Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Home Brewers?? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=77421)

Nebe 05-06-2012 02:13 PM

Home Brewers??

I know Saltheart is a home brewer.. Is anyone else doing this awesome hobby? I have just geared up to to all-grain brewing. Can't wait to reap my rewards.

Saltheart 05-06-2012 02:24 PM

You should search. I posted a lot about brewing here but its spread out all over. Just try searching "Brewing"

Nebe 05-06-2012 02:34 PM

I will! We need a forum!!! Brewers Unite!!! :)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe 05-06-2012 02:38 PM

I have to be careful, because the next thing I know, I could start using my back up equipment for my glass studio to make an automated system.. Lol!

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/...r/1798ea60.jpg

Pete_G 05-07-2012 10:41 AM

Was the Lagunitas the last straw?

Looking forward to sampling this latest experiment...

Nebe 05-07-2012 10:52 AM

You'll get some Pete. It will take a while for the first batch to be ready though. Probably september

Nebe 05-07-2012 10:53 AM

The last straw was realizing how good a beer you can make on your own for under 75 cents a bottle :)

Saltheart 05-07-2012 11:58 AM

Your beer should be ready in about a month. Only very very high alc beers need to aged. Yes you can age others and sometimes they get better but for the most part , beer should be treated like bread. Fresh beer tastes good. I think optimum is about 5 days in primary fermenter m, 10 days in secondary fermenter when dry hopping and 2 to 4 weeks in the bottles.

Man guys go 1 week in primary , 2weeks in bottles , then drink it.

I used to brew competitively and sometimes if pressed for time to get an entry into a contest I would brew it , primary 5 days , dry hop in secondary 5 days then force cabonate using CO2 pressure overnight and into the contest. Won several using that method but of course its not the best , but it works! :)

Raven 05-07-2012 02:50 PM

this is a little off topic...

i love beer ....but it don't love me.... (i always drink just one now)

if i drink even one beer "of the wrong kind"
i wake up with a migraine headache that makes
hangovers look like a super vacation in RIO

I happen to prefer ales and only certain ales will do this...

had a seirra nevada recently and i was just fine!
wife bought new castle ale - gave me the migraine
bought a sixer of dogfish head ale and i was just fine

so, i am trying to isolate whether it's an ingredient
or an impurity. :huh:

the funny thing about HOPS in herbal lore is
it's known to be an effective sedative.

Nebe 05-07-2012 04:18 PM

Raven, Im thinking i might try to grow my own hops.. Saltheart, in pure nebe fashion, i deceded to get everything to brew a belgium tripel.. But if your right.. then all the better. :buds:

spence 05-07-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 937610)
Raven, Im thinking i might try to grow my own hops.. Saltheart, in pure nebe fashion, i deceded to get everything to brew a belgium tripel.. But if your right.. then all the better. :buds:

Not what I would have suggested for your first home brew :hidin:

-spence

Nebe 05-07-2012 04:39 PM

hehehehe

Nebe 05-07-2012 04:41 PM

ive done two other batches so far, but out in Colorado... a simple pale ale that was to die for and an imperial double IPA that was a clone recipe of harpon's Leviathan double IPA..... so its not technically my first batch.

Saltheart 05-08-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven (Post 937592)
this is a little off topic...

i love beer ....but it don't love me.... (i always drink just one now)

if i drink even one beer "of the wrong kind"
i wake up with a migraine headache that makes
hangovers look like a super vacation in RIO

I happen to prefer ales and only certain ales will do this...

had a seirra nevada recently and i was just fine!
wife bought new castle ale - gave me the migraine
bought a sixer of dogfish head ale and i was just fine

so, i am trying to isolate whether it's an ingredient
or an impurity. :huh:

the funny thing about HOPS in herbal lore is
it's known to be an effective sedative.

You give only 3 clues but based on those three beers , the problem seems to be that you cannot tolerate a lot of Dextrins. New castle will have lots of unfermented sugars called dextrins or malto Dextrins. The other two you listed will have some but much less.

