Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Another top coat (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=45935)

ProfessorM 01-01-2008 07:34 PM

Another top coat

Well another site I have frequented for a few years , mostly fresh water lures, has been talking about this product for some time and I was wondering if anyone has any exposure to it to offer an opinion. Looks interesting but then they all do at first. It is explained as a one part moisture cured polyurethane, whatever the hell that is.
http://www.#^&#^&#^&#^&nite.com/s81.htm

Tagger 01-01-2008 08:05 PM

I noticed they have all thier own paints with it . I know they use alot of that moisture cure urethane on hardwood flooring .. always meant to try it .

ProfessorM 01-01-2008 08:10 PM

One problem I see with it is storage. Seems if you don't store it away from air it will kick. Several have said they can't get cover off again. They say put it in several small glass jars and limit the exposure to air. Some dip some brush some spray. Here are a few post which might explain it better
http://www.tackleunderground.com/for...ght=#^&#^&#^&#^&+Nites

stripercrazy 01-01-2008 08:51 PM

discount

got to give them some credit, discounted it to builders, read a post where they drill the can and use a screw to get the product out

Canalman 01-01-2008 11:50 PM

Well, I don;t know about THAT moisture cure, but the ones we sold for flooring at the Paint Store were VERY aggressive and would lift almost anything. I'd bet that it's only compatible with his paints... don't know though. The quest for the right clear is an endless road I think :bc:

Also, remember that top coat is not the secret... it's a system, and your system is only as good as it's weakest component.

ProfessorM 01-02-2008 09:54 AM

I asked about water based paints, Createx, and several said they have no issues with it but you have to heat set your paint. I am sure it is probably toxic too. It is maddening. Just was curious if anyone had any exposure to it.

Krispy 01-02-2008 10:53 AM

I've been thinking about making my clearcoat available to the plugbuilding community
Is there an interest for a 1 part clear, viscosity of house paint, brushable, self leveling,super tough,non cracking, air dry, type of product?

LaPala 01-02-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krispy (Post 551751)
I've been thinking about making my clearcoat available to the plugbuilding community
Is there an interest for a 1 part clear, viscosity of house paint, brushable, self leveling,super tough,non cracking, air dry, type of product?

I'd want a few more characteristics:
crystal clear, water proof, UV resistant, non-yellowing, thin buildup or cured density as close to water as possible, and slight elasticity.

And a few questions:
What is working time & curing time?
How tough is tough?
I would prefer sprayable too.

:grins::grins:

ProfessorM 01-02-2008 11:28 AM

Lets hear it. I am all ears

Pete F. 01-02-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krispy (Post 551751)

I am considering offering you my first born child

Jigman 01-02-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canalman (Post 551691)
....Also, remember that top coat is not the secret... it's a system, and your system is only as good as it's weakest component.

Wise words. Everyone looks at their topcoat, but forgets what they put under it is often more important. After all, if your primer does not stick to your sealer, it really doesn't matter what you use for a topcoat. Its all coming off anyway.

From a practical side, gotta consider ease of use, availability, expense, safety, and compatability. What is "best" for a commercial builder is probably different that what is "best" for the hobby builder.

Jigman

Krispy 01-02-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaPala (Post 551761)
I'd want a few more characteristics:
crystal clear, water proof, UV resistant, non-yellowing, thin buildup or cured density as close to water as possible, and slight elasticity.

And a few questions:
What is working time & curing time?
How tough is tough?
I would prefer sprayable too.

:grins::grins:

Excellent Qs.
Waterproof, of course.
It is slightly elastic, were it hit with hammer it will dent vs crack.
It is not water like crystal clear. It does have a slight amber noticable over snow white paints.You couldn't tell over any other color.
It is UV stable and non yellowing
This clear is not water thin, it has the consistencet of a urethane or oil base paint. That's what I was looking for, its has a deep luster with 1 thin coat. Who wants to apply 20 coats to get a decent sheen?
Working time is prbly 1 hour, cure time is a week for fishable but over extended time it gets super hard
Mt clear is by far the easiest to use, strongest and best looking product around

Illepand into greater detail but working from Blackberry is a PITA

Krispy 01-02-2008 12:59 PM

Also sprayable
Non toxic when cured and about as Dangerous as oil paint. Could use indoors w ventilation but wouldn't sleep w it under my pillow
Also doesn't require spinning, heat etc to cure

Slipknot 01-02-2008 01:11 PM

I've tried most everything

Moisture cured is cured over time from the humidity in the air, so if you are in Arizona, you will need to adapt.

