors won't let it go cheap .

MAC 11-19-2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capesams (Post 434774)

I have used that plenty and it works great. It would be hard to prove though as some guys just physically wait until the last 10 seconds and hit the button............Right Ed? :hidin:

Tagger 11-19-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC (Post 434782)
I have used that plenty and it works great. It would be hard to prove though as some guys just physically wait until the last 10 seconds and hit the button............Right Ed? :hidin:

Do I know You ? Yea ,,, You sniped my Pikie... Lesson learned .

capesams 11-19-2006 02:46 PM

maybe magna strikes need a second look at..hmm! won't bid more than 40 you say?

Tagger 11-19-2006 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capesams (Post 434816)
maybe magna strikes need a second look at..hmm! won't bid more than 40 you say?

I lied so people would think that and I'd snipe them .. After all the A 40's I layed off of cause your name was there...

capesams 11-19-2006 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagger (Post 434818)
I lied so people would think that and I'd snipe them .. After all the A 40's I layed off of cause your name was there...

there ya go,,,feel free.

MAC 11-19-2006 08:57 PM

snipin works great. I just got a new 7 mega pixel camera for 100 bux cheaper than I could find it anywhere. It will be obsolete in 6 months but what the hey. :hf1:

vineyardblues 11-19-2006 09:13 PM

It's not the snipe going on you should think about ,it's all the shill bidding
Just think how small the world realy is.
VB

Mr. Sandman 11-20-2006 07:48 PM

If there is something you really want I would use a snipeing service. I have done this once (can't recall the name of the outfit) but it really works. There computers are sync'ed with Ebays and will get your bid in the last fraction of a second. I did a free trial offer and it was amazing I think they got it in with in 2/10 of a second to go or something like that. There is no way you can beat that manually.
It is a hard core method but it weeds out all the guys behind the monitors re-binding in the last minute.
Of course you can still get outbid if your bid is low but your max bid will be the last one in there.
do some goggle research you can find several sites that offer this.

Swimmer 11-24-2006 12:29 PM

So sniping is

just bidding in at the last moment without bidding at any other time? Yes/No.

Mr. Sandman 11-24-2006 12:48 PM

Sniping is bidding in the last seconds and not giving the others enough time to rebid.

There is a minor advantage if you had bid early in the auction. Should there be a tie, the person who bid first would be the winner.

BigFish 11-24-2006 12:50 PM

I snipe! Its the way to go...otherwise you lose out!:btu:

Tagger 11-24-2006 12:59 PM

Snipe last moment... bidding before just drives prices up and up .. I swear sometimes its a personal ego thing .. win at all cost .. I'll be in my tree stand ,,,sniping

BigFish 11-24-2006 12:59 PM

See you there Ed!:rocketem:

Mr. Sandman 11-24-2006 03:48 PM

Originally they use to keep auctions open until the action stopped after the last auction for something like 15 min. This would allow others to always get their bid in. As a seller I liked it. You always got a great price, now it stops at a specific time no matter what. As a buyer I didn't care. Then then instituded this close at a specific time deal which has driven everyone to sniping at the last seconds. It does not get the best price for the seller as the most people hold back to the last minute and when the time is up there seems to always be someone who is willing to bid more.

Frankly IMO auctions are suppose to stay open until no one bids anymore, not until a given time.

Surfsters 11-28-2006 07:03 AM

Tagger........."welcome to the world of collecting" I do not care what you collect; lures, razors, dog collars, etc. There are collectors who are going to protect their investments.......80% of the early bids are just that;15% is shill bidding; 5% ebayers [ new collectors and some old ] not knowing any better......

~~~~~~~ knowledge is the key to collecting ~~~~~~~

The whole fishing tackle thing is just way out of hand and not just on ebay.......... Locally [ where I live ] people go to yard sales days before it is scheduled; at auctions, bid ten times what an item is worth; at the flea markets be there at sunrise and still try to beat five other collectors to tables [ this is not including the eBayers.

Yes collecting is fun!!!!! hahahahaha

Then you have all the people that think every item they own is a rare antique worth thousands.........

Its to late for me to stop I am addicted to it; been doing it since I was a kid. If I was a new guy just starting, I would really think long and hard about it...............

Well thats enough for now; just a few thoughts; don't want to ruin all the fun..........................................

jimmy z 12-30-2006 06:43 PM

Sniping.lol
Ya know the way this whole ebay thing is setup is a joke. Ebay doesn't care about the snipers,lol, make the sales. That's what matters. It is what it is. You snipe, you get sniped.
I've seen the plug bids as well, it's a joke. I can see some weirdo, sitting bug-eyed waiting for these auctions to end. It's crazy, is right.
:tooth:

zacs 12-30-2006 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfsters (Post 436929)
. Locally [ where I live ] people go to yard sales days before it is scheduled; ..

I AGREEE! I put an add in the paper that we were having a yardsale this past summer, and the add read "w/d, clothes, furniture, and some fishing tackle."

I had a few guys come the day before asking to see the stuff. I had 2 guys call (I guess they reverse lookup my phone?) and ask if they could come early, and I had one guy send me a letter asking if I could hold any "antique fishing tackle" for him, that he would buy it all.

CRAZY!!!

striperondafly 01-02-2007 09:08 AM

I bid, but I don't go nuts. Do more watching.

Most I ever paid was 50 dollars for a plug

usually wont pay more then 30

NIGHT STRIKES 01-02-2007 01:14 PM

There are one of two bidders that apparently "Money Is No Object"

I mean $150.00 for a Pichney or $85.00 for a BeachMaster Danny.

It really drives up the price when somebody throws that kind of $$$
around - Great For The Sellers - But Lousy For Someone Looking To Replace A Hard To Find Plug or Get Into The Collectors Market...

striperondafly 01-02-2007 01:18 PM

I hear ya NS - nice for them and the seller - sucks for the rest of us.

$85 for a Beachmaster Danny - insane!!!!

NIGHT STRIKES 01-02-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperondafly (Post 446869)
I hear ya NS - nice for them and the seller - sucks for the rest of us.

$85 for a Beachmaster Danny - insane!!!!

Bri,
And The Same Dude Paid $86.00 + Shipping For A BeachMaster Yellow Atom Jr.. CRAZY !!!!

striperondafly 01-02-2007 02:36 PM

man he must be wealthy or stupid or both :tooth: