Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Old Striper Lures and Tackle Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=26619)

JohnR 10-13-2005 04:51 PM

Old Striper Lures and Tackle Forum

I have had a request today, and not the first on this subject, about having an Old Lure Forum here on S-B. Whaddya think? I'll ask this here and on the main board... And let's say one of the new features coming up will make it nicer too :)

If you all do want it, what do you want it to be?

Thanks!

John

BigFish 10-13-2005 04:59 PM

:cool: Very cool...how about the "Tackle Attic" forum? :uhuh:

Christian 10-13-2005 05:25 PM

tackle addict attic

bassmaster 10-13-2005 05:31 PM

make flaptail amoderator
he knows more than most

Backbeach Jake 10-13-2005 06:14 PM

Flap knows more than I have brain space left to learn with. Name it "Lures of the Legends" or something :laughs:

capesams 10-13-2005 06:50 PM

that wood be nice,,,as long as you would beable to buy-sell-swap-wanted, but only vintage item's...nothing would be posted of new stuff as in repro's of older item's. the other forum's already cover that...nothing worse than collecting something if you can't do some horse trading when something pop's up, or atleast offer to sell an extra to another collector if someone is interested in that item.......that's what I beleive will keep a "collector's corner" alive and well.....my .02//

ps....mod's don't get to partake in the buying :devil:

vineyardblues 10-13-2005 06:56 PM

I would like to see a place we can go to and look up a maker and look at pictures of the lures they made. Also some history behind the maker.

I am sure we can find examples of almost every type made.

VB

redneck24 10-13-2005 07:00 PM

:btu:

justplugit 10-13-2005 07:27 PM

With the plug historians on this board that would be awesome.:hihi:

Diamond Tackle 10-13-2005 08:28 PM

Sounds great. I also agree, nothing new just Vintage stuff.
Flap for President !

sportyguy33 10-13-2005 09:19 PM

Vineyardblues
I was just looking at the 68 page Thread on the other Striper Board where you and winchmaster and other plug collectors were sharing pictures of all the old Plugs you guys collected over the years. Is there one or two or three
that you can say are your Favorites out of them all? If you do could you show us some picture of the Beautiful pieces of Fishing History

Thanks
Sportyguy33

thefishingfreak 10-13-2005 09:25 PM

how aboat
"wicked' old plugs"? :grins:

vineyardblues 10-14-2005 06:51 AM

Hey Sportyguy33,
If I could pic a favorite lure it would be one that I do not own!
I would love to get a soco cheif (adamR) I find that one as the all time striper plug :) Or maybe a Snookbait Weasel ,The caddy of striper plugs
I also have a soft spot for Hicky-do plugs,Bran Norris and the list go's on.
Plugs that I do not have,and most likely will never own :(

If this takes off over the fall and winter I am sure they will be posting many many pictures. We have many collectors on this board, Just to name a few
AdamR,CapeSam,CharlieM,Flap,Surfster,Tatto,Toby,an d many many more.
Most of them fishing hard as we speak!
This hobby kinda gets the blood flowing
It's all about stripers,friends and having fun

VB

Tattoo 10-14-2005 06:58 AM

VB,

If you happen to get a SoCo chief, can I have it when your dead? :cheers:

vineyardblues 10-14-2005 07:44 AM

u r 2 funny Mike , I can put it in my will to my daughter and maybe Jake and Jill will get married :)

VB

ps. I forgot,,, I do not have one, tell Jake not to call

Bernzy 10-14-2005 10:36 AM

An "Old School" plug forum?? Great idea :kewl:

Bernzy

bassmaster 10-14-2005 02:54 PM

just make flam a mod he necver shuts up any way
plus maybe he will burn plugs not spots
Ouch :rotf3:

rocketman 10-14-2005 05:01 PM

Good idea.

Tagger 10-14-2005 08:54 PM

YES ... to the vintage plug forum . would love to know more history about old time builders . Any chance of getting some old time builders involved ? Bob Hahn is still with us ,,Larry Welcome,, Metal lip .. Flap ofcourse

bassmaster 10-15-2005 09:00 AM

yeah and no selling it would just turn into another buy sell forum

gadabout 10-15-2005 09:53 AM

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Flaptail 10-17-2005 09:18 AM

I think that this would be a great thing. Keep it seperate from the plug building forum and have it as a reference library so to say for the builders. All collectors are not nescesarily builders and vice a versa. I would sugeest moving the Some Plugs thread sticky over to a the new forum as there is a treasure trove of pictures and information in that thread. I would also like to see things like old rods reels, creels bobbers, pictures etc. posted on it. I do not want to see it become a horse trading center. If you have old gear that you want to sell or any item shows you are interested trying to buy, pm the individual posting the items to see if he/she is interested in selling. Keep it off of the thread. This could become an extremely valuable resource for budding or veteran collectors alike and those just wanting to learn a little bit about the history of thier sport and you all should know it has a wonderful history with classic examples of lure developement for striped bass fishing and the crusty old characters behind the lures, rods and reels that were the forbears of what we know and what we use today.

Show us all what you got, there are lots of plugs still out there hanging in garages, basements and stuffed in old tackle boxes still to be discovered. I know I want to see them and I am sure all of you do too. :uhuh:

Backbeach Jake 10-17-2005 05:46 PM

This New Forum would be a treasure trove for guys like me who are starting to get the itch to reproduce the classics. I have a few that I wouldn't dare swim ( not many,.. OK two) but would like some expert guidance in what's beneath the paint and how to expect them to perform.

Tagger 10-17-2005 07:49 PM

I would like to know more about the old crusty builders.. Bob Pond comes to mind .. like that story in the franky d book where Bob sees Frank working a popper and tells him if it was a good popper it would swim ... HUH ? and proceeds to swim Frank d's popper ..I think the forums a great idea ... Do IT !!!

striperondafly 10-18-2005 12:14 PM

great idea!!!!!!

Johnny C 10-19-2005 02:07 PM

anyone know...

I am looking for a name of the manufactuer of a popper I have. Someone told me it was a "herder" or Hurter or hurder I can't remember.....
Form the 50's or 60's

vineyardblues 10-20-2005 10:12 AM

Herter's plastic poppers
VB

SurfKing 03-22-2006 01:05 AM

Let's get this vintage plug forum started. Can't wait to share some vintage baits and see what everyone else has.:gu:

Skitterpop 03-22-2006 01:19 AM

Great Idea!

:boots: History, Builders/Manufacturers,What the lure was designed to do(besides catch fish and make money), photos, photos , photos