Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Rod Finishing (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=95840)

Got Stripers 11-24-2019 10:06 AM

Rod Finishing

Sold all my rod building supplies years back, since my new digs has no basement, no shop and no area I could even attempt to set things up. Now of course I have a couple rods in need of refinishing and one that needs a guide or two. Anyone on the south shore able to help, I'd rather pay a member here before I pay Red Top or some other shop.

JohnR 11-24-2019 10:27 AM

Probably a quarter of the people building rods today ; )

Gawd that fun having time, before kids

Got Stripers 11-24-2019 10:40 AM

I hate to do it, especially when I had all the supplies needed, but if I can't get someone close to help with a couple refinish jobs; I might just hit Mud Hole or someplace to get just the basics. I've got some really nice butt wraps on a couple I'd like to hit with some finish, but a lot of my custom wraps on rods have gone to my son. I'm fishing more commercially sold rods than custom at this point.

MakoMike 11-24-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1180233)
I hate to do it, especially when I had all the supplies needed, but if I can't get someone close to help with a couple refinish jobs; I might just hit Mud Hole or someplace to get just the basics. I've got some really nice butt wraps on a couple I'd like to hit with some finish, but a lot of my custom wraps on rods have gone to my son. I'm fishing more commercially sold rods than custom at this point.

I've got a finishing turner if you need to borrow it.

piemma 11-24-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1180228)
Sold all my rod building supplies years back, since my new digs has no basement, no shop and no area I could even attempt to set things up. Now of course I have a couple rods in need of refinishing and one that needs a guide or two. Anyone on the south shore able to help, I'd rather pay a member here before I pay Red Top or some other shop.

Chrisjoe13 does an awesome job on rods but he only build for himself. I have not seen him on here in a long time but I know he's still around. Might PM him.

Guppy 11-24-2019 04:38 PM

You’re welcome to borrow my power wrapper and stuff, will handle up to 11’

Got Stripers 11-25-2019 04:21 PM

Ray thanks again for the loner, people on this site are the best!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Got Stripers 12-02-2019 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Really happy to see one of my first butt wraps come back to life with a fresh finish, three rods down, three to go and again Ray can't thank you enough for the loaner.

beamie 12-02-2019 02:48 PM

That’s a nice looking closed wrap

What did You use for brand finish. I use aftcote still lately.

Got Stripers 12-02-2019 03:23 PM

I picked up a flex coat kit at Red Top, just enough stuff to refinish all the guides and butt wraps on both my remaining salt and fresh water rods. Need to grab some brushes and I’m very familiar with the flex coat from my past work.

Guppy 12-02-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1180768)
Really happy to see one of my first butt wraps come back to life with a fresh finish, three rods down, three to go and again Ray can't thank you enough for the loaner.

It’s a good thing you didn’t let me near those,,,, awesome wrap,
I do a meat stick wrap... :rollem:

afterhours 12-04-2019 07:03 PM

Nice work!

Got Stripers 12-05-2019 03:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These rods my son did get lucky enough to grab from me, some have survived and others I wish I hadn't given to him as he wasn't too careful at times. Back in the day I really enjoyed getting to the final result, but I don't think I have the patience or eyesight to get that detailed closed wrap done.

Got Stripers 12-05-2019 03:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Couple more for your viewing pleasure.

redlite 12-05-2019 05:06 PM

They look good. This winter I need to find someone to re clear coat my original st croix Ben doerr surf rod which was my first semi custom rod once I moved on from ugly sticks back in 1996. Caught and sold a lot of big fish with it back in the cape days. The clear coat has all flaked off so it is bare graphite. My goal is to get it recoated so it can become my son's first rod before he inherits my arsenal of beloved 1205's

MakoMike 12-05-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlite (Post 1181207)
They look good. This winter I need to find someone to re clear coat my original st croix Ben doerr surf rod which was my first semi custom rod once I moved on from ugly sticks back in 1996. Caught and sold a lot of big fish with it back in the cape days. The clear coat has all flaked off so it is bare graphite. My goal is to get it recoated so it can become my son's first rod before he inherits my arsenal of beloved 1205's

You could do it all in one swoop if you get the right coating. I don't like flex coat, it yellows as it ages.

Got Stripers 12-07-2019 07:34 AM

Maybe I’ve been lucky but most of my rods are at least 25 years old and while some finish was in serious need of a recoat, I’ve never had any yellow on me.

saltfly 12-08-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Stripers (Post 1181196)
These rods my son did get lucky enough to grab from me, some have survived and others I wish I hadn't given to him as he wasn't too careful at times. Back in the day I really enjoyed getting to the final result, but I don't think I have the patience or eyesight to get that detailed closed wrap done.

Looks like they are from the Dale Clemens school of rod wrapping.:heybaby::kewl:Made a few trips to Allentown for those weekends back in the 80&early 90s.

Got Stripers 12-08-2019 09:27 AM

Yup that’s the book I used for those patterns.