Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Sports Talk - Title Town (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Titles in your life (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=56931)

Dad 818 05-02-2009 05:17 AM

Titles in your life

Was just thinking the other day that my son has no idea the suffering that Boston sports fans have to endure. He is 7. He has been alive for 6 titles already.

01-Patriots
03-Patriots
04-Red Sox
04-Patriots
07-Red Sox
08-Celtics

I'm 39 and have been alive for 13 :shocked: And I don't remember 3 of them: 70 & 72 Bruins and 73 Celtics.

Mike P 05-02-2009 08:35 AM

I was around for the Celtics glory days under Red. I thought an NBA title was a birthright.

I suffered throught 3 consecutive NFL title game losses with the Giants (1961-1963) and then, as the banner towed over the Meadowlands read, "20 years of lousy football". But now I've seen three Super Bowl wins.

I remember the 2 Stanley Cups and how much the 1971 playoffs and a guy named Dryden sucked. The Bs set every offensive record you could think of in the regular season and came out flat for the first round of the playoffs. By all rights, the Bs should have had 5 Cups in a row. Then a bunch of guys jumped to the WHA and they left Westfall unprotected in the expansion draft, and he went to the Islanders.

I've also enjoyed two World Series titles---but not with the Sox ;)

MarshCappa 05-02-2009 08:59 AM

As a teenager in the 80's I loved watching the Celtics! Got pretty spoiled on them. I also was a huge Marvin Hagler fan. I loved watching him fight.

HookLine&Sinker 05-02-2009 09:11 AM

im 15, still waiting for that stanley cup! its been wayyyy to long of a wait ;)

i would also like to see a bcs championship in boston but that looks like it will never happen :( maybe if penn state won it, that would be close enough. :)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Dad 818 05-02-2009 09:53 AM

Oh and forgot this pearl from my son. We are walking through the mall last week and he is wearing his Papi jersey and Sox hat. This guy wearing a Yankees hat starts chatting with him about baseball while we are waiting in line to eat. "Son, why are you a Red Sox fan. Don't you know how many WS Titles the Yankees have won?"

My son tells him "None since I've been alive" Everyone in line just busts out laughing including the Yankee fan. He tells my son "You'll be a New England fan your whole life"

The Dad Fisherman 05-03-2009 10:09 AM

The night the Sox won in '04 my son jumps up and yells......"I've been Waiting 10 years for this"........he has no idea.....

striperman36 05-03-2009 10:42 AM

don't forget the terrible '86 loss to Chicago in Superbowl XX.

Sweat dome game 7 1984 against the lakers, I met all of the team that year after breakfast at the park plaza before they got in the MDC boats. pre-duck boat bays.
Danny Ainge is taller than me, I'm 6'4"

rwilhelm 05-05-2009 03:52 PM

Yes it is a great time to be a NE sports fan! I grew up watching the great Celtics vs. Lakers battles of the 80's. The 90's was a drought but this decade has been unbelievable!!!

Dad 818 05-06-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 686071)
The night the Sox won in '04 my son jumps up and yells......"I've been Waiting 10 years for this"........he has no idea.....

That's hysterical.

joebe 05-06-2009 09:25 AM

Titles

I have a 13 year old that has also had the luck of growing up in these glory days. I was listening to some of his friends talk the other day and was amazed at the level of complacency. If these fourtunes turn, and let's face it they probably will they will be crushed. Or they will just move on tp the next most instanly gratifying thing 9video game).