Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Fly head cement (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=98628)

piemma 01-29-2023 09:02 AM

Fly head cement

Not about plugs but tail hooks. I have been finishing my heads with Waspi Gloss Coat Head Cement,

On the advice of someone here I bought a kid of UV Glue. I have been applying the UV Glue over the Gloss head cement after the Gloss is dry. The UV Glue finish is great except for one problem. After I use the UV light on it and it dries, it tacky.

Has anyone else had this problem?

pbadad 01-29-2023 09:25 AM

Never used UV. Heard it used on lure finish. I use for teasers and flags Flexcoat hi build. Coat it and spin it. Takes about 6 hrs. A quicker method is 15 min rod adhesive epoxy. Sets up within 30min. Let dry. I thin a little w/isopropyl alcohol to make it flow around the thread wrap.
BTW the hook teasers look real nice.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma 01-29-2023 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbadad (Post 1238344)
Never used UV. Heard it used on lure finish. I use for teasers and flags Flexcoat hi build. Coat it and spin it. Takes about 6 hrs. A quicker method is 15 min rod adhesive epoxy. Sets up within 30min. Let dry. I thin a little w/isopropyl alcohol to make it flow around the thread wrap.
BTW the hook teasers look real nice.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Thank you for the compliment and for the advice. I think I thought it would dry glass hard immediately.

Higgie 01-29-2023 05:29 PM

I have found with UV glue the cheap stuff is well….cheap but there is different densities. I found my
Local Napa Carrie’s a UV glue kit that for the price works great and dries rock hard. I’ll try to find the name

tlapinski 01-30-2023 07:50 AM

Sounds like an incomplete cure from insufficient UV light. I use Bone Dry by Solarez, no need for any other coating on the threads beforehand. When my UV light batteries start to decrease power this happens. To fix it you can either use a stronger light/new batteries, or place the tacky threads in a window sill in full sunlight to finish them off.

One item of note about UV cure glue, some people have an extreme allergic reaction to the fumes and it makes their face puff up and get all red. It's actually pretty bad for those who it bothers.

piemma 01-30-2023 11:30 AM

Thanks guys. I'm gonna buy a new light. In the mean time, I'm putting a dozen at a time in the sun.

afterhours 01-30-2023 07:08 PM

Solarez makes a tack free uv resin that works.

piemma 02-01-2023 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterhours (Post 1238431)
Solarez makes a tack free uv resin that works.

Thank you sir!