Krispy, I'd be interested in trying something else, what the hell, I've spent close to 1000 bucks so far and am not thrilled with any of the stuff. Epoxy is a pain, one part stuff usually sucks but if you say it's tough, I'll try it. Is it moisture cured? you say 1 hour working time, does that mean untill it tacks up and after that no more brushing? :huh: or is it a potlife thing?

eastendlu 01-02-2008 02:00 PM

I'm intrested in this also.

Tagger 01-02-2008 02:57 PM

Paul ... that stuff says thin with acetone ... reminds me of my propionate nightmares .. great sealer ... try using over paint ... any paint ... melts quicker than fried ice cream ..

ProfessorM 01-02-2008 02:59 PM

I asked the guy on the other site and he says he uses over Createx, heat cured, and has no problems at all for quite some time. But that is him and not me. Murphys Law is always looking for me.

Krispy 01-02-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 551794)
I've tried most everything

Moisture cured is cured over time from the humidity in the air, so if you are in Arizona, you will need to adapt.

Krispy, I'd be interested in trying something else, what the hell, I've spent close to 1000 bucks so far and am not thrilled with any of the stuff. Epoxy is a pain, one part stuff usually sucks but if you say it's tough, I'll try it. Is it moisture cured? you say 1 hour working time, does that mean untill it tacks up and after that no more brushing? :huh: or is it a potlife thing?

Yeah Slip, its tough.
Its not a moisture cure.
Also, theres no potlife, its useable until it tacks up and then just wait overnight if you need to recoat. By far the most user friendly and dummy proof product Ive tried

Diggin Jiggin 01-02-2008 06:42 PM

dummy proof sure sounds good, I hate epoxy...

eastendlu 01-02-2008 07:27 PM

Ok Krispy what is it Bannana oil ?

Woodbuster 01-02-2008 08:02 PM

What would I need to clean my spraygun with when I'm done?

Krispy 01-02-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastendlu (Post 551913)
Ok Krispy what is it Bannana oil ?

Lu, Im working w/ manufacturer on getting smaller quantities avail. for the plugbuilding community.
WB, just mineral spirits to clean up

Nebe 01-02-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krispy (Post 551931)
Lu, Im working w/ manufacturer on getting smaller quantities avail. for the plugbuilding community.

You can market it as "Krispy Creme" :laughs:

justplugit 01-02-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 551616)
Well another site I have frequented for a few years , mostly fresh water lures, has been talking about this product for some time and I was wondering if anyone has any exposure to it to offer an opinion. Looks interesting but then they all do at first. It is explained as a one part moisture cured polyurethane, whatever the hell that is.
http://www.#^&#^&#^&#^&nite.com/s81.htm

LOL,P., your always lookin for something to drive you crazy. :hihi: :D

Pete F. 01-03-2008 06:36 AM

Sounds like something even a roofer could use.

eastendlu 01-03-2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krispy (Post 551931)

Thanks Krispy :happy:

tobias 01-03-2008 10:17 AM

Is this what you were telling me about out at Cutty?

Hope all is well with the family:buds:

LaPala 01-03-2008 11:46 AM

Acetone thinned Krispy? I hate that from experience with prop. Pain in the u know where. :(

Does it require Hazard shipping? I'm very far away. And I was told for some other stuff, per shipment hazard shipping is at least 300-400 big ones :gorez:

Krispy 01-03-2008 02:14 PM

Tobias,
It is the clear I was describing on Cutty
I know you have/had some of my lures w this finish. Maybe you could give your evaluation of this cured coating to folks here

Krispy 01-03-2008 03:12 PM

OK, so I have had a half dozen people PM me whether I am using a particular product. Its not and apparently there are a lot of people using the same super secret clear coat :)
I have tried it and this is far superior IMO