Anyway , stay away from dark beers , maybe even anything amber or darker.

Saltheart 05-08-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 937610)

Nothing wrong with beer being ready "too soon". :)

Raven 05-08-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltheart (Post 937787)
You give only 3 clues but based on those three beers , the problem seems to be that you cannot tolerate a lot of Dextrins. New castle will have lots of unfermented sugars called dextrins or malto Dextrins. The other two you listed will have some but much less.

i will look into dextrins thanks

Nebe 05-08-2012 02:21 PM

I have the same issue as raven. I dont get headaches, but I will get a severe case of insomnia as my body has a little sugar party while I try to sleep. . Dark ales do it every time.

Raven 05-08-2012 05:25 PM

AND THAT Nebe, is because Beer is the slowest thing to "Digest"

and alcohol gets broken down into sugar...

i suspect dehydration is a factor as well

Nebe 05-08-2012 06:40 PM

Dehydration? Impossible!! I drank 4 beers :)

JohnnySaxatilis 05-08-2012 07:05 PM

im the same. guiness kills me, or any really dark beer. especially since its so delicious.

Jenn 05-08-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Wow I am actually really glad this was brought up. Up until about 2 years ago I never seemed to have problem with "feeling like crap" from beer drinking. This is also about the same time I really got into the darker beers (also mostly what I drink now) I was starting to fear it had something to do with the malt or hops and that I would one day have to give it all up. Now I think I will experiment with lighter beers to see if I notice a difference! Thanks Guys!

Raven 05-09-2012 10:31 AM

problem is: Beer makes you snore like a bulldozer :doh:

Raven 05-18-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Nope! not gonna stay away from Dark beers because they are my favorite over light beers but i have more clues....

two Sam Adam brown ales gave me a mushy head in the morning

but DIRTY BASTARD beer doesnt... i gravitate to sweeter beer
i guess.... sad that belhaven scottish ale went low class
i won't even buy it now
McEwans is awesome ............... gets you drunk in 3 bottles, well me anyways

Raven 05-18-2012 08:08 PM

Nebe there was an old myth that you could graft a hops top onto a weed stalk
and they would "take" and make special hops.....

like i said a myth....
hops grow like twenty feet high.....

Raven 05-18-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn (Post 937873)
Wow I am actually really glad this was brought up. Up until about 2 years ago I never seemed to have problem with "feeling like crap" from beer drinking. This is also about the same time I really got into the darker beers (also mostly what I drink now) I was starting to fear it had something to do with the malt or hops and that I would one day have to give it all up. Now I think I will experiment with lighter beers to see if I notice a difference! Thanks Guys!

Jenn i think it's a reaction to sugar ....

as the alcohol breaks down it messes with your glucose levels

i make sure to drink some water before bedtime and take some childrens aspirin because (still a Nsaid drug) they are mild

alieve and ibuprophen make me bleed internally so i no longer take them ever .... off the list as we love to proclaim

Nebe 05-18-2012 09:06 PM

My dad told me about that ganja/hops myth.. I don't believe it

luds 05-19-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete_G (Post 937518)
Was the Lagunitas the last straw?

Looking forward to sampling this latest experiment...

Is that stuff good? I've tried to order it a couple times with dinner and they were out botg places. Maybe that is a sign.

I never grab it because it's always in te case next to Flower Power, Dogfish, Hop Devil, and Mayflower where I get beer and that's tough competition.

Nebe 05-19-2012 09:40 AM

It's really good.

spence 05-19-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luds (Post 939719)
Is that stuff good? I've tried to order it a couple times with dinner and they were out botg places. Maybe that is a sign.

I never grab it because it's always in te case next to Flower Power, Dogfish, Hop Devil, and Mayflower where I get beer and that's tough competition.

I'd take any of those over the Lagunitas...something about it just doesn't speak to me.