Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Recent Bust? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94205)

DZ 09-18-2018 01:34 PM

Recent Bust?

Anyone know this fisherman from Warren?

http://www.thenewportbuzz.com/fisher...ch-limit/16852

redlite 09-18-2018 01:41 PM

and I bet Those fish weren't destined for mass......another slap on the wrist I'm sure
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JLH 09-18-2018 02:33 PM

Not this guys first time getting caught.

https://patch.com/rhode-island/narra...hing-ri-waters

DZ 09-18-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLH (Post 1151326)
Not this guys first time getting caught.

https://patch.com/rhode-island/narra...hing-ri-waters

Interesting - guy has a Mass comm license. This is his second bust - will/should he loose his license?

JohnR 09-18-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Yesterday in Point Judith, Officers Jeff Mercer and Anthony Esposito of DEM’s Division of Law Enforcement (DLE) seized 13 striped bass – 12 more than allowed for a recreational angler – from a Warren man returning from a fishing trip near Block Island. Upon boarding the boat, the Environmental Police Officers observed two stripers in plain sight but found the other 11 fish hidden in a compartment under the bow. Officers Mercer and Esposito charged Michael A. Saviano, 37, of Warren, with one count of exceeding the possession limit of striped bass and one count of failure to cut the pectoral fin. RI fisheries regulations require removing the right pectoral fin of a striped bass that’s at least 34 inches long at the time of harvest to signify that it was caught recreationally. It is illegal for recreational anglers to sell their catch.

The fisherman potentially faces $1,200 in fines — $100 for each fish illegally taken. DLE donated the fish to Amos House, the Providence-based social services agency that runs the state’s largest soup kitchen.

For more information on fishing seasons and catch limits, visit http://www.dem.ri.gov/marine

From DEM

ivanputski 09-18-2018 04:06 PM

sick of these people getting off the hook over and over with a skimpy fine that is just a part of doing business...
Drop the Effing HAMMER already!!!!

MAKAI 09-18-2018 04:07 PM

Pop an eye out 👁.
Poaching pirate needs a patch.

Guppy 09-18-2018 05:13 PM

From the Block?

wdmso 09-18-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1151342)
From the Block?

more than likely

t.orlando 09-18-2018 06:28 PM

1200$ in fines vs 50,000$ he probably made this summer

nightfighter 09-18-2018 07:05 PM

$5 per pound x 20# per fish x 12 fish = $1200. So all he loses is the day..... Not much of a deterrent IMO. Especially for a repeat offender.

Should load his boat with all his gear in a car crusher and make him watch... then load his truck in it for good measure.

JFigliuolo 09-19-2018 06:17 AM

While I agree with all of the sentiment... When you figure the degenerates that most judges see in a day, A guy keeping more fish than allowed is ridiculously trivial. Sucks, but sadly true.

PaulS 09-19-2018 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFigliuolo (Post 1151371)
While I agree with all of the sentiment... When you figure the degenerates that most judges see in a day, A guy keeping more fish than allowed is ridiculously trivial. Sucks, but sadly true.

Exactly my thoughts.

Clammer 09-19-2018 06:58 AM

&&&&&&&&&& that,s exactly the way most judges see it >>>>>>>>>its only a fish ><>

afterhours 09-19-2018 07:27 AM

Take the boat, gear, truck..everything 1k per fish fine, lose of license for 2 yr., Stop pussyfooting with these f'uk's.

thefishingfreak 09-19-2018 07:32 AM

Blackball this ahole !!
Mr. Michael A. Saviano of 424 Water Street in Warren RI

ivanputski 09-19-2018 07:43 AM

The judges jaded view of "it's just a fish" is exactly why these guys get away with it and continue to poach.

Of course when its compared to other crimes, it seems like no big deal...
But if that's how judges are going to operate, then dismiss my next damn
speeding ticket!

MAKAI 09-19-2018 08:58 AM

Just imagine what the Canal triads poach to bring to the restaurants they wash dishes in.

Nebe 09-19-2018 09:20 AM

2nd offense should be boat and truck confiscation with the proceeds of the sale of the aforementioned to go to habitat restoration and shoreline access improvements.

Slipknot 09-19-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAKAI (Post 1151411)
Just imagine what the Canal triads poach to bring to the restaurants they wash dishes in.

you mean those are striped dollar bills swimming in that canal?

fishbones 09-19-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 1151413)
2nd offense should be boat and truck confiscation with the proceeds of the sale of the aforementioned to go to habitat restoration and shoreline access improvements.

This

MakoMike 09-19-2018 11:50 AM

1) RI cannot revoke a MA commercial license
2) the 1200 fine is the maximum provided for by RI law.
3) if you don't like it get off your ass and write your state legislators to increase the fines, bitching about it here will accomplish nothing.

numbskull 09-19-2018 01:16 PM

But why can't MA revoke his license? Does their authority to do so only apply to violations occurring in MA or does it apply to anyone who holds a MA license?

MakoMike 09-19-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 1151454)
But why can't MA revoke his license? Does their authority to do so only apply to violations occurring in MA or does it apply to anyone who holds a MA license?

Because he didn't do anything wrong in MA! Think of it this way, I'll assume you have aMA or RI drivers license, if you get caught speeding in CT and don't pay the fine or show up in court, CT can't suspend your RI drivers license, all they can do is to suspend your right to drive in CT. But in this case they didn't even have a RI license so RI can't do much besides fine him.

Cool Beans 09-19-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1151443)
1) RI cannot revoke a MA commercial license
2) the 1200 fine is the maximum provided for by RI law.
3) if you don't like it get off your ass and write your state legislators to increase the fines, bitching about it here will accomplish nothing.

:agree:

numbskull 09-19-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1151457)
Because he didn't do anything wrong in MA! Think of it this way, I'll assume you have aMA or RI drivers license, if you get caught speeding in CT and don't pay the fine or show up in court, CT can't suspend your RI drivers license, all they can do is to suspend your right to drive in CT. But in this case they didn't even have a RI license so RI can't do much besides fine him.

That doesn't answer the question. Obviously RI can't revoke a MA license, but why can't MA....no matter where the offense took place? Don't they control the rules for who gets or looses a license?

He has a MA license. If I have a MA driver license and am caught driving drunk at 120mph in RI, I would think MA has the option, if they choose, to suspend my license as a danger to the people of MA (though perhaps not). If I had a license to carry a firearm in MA and was guilty of a firearm violation in another state wouldn't I lose my MA license? He has a MA fishing license....not some constitutional right to sell fish in our state. He is presumably guilty of a fishing violation. Is MA legally obligated to ignore this or can they act at their own discretion to revoke his privilege to sell fish in the state? If not, why not and by what statute are they prohibited from doing so?

The Dad Fisherman 09-19-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1151457)

Actually they can, trust me, I know from experience :hee:

JohnR 09-19-2018 05:21 PM

I guess if they let him sell the fish in Mass, he might have lost his license there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 1151476)
Actually they can, trust me, I know from experience :hee:

:rotflmao:

Slipknot 09-19-2018 06:34 PM

Can anyone point out a case of poaching in Mass where the poacher lost their license or had it suspended? Judges seem to be quite liberal in that regard with slaps on the wrist and tiny fines so maybe the point is moot. Sad state of affairs.

Clammer 09-19-2018 06:48 PM

if they had waited until he crossed into Ma, he would have broken the federal Lacy Act ><><