Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Beer & Beverage (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Your Top IPA's? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=71603)

luds 06-11-2011 03:10 PM

Your Top IPA's?

IPA is defnitely my favorite style of beer. Here are my current top 10. I'm sure there are a few great ones I'm missing and need to try. What do you guys like?
  1. Victory Hop Devil
  2. Dogfish 60 Minute
  3. Mayflower IPA
  4. Rogue Yellow Snow
  5. Goose Island
  6. Southern Tier Unearthly
  7. Ipswich
  8. Stone
  9. Berkshire Lost Sailor- For some reason I've found this one to be twice as good on tap. Maybe it's the freshness but it was a little too malty last time I had it bottled. Can't argue witht the growlers though!
Harpoon get's an honorable mention as a less expensive option and great in a frozen glass on a hot summer day.

jon2465 06-11-2011 04:13 PM

couple off the top of my head in no order:

ithaca flower power
sierra nevada
six point bengali tiger
ballast point sculpin
founders centennial
lagunitas hop stupid
sierra torpedo

JohnnySaxatilis 06-11-2011 06:43 PM

oh GAHD dogfishhead 60 everyday of the week hands down, get some

luds 06-11-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySaxatilis (Post 864967)
oh GAHD dogfishhead 60 everyday of the week hands down, get some

You need to get out a little more. I agree its good but there are some other fine ipa's out there.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

spence 06-11-2011 07:47 PM

Hop Devil is my fave for an American IPA.

JohnnySaxatilis 06-11-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds (Post 864976)
You need to get out a little more. I agree its good but there are some other fine ipa's out there.

I've heard that from others and ive tried many my friend, to each his own...

to my specific palate, dogfish head 60 minute has the perfect balance.

If you want another really good one just for varieties sake: Stone IPA, (edit) oh you got that one on ur list!

Strike_King 06-12-2011 05:28 AM

In no order of preference:
Ballast Point Sculpin
Sixpoint Bengali Tiger
Great Divide Titan
Bear Republic Racer 5 and Hop Rod
Lagunitas IPA
Ithaca Flower Power
Green Flash West Coast IPA

luds 06-12-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySaxatilis (Post 864997)
I've heard that from others and ive tried many my friend, to each his own...

to my specific palate, dogfish head 60 minute has the perfect balance.

If you want another really good one just for varieties sake: Stone IPA, (edit) oh you got that one on ur list!

Yeah, you're right that dogfish is damn good. :)

luds 06-12-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 864978)
Hop Devil is my fave for an American IPA.

I tried a Stone IPA yesterday that had some Belgian flair and characteristics in it yesterday. It's supposed to be a blend of IPA and a belgian beer. You might want to give that a try.

You got some recommendations for non american IPA's? Did know they existed really. I guess they should since the beer style didn't originate in the US but I don't see them.

luds 06-12-2011 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strike_King (Post 865006)
In no order of preference:
Ballast Point Sculpin
Sixpoint Bengali Tiger
Great Divide Titan
Bear Republic Racer 5 and Hop Rod
Lagunitas IPA
Ithaca Flower Power
Green Flash West Coast IPA

I have had that Bear Republic and agree it was good. I'm going to have to give this Sixpoint Bengali Tiger a go since it has a couple fans here.

The Dad Fisherman 06-12-2011 07:37 AM

I tried the Ipswich Ale 20th Anniversary IPA last night....very good IPA.....real full body and loaded w/ hoppy Goodness :drool:

Big Fan of the Stone Brewery Ruination IPA......give that a try if you can

spence 06-12-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds (Post 865011)
I tried a Stone IPA yesterday that had some Belgian flair and characteristics in it yesterday. It's supposed to be a blend of IPA and a belgian beer. You might want to give that a try.

I've never had a Belgian IPA that I liked...they just always seem wrong.

Quote:

You got some recommendations for non american IPA's? Did know they existed really. I guess they should since the beer style didn't originate in the US but I don't see them.
Well, the "American" tag usually just denotes a slightly kicked up IPA. For a classic English IPA I'd go with Sam Smiths or perhaps Fullers.

