Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Ground Zero (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=66025)

Fly Rod 09-08-2010 08:06 AM

Ground Zero

Obama not going to New York on 9/11, he is going to speak at the Pentagon. This will be the second time that he has skipped out of appearing at ground zero.

How say you?

buckman 09-08-2010 08:07 AM

The Muslim doesn't belong there:rotf2:

JohnnyD 09-08-2010 10:17 AM

I didn't know 9/11 was only about the people who died at Ground Zero. Very often people forget about those that died at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania.

The Dad Fisherman 09-08-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 793204)
I didn't know 9/11 was only about the people who died at Ground Zero. Very often people forget about those that died at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania.

:uhuh:

RIROCKHOUND 09-08-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 793204)

Yup.

Not to bring out the "Bush Didn't do it either' but a quick google search shows he visited ground-zero on 9/11 in 2002 and 2006. Where was your outrage at GWB in 2003? 2004? 2005? 2007? 2008?

If we search the political forum did you post then about Bush "Skipping Out"

RIJIMMY 09-08-2010 11:53 AM

im going to assume Bryan is right.

But.....from a purely politcial standpoint, I cant believe his advisers are not screaming at him to go to NYC. Given the controversy around the mosque, it would have scored him big polictical points to go there. This is a missed opportunity. Big O needs all the points he can get.

RIROCKHOUND 09-08-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 793242)

But.....from a purely politcial standpoint, I cant believe his advisers are not screaming at him to go to NYC. Given the controversy around the mosque, it would have scored him big polictical points to go there. This is a missed opportunity. Big O needs all the points he can get.

Or it backfires completely b/c everyone shows up to protest the mosque.
it is a 'pickle' this year on where to go.

I'm assuming the (2) sources I saw (news articles) are correct as well, but you know what they say about assumptions. it makes an ass out of u and spence

PaulS 09-08-2010 12:04 PM

I usually post here to point out the hypocrisy of the OP - this certainly seem to fit the bill if Bryan is right

Quote:

I'm sure his advisors told him to go to NY which is prob. the reason he decided not to go.

spence 09-08-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Given the controversy around the mosque, it would have scored him big polictical points to go there.

I think it would have fanned the flames of the controversy which helps nobody but the extreme Right wing and those hoping to capitalize on the political fallout...all of which is distracting.

-spence

JohnR 09-08-2010 01:13 PM

I think at SOME point he should be / have been there as it is the focal point of that day. Prime time probably to go was last year. 'Cept this time last year was shortly after the AF1 photo op over Manhattan, probably skipped NY then because of flak.

As someone that doesn't revolve around either party I gots to chuckle over the roles have reversed on "presidents". If it were only funny.

spence 09-08-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 793273)
As someone that doesn't revolve around either party I gots to chuckle over the roles have reversed on "presidents". If it were only funny.

I've thought the exact same thing.

-spence

RIJIMMY 09-08-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 793259)
I think it would have fanned the flames of the controversy which helps nobody but the extreme Right wing and those hoping to capitalize on the political fallout...all of which is distracting.

-spence

i think it would have shown respect to NYC, a mostly liberal city, that I'm sure holds some resentment to him for not going there the last 2 years and for his wishy-washy view on the mosque and lets not forget his constant banter of "evil" Wall St, which is in NYC and which lost a TON of people on 9/11.

JohnnyD 09-08-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 793280)
i think it would have shown respect to NYC, a mostly liberal city, that I'm sure holds some resentment to him for not going there the last 2 years and for his wishy-washy view on the mosque and lets not forget his constant banter of "evil" Wall St, which is in NYC and which lost a TON of people on 9/11.

For a state that has voted for a Democratic President the last 20 years and has (I believe) only 1 Republican Representative in the House, there isn't much to politically gain by going to NYC - only a whole lot to lose with having to directly address the Mosque situation.

There's no precedent for that visit to occur, thus the expectation isn't there. I doubt anyone on the Left holds any resentment because he has not gone to Ground Zero the last 2 years, while those on the Right will try to spin it to use as one more bullet for smearing - hence why this post even exists.

RIJIMMY 09-08-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 793287)
For a state that has voted for a Democratic President the last 20 years and has (I believe) only 1 Republican Representative in the House, there isn't much to politically gain by going to NYC - only a whole lot to lose with having to directly address the Mosque situation.