Here's a list of what Beeradvocate considers to be English variants, although most of these people would just regular IPA. The imports are much softer on the pallet.

English India Pale Ale (IPA) - BeerAdvocate

-spence

rphud 06-12-2011 08:25 AM

All good, and IPA's are definitely a personal preference thing (for the hoppy goodness). I would add Blind Pig up near the top of the list, and others would put it way at the top. Harpoon Leviathon IPA is great when you can get your hands on 'em. I tend to prefer the 90 minute to the 60's, but not every day. Third Rail IPA just for the name alone.

Strike_King 06-12-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds (Post 865013)
I have had that Bear Republic and agree it was good. I'm going to have to give this Sixpoint Bengali Tiger a go since it has a couple fans here.

Yeah,that Bear Republic is really nice. Sixpoint just came into the Boston area a couple of weeks ago. Worth a try IMO.

jon2465 06-12-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds (Post 865013)

it's very good,just like any hop driven beer the fresher the better

flyvice11787 06-12-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon2465 (Post 865115)
it's very good,just like any hop driven beer the fresher the better

You missed out last month. Croxley's did a cask event and everything was an IPA. Good stuff :drool:.

Clogston29 07-11-2011 02:31 PM

On vacation in maine drinking Baxter brewing co stowaway ipa in a can - pretty damn good. Is recommend it.

Clogston29 07-11-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds (Post 865011)

Bass is obvious suggestion but you already know that. Ipa was developed in Britain when they colonized India. More hops + more alcohol preserved it for the long transport to India by sea for the troops.

If I remember ill bring you some of the Baxter on Wednesday.

Clogston29 07-11-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clogston29 (Post 871103)
On vacation in maine drinking Baxter brewing co stowaway ipa in a can - pretty damn good. I recommend it.

stinkyink 07-28-2011 01:48 PM

Not a big IPA fan but last last while out with the lady I asked her to grab me a beer as I was in a good game of pool and she came back with a IPA called ACME. Gotta say best IPA ive ever tasted. Pretty sure it was a India pale ale from California. If you come across it give it a try!

bart 07-30-2011 06:44 AM

I'm also not a big fan of IPA's but if I had to choose one it would be the dogfish head....

MrHunters 08-11-2011 01:23 PM

Victory Hopdevil hands down.

On a side note the victory mixed 12 pack is awesome.

Golden Monkey 9.5% <-------That's a 20 proof beer!

luds 08-11-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHunters (Post 879129)
Victory Hopdevil hands down.

On a side note the victory mixed 12 pack is awesome.

Golden Monkey 9.5% <-------That's a 20 proof beer!

Yeah, I just had their Imperial Stout recently. It was very good and I'm not a big fan of that style. I look for the mix pack.

Canalratt1 08-13-2011 02:50 PM

I either like them alot or hate them. Dogfish head and Victory are my favorites. harpoon on draft is great. Just yesterday tried a Otter Creek Black IPA and it was great!

JohnnySaxatilis 08-13-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canalratt1 (Post 879599)
I either like them alot or hate them. Dogfish head and Victory are my favorites. harpoon on draft is great. Just yesterday tried a Otter Creek Black IPA and it was great!

I like ya moves rat, guna look or that oc black ipa. im suprised how much I like sierra nevada every time I drink it, especially on tap, so rediculously hoppy and delicious

Clogston29 08-25-2011 07:31 PM

Back in black black ipa is good. Not great but good and a bit different.

zimmy 09-04-2011 10:05 AM

good lists
some to add
southern tier ipa
russian river blind pig

Clogston29 09-16-2011 08:25 PM

Anyone ever had or seen dogfish head 75 minute? Probably a limited edition. Sounds perfect but I've never seen it.

flyvice11787 09-17-2011 06:07 AM

One of the places I frequent has a keg of this year's DFH 120 in the basement. It's killing me knowing that it's there, but not knowing when they plan to tap it :mad:.

rphud 10-02-2011 09:04 AM

another, Dogfish Head Squall IPA (90 minute).