There's no precedent for that visit to occur, thus the expectation isn't there. I doubt anyone on the Left holds any resentment because he has not gone to Ground Zero the last 2 years, while those on the Right will try to spin it to use as one more bullet for smearing - hence why this post even exists.

I disagree.

RIROCKHOUND 09-08-2010 01:54 PM

Can we get back to the original point; that is the hypocrisy of the right making a deal out of this? If BHO follows GWB's lead, he'll be there next year for the 10th.

RIJIMMY 09-08-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 793293)
Can we get back to the original point; that is the hypocrisy of the right making a deal out of this? If BHO follows GWB's lead, he'll be there next year for the 10th.

Is the right making a deal out of this or just Fly Rod?

just went to fox news and newsmax, nada.

RIROCKHOUND 09-08-2010 02:20 PM

I didn't want to call him out after the burn baby burn post. but there is a FN article on his visit to the Pentagon. the comments this morning were similar to FlyRod, I haven't looked since 0600 though

JohnnyD 09-08-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 793290)
I disagree.

With what exactly? The way the state has voted the last 20 years, the number of Dem Reps they have or that he has more to lose politically by going there than there is to gain?

spence 09-08-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 793280)

I don't think New Yorkers are resentful at all of Obama not showing up. The City has a track record of strong leadership the past decade, they're fine on their own. Besides, they'd probably rather not have the extra traffic.

He should make the trip once during his term, or terms if the GOP can't get their act together.

-spence

buckman 09-08-2010 05:06 PM

I think most people at this point in Obama's presidency, could give a damn if he goes.

I find it amusing that Brian googled to see if Bush went. It amazes me that the left sets all standards by what Bush did or didn't do.

Fly Rod 09-08-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 793296)
Is the right making a deal out of this or just Fly Rod?

just went to fox news and newsmax, nada.

No big deal to me. Only blogged what I heard on the news early, early today. They that are making a big deal out of it are those that have responded more then once. And if you notice it is the same people that repeat, repeat, repeat. People must be bored.

I do not support either party. Just an independant.

Like to stay and chat, but I have a life, need to go out. Bye! :)

JohnnyD 09-08-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 793365)
I find it amusing that Brian googled to see if Bush went. It amazes me that the left sets all standards by what Bush did or didn't do.

Or he was searching to see if there is any precedent... which there is not.

I'd be more apt to accept people's criticisms if the President before Obama (regardless of who he was) always gave a speech at Ground Zero.

Like I said, NYC isn't the only place where people died.

spence 09-08-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 793365)

Considering that President Bush is the only POTUS other than Obama to lead the nation after 9/11 I see your point.

It makes no sense what so ever.

-spence

RIROCKHOUND 09-08-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 793293)

Actually I made it quite clear I thought.
You can't get mad at THIS president for his 9/11 remembrance if the PREVIOUS president did the same thing, unless you were mad at the previous president.

buckman 09-08-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 793394)
Considering that President Bush is the only POTUS other than Obama to lead the nation after 9/11 I see your point.

It makes no sense what so ever.

-spence

I wasn't being case specific.

striperman36 09-08-2010 08:22 PM

I don't think he should go, he should go to the Pentagon and PA

JohnR 09-08-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 793276)
I've thought the exact same thing.

-spence

SPENCISM ALERT

(nyuk, nyuk - yes, second White Russian larger than the first)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 793326)
With what exactly? The way the state has voted the last 20 years, the number of Dem Reps they have or that he has more to lose politically by going there than there is to gain?

This shouldn't be about politics. This should be about honoring and remembering people that died on a day that is instead now used for political leverage and political debate. He burns dinosaur fuel vacationing all over the country, let him go to NY and the Pentagon on the same day.

buckman 09-09-2010 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 793438)
I don't think he should go, he should go to the Pentagon and PA

I think he's on vacation anyways.:rotf2:

spence 09-09-2010 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 793437)
I wasn't being case specific.

My post was sarcastic.

-spence

spence 09-09-2010 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 793454)
SPENCISM ALERT

(nyuk, nyuk - yes, second White Russian larger than the first)

I don't follow.

Quote:

This shouldn't be about politics.
I think the Internet has influenced a lot of this. With the rise of blogs and sites like Drudge, you have an uncontrolled stream of instant information often with little real integrity. Regardless, it can he highly influential and simply too tempting to not take advantage of by people on all sides.

And while both parties certainly do it, I've always thought that the Right was much more effective.

